Bilateral TKR Scheduled February 2016

I'm sorry about your shoulder. Have you tried icing that?
 
Thanks, I did ice it a bit. It is feeling better but I haven't put any weight on it yet. Let it heal a bit more. Swim PT hasn't been arranged yet, I will be calling there tomorrow morning. For lunch I am going to meet a friend who had both her knees done at the same time about a year ago. I know it will wear me out but it will be fun to drive and get out. Hoping I can stop by HomeGoods to get some Coffee flavor syrups, all out of them and can't start my day without them. :SUNsmile:

I am so out of shape from waiting for three years to get my knees done that I wonder what is next. I just kept waiting and doing less and less. Now I am such a fragile flower! ha! I think I would heartily recommend getting knees done as soon as possible, don't sit and wait, becoming fragile and getting less out of life. I can't undo it but I can warn and encourage.
 
Went out to meet a friend for lunch. I could not get my legs under the booth, the leg was so close to the bench so we moved to a table. She had both her knees done a year ago now realized she worked too hard on her recovery and went back to work too soon. She is going to take a rest now this summer to gain more strength.

I was able to drive there, walk through the rain, sit at the table for more than hour and half, then go to Home Goods and get my coffee syrup! Made it back up the stairs home and now am icing a bit. Nothing hurts, just a little tired. So I feel pretty good about that. :happydance::yay:

Tomorrow's schedule is filling up pretty quick, appointment, pick up people, dinner out. I don't know how that will all go. I can always take a break at any point and regroup though. We will see what happens.

PT for swim evaluation is next Tuesday. This is moving really slowly. :chinstroke:
 
Mod help, question: So now my husband has to schedule a hip surgery! He was diagnosed with a birth defect last year that has a misshaped socket making the ball hit and hurt. He never really noticed it for decades. Amazing. We have been putting that off for about a year because of his work. For some time he was under the impression that he had to be able to be back to work at 100% with no limitations to do his heavy work. He is a government city employee and they have many rules regarding fit and ability to be back to work. But he had found out that isn't entirely true. So I will be perusing the hip side of this forum. Deciding if he should go for it now, because he is in a lot of pain, or wait till I feel up to par. It's getting hard. Should I start thread for him on the hip side or can I start one for asking questions?
 
KayeKaye,
You can start a thread in the pre op hip forum, you will get more responses from others going through the same thing as your husband. You can just cut and paste your post above to the thread you start in the pre op hip forum.
Sorry he has to go through this, you are going to be the bionic family.
 
@KayeKaye, I had a hip replacement a couple of years ago - also had a congenital issue that caused that one hip to wear badly. For me at least, it was a far easier recovery than knee and if I were him, I'd do it as soon as you feel able to contend with both of you not being 100%! Being more mobile before surgery will help him. I did not go to PT, but was still riding a bike (that didn't hurt) before surgery and was in pretty good shape. Basically just walked and it got better. Recovery was faster and less painful for me so I hope he has the same.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thanks so much, @Pumpkln I will do that this weekend.

@charmed-life I can't imagine having hip and knee surgery. You are an expert. Yes we are trying to do his hip as soon as I think I can manage. Might be ok to have both of us sick at home for a while. hmm.
 
Day 73 Week 11

What hurts:
Knee caps when I touch them
Incisions on fabric and sleeping
Standing too long, 10 minutes max for now. Maybe I need to practice standing more?
The entire area around the knee will hurt if touched
Outside of knees, about 10" long area, when touched, specially if I sleep on my side -but I still do.
Seated too long with feet down, over hour and half
Bending them too far, but I don't do that, just by accident at a public toilet, ugh

What doesn't hurt:
Sitting in the recliner, before surgery it was painful
Walking around the house, with cane or walker
Pedaling while I am doing it, so keeping it under 10 minutes or it hurts later
Stairs don't hurt, they are just challenging, awkward
 
Keep up the list - you should start seeing things disappear from the hurt list and go to the doesn't hurt list!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@charmed-life THAT'S great hear, I will do that! Sometimes I think I should be doing better and then sometimes I think I am doing great. It's so goofy.
 
@KayeKaye that sounds good, do you knees hurt to stand? Both mine do. I have a lot of pain but may inadvertently have joined the ODIC as we've been busy helping our son.
 
@KayeKaye that sounds good, do you knees hurt to stand? Both mine do. I have a lot of pain but may inadvertently have joined the ODIC as we've been busy helping our son.
Not so much pain in my knees when I stand as it is all way down the back of my legs and my back. I am just not used to standing, sat in my recliner for three years before the BTKR.
What is ODIC? Overdoing? I'm sorry your knees hurt to stand, that doesn't help things does it?
 
ODIC is "over did it club" . I have the same issue with standing for long periods, back pain. It's particularly bad in the morning, but I have arthritis in my back, so I figure that's the culprit.
 
Not so much pain in my knees when I stand as it is all way down the back of my legs and my back. I am just not used to standing, sat in my recliner for three years before the BTKR.
It will take a while but you'll gradually be more active as and after you recover from the surgery. You didn't become a couch potato overnight and you won't get used to activity overnight either. But I think you'll be very pleased eventually with what you can do.
 
Day 76 Week 12

Finally had my swim PT evaluation. Going back to the rehab facility I was greeted by many staff that remembered the lady that had both knees done at once! That was unexpected. They asked me if I would recommend anyone else doing them both at the same time. I really would, mainly because I would have a very hard time doing the second leg once I went through this. I have lost some ROM but I am not surprised. There may be up to 20 sessions as long as I am showing progress with a bit of ROM and work on my gait. My gait keeps getting mixed up, with walking on my toes and trying to hit heal down first. The best thing is the pool is just steps from the parking. Go through the door and there it is four feet to the next door to the pool. First swim is this Thursday. I really wonder how the warm water will feel on the scars.
 
I can guarantee the warm water will feel better than cold water. I still walked into the water in our unheated pool with trepidation last summer and it used to never bother me.
 
So glad to hear that, thanks @KarriB . Will swim tomorrow.

Now I have to find a suit that fits since I lost weight. I went out to Ulta make up store get some new foundation, not my favorite place. But it went well after I sat down and they did my makeup. After that I went to the Grocery store. Not Aldi's or a small one, a big one! Made it back to the car and just sat for a time. Then I came home and made supper. I can't believe all the walking I did. My legs still feel like cement bricks but once I am up and walking it gets better. It's like I don't want to sit anymore, once I am up and about I continue until I feel fatigued.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom