Guest viewing is limited

THR Schaargi Hip #2 Nov. 2

I have been busy and had spotty times on the forum as of late... and I am glad you got reassurance from your surgeon.
Had I have seen your post, I could've related my own experience with the frightening sensations I was not prepared for....most prevalent the first weeks.

Here are some of my posts from my recovery thread....
@Josephine alot of let pain is when stretching legs out when walking... Burning hot poker, incision stretching??? PT says although they did anterior approach and didn't cut through quads, they cut through tiny nerves, and that's what I feel. It can be intense! Sound reasonable to you?
Anybody including nurse relate to those weird awful burning pains from extending legs further than baby steps going up sides of legs parallel to incisions. Feels like I'm tearing something loose? Nurse @Josephine ?
@Josephine @Jaycey Intense burning pain is as I'm walking. The more I try to extend my legs and get off of baby steps, there is a searing stinging pain seems to run parallel to my incisions... When I mentioned it to PT, afraid I was tearing something loose in there, she said it might be the little nerves they cut. It was anterior approach so no major muscles cut, but I have surgical mesh/glue... And she said not from that but from nerves. Does that sound feasible? Anyone else experience that feeling. Hard to get better gait when it can be pretty intense.

The burning lessened and was replaced with fleeting zips and zaps....
All Temporary....hope all eases soon.
 
Day 5:

My strength and stamina continue to improve every day. Three days ago, I did 2 5-minute walks. The next day, the same walks felt easy. Today I went outside and walked for 7 minutes. I will do another one soon.

I am elated with that part of my recovery and I promise not to overdo it. I feel so lucky in that department!

As for the items that still have a ways to go...

I have a weird ache in my side/back ribs opposite my surgical leg. It might be the way I'm leaning on the crutches, maybe. No idea. I'm icing it right now.

I'm having a hard time getting in and out of bed, mostly due to restrictions. At 5 days, I think it's perfectly normal!

The bigger issue is the burning, searing, nerve pain. Oh, I hope this isn't a case of damaged nerves that will take a year to heal. The pain is excruciating. It isn't constant, but pops up after I have been resting for more than a minute or two.

Fingers crossed that it will get better...
 
The burning lessened and was replaced with fleeting zips and zaps....
All Temporary....hope all eases soon.

@Mojo333, you made my day! After my last experience, I learned that nerves take forever to heal (my doc's estimate was a year; it's been 16 months and I'm still not there for the other leg).

So... Do you still have fleeting zaps and zips? How long did it take to dissipate? I know you and I are not the same person in the same situation, but it sure helps to know that someone else has survived something similar. I've never felt pain like this.

Thank you so much for posting and giving me hope.
 
:wave:
My memory is fading a bit as it is has been 4 1/2 years now since my BTHR....but looking over my recovery thread, it seems like the searing burning lessened after about 7 to 10 days.
Then I had little electrical zings out of nowhere that would make me catch my breath, but disappeared as quickly as they came.
This would be several times per day and then maybe only once a day for the first month and then only every once and a while after that for the next three months.

I had large patches of numbness also that I thought may end up being permanent...but by 14-16 months...all gone.

So... Do you still have fleeting zaps and zips? How long did it take to dissipate? I know you and I are not the same person in the same situation, but it sure helps to know that someone else has survived something similar. I've never felt pain like this.
No more zips and zaps.:tada:

We all do have different recoveries but you should certainly keep all slow and steady until things can calm down and do discuss with your OS at your first post-op.

I can understand your anxiousness due to the nerve issue with hip #1...:console2:
Keep the ice going and try not to extend your stride too much these 1st weeks...
Baby steps will get you there.
 
Day 6:

First, is Day 1 the day of your surgery or the day after? I started counting the day after. Of course, now I'm concerned about the organization of my posts... :rotfl:

I had a rough night. I can't get comfortable on my back with my legs straight (what a surprise) so I've been bending my knees up and leaning them against a tower of pillows. I must have been too agitated last night for that to work.

The past two nights, I've had an odd issue with my back. I say "odd" because it's something I've never felt before. It's not like a back ache or the twinge I've been dealing with that is supposedly a bulging disk. It aches on my left side, where my lat muscles are, but I get no relief from stretching my lats or icing the spot. Twice now, it has popped up at exactly 4 a.m. and won't go away. It feels ... maybe internal? Any ideas out there or is it just another ache/pain that is part of my body being angry over the surgery?

@Mojo333, I went through your thread last night to see if I could glean any info about the burning, searing pain. Your reaction to your phone's autocorrect cracked me up! I feel bad that you were miserable physically for a while, and that autocorrect was just adding insult to injury. Oh my gosh, I was laughing out loud. You are one funny girl!

The burning feeling is continuing, but I now have hope it isn't permanent. Thanks, all!
 
Wrapping up Day 6:

I can't believe how well I'm walking. I feel symmetrical and surprisingly strong. Went on a very slow 15-minute walk today and it went well. Also spent about 45 minutes at a birthday party (THAT was exhausting!)

Still getting the hot poker burning feeling. It seems to pop up after I've been still for a few minutes. I get up, and then as soon as I use my thigh muscles or put weight on that leg, it ramps up and BURNS. I'm getting used to it now and while it is quite painful, it is less scary.

My followup with the NP is Friday. We will see what happens this week. So much better than Hip #1.:yahoo:
 
Wow! Forty-five minutes at a birthday party. That was pretty ambitious for Day Six. I don’t think I could have accomplished that. It feels good though to participate in life, even if it’s only for a short period of time. It’s reassuring to read that you continue to find this recovery easier than the first. Now..if only that annoying burning sensation would stop. I hope it begins easing soon. :fingersx:
A great Monday to you!
@Schaargi
 
To be clear, it was a very small, very mellow birthday party. I had plenty of rest before and after. I'm glad I tried it. I will continue to try little things here and there as I get stronger.

The nighttime issues have hit me with a vengeance the past couple of days. Oooohhh, I have the worst time trying to sleep on my back. My back is really painful and the pain meds for my hip don't seem to do a darn thing toward relieving my back pain. Ugh.

Other than back pain, inability to sleep, and the burning, searing pain, this recovery is so much smoother than my other one. My hip joint feels pretty good. No excessive swelling or pain; just what seems normal for a major surgery. It's not all rainbows and bunnies, but I can handle it!

(OK, I can say that now, but last night at 5 a.m., I wasn't quite so optimistic.) :wink:
 
Sorry to hear of tough nights. Back pain could be all the strain after surgery we go thru a lot just of rehab and it is tough on our poor struggling joints and muscles… backs, knees…
it might be a good thing to ask for x-ray on back. Is pain in lower back? Could be from so many things until diagnosis for treatment. We had bad hips which take a toll on backs need adjustments once diagnosis identified.
I had same issue and bought a soft elastic back support with easy Velcro clasp to help with all the usual stress thru rehab Really helped.
Taking anti inflamatories help, be sure to check with doc first. Sleep on back with pillows under knees and both sides of lower back really help relieve the pain. Takes some fiddling with pillows to get it comfy. Stomach or side sleeping is not good for painful backs or healthy ones.
Also warm heat applied will help relax the back . Rest until it’s better … sending healing blessings your way.
 
Feel so bad for you! That was awful for me too. I never slept on my back before, due to various issues as well. I did find, a pillow under my knees, helped a little. Waking up with a sandpaper mouth is not nice either. I hope it’s the same for you, but last night on day 13, I finally could go back to my side. Such a relief.

My hat is off to you, for going to a birthday party! That is awesome!
 
I think it’s great you made it to the birthday party. This isn’t your first rodeo and I know you realize when you’re getting close to your limit. That’s a positive when it comes to a second THR, I would imagIne. With the first, it’s often trial and error…and sometimes the dreaded ODIC! :groan:
I have the worst time trying to sleep on my back. My back is really painful and the pain meds for my hip don't seem to do a darn thing toward relieving my back pain.
Does ice help at all? Icing certainly doesn’t sound comfy / cozy when you’re attempting to fall asleep, but wondering if it would help to ice right before you think you’ll be falling asleep.
I hope the back issue, searing pain and inability to sleep pass soon. I’m sorry you’re dealing with all.
 
First, is Day 1 the day of your surgery or the day after? I started counting the day after. Of course, now I'm concerned about the organization of my posts... :rotfl:
You are correct in your thinking. Day 1 is the day after your surgery. At least that is how my surgeon wanted me to count the days. I remember worrying about the accuracy of my posts, too.. haha
Sorry to read about your burning pains. Is there a possibility of sleeping in more of a seated position? It sounds to me like the flat on your back positioning is bothering you and your incision.
I had that issue and found that sleeping in my recliner was much more comfortable. Or I used a ton of pillows under my legs, so comfortable that way.
Other than that, I am so glad to see how well you are doing. Early days, you know? Early days.
 
Does ice help at all? Icing certainly doesn’t sound comfy / cozy when you’re attempting to fall asleep, but wondering if it would help to ice right before you think you’ll be falling asleep.
I hope the back issue, searing pain and inability to sleep pass soon. I’m sorry you’re dealing with all.
Yes, we are thinking along the same lines! I had two ice packs at the ready last night and will do the same tonight. One of the areas in my back responded to the ice last night. I will continue the experiments tonight.
 
So... Here's a question for everyone regarding sleeping positions.

I had anticipated this difficulty before my surgery and asked my physical therapist about putting pillows under my knees or sleeping in a lounge chair, sitting up partially. She said it's optimum to sleep flat so that your hip flexor gets a chance to relax and stretch out and doesn't heal in a slightly flexed position.

Does this make sense to anyone? (Or not?)
 
Does this make sense to anyone? (Or not?)
Nope - doesn't make any sense at all. You can do light stretches to stretch out your hip flexor. But sleeping in a recliner or with a small pillow under your knees won't impact anything - except maybe allow you a bit more comfortable sleep.
 
So... Here's a question for everyone regarding sleeping positions.

I had anticipated this difficulty before my surgery and asked my physical therapist about putting pillows under my knees or sleeping in a lounge chair, sitting up partially. She said it's optimum to sleep flat so that your hip flexor gets a chance to relax and stretch out and doesn't heal in a slightly flexed position.

Does this make sense to anyone? (Or not?)
I got that too when I had my pre-op, wth the physical therapist. I had bought a lift chair and thought I could use that. I was also worried, about my bed being too high. She said, it was better to lay flat, but I could sleep on either side and not to use the leg lifter for too long. I’m sorry, there was no way I could sleep on my operated side and it just felt like, my leg was pulling apart, on my non-operated side, Pillows under my knees, made it barely manageable. Hope it gets better for you soon.
 
@Bodie'sMom Wow, there's no way that I could have slept flat on my back immediately after the THR! Sometimes I wonder about PT's and their advice, especially if they haven't had a surgery like this, themselves?

@Schaargi That is sad that you were told this, it seems like unnecessary suffering to me.
I always sleep with a pillow under my knees, it helps keep my spine happy. I've had 2 THR's, both anterior and don't think the pillows hampered my recovery in any way.
I will say that my surgeon wanted me up and walking, even a few steps, every hour. I think that kept my hip flexors lengthened.
 
seems like unnecessary suffering to me.

Yes, it certainly feels like unnecessary suffering!

Thanks, @CricketHip, @Bodie’sMom, and @Jaycey!

I had taken my PT's advice with a grain of salt, and after 2 nights of attempting to sleep flat, I threw in the towel. I appreciate your input; I will quit trying for sure. I'm walking every waking hour, so my hip is getting stretched.

I am still having a terrible time trying to sleep, even without that restriction. I have two different issues with my back-- one is a possible bulging disk, which is helped somewhat with pillows under my knees, but my legs have to be significantly elevated to feel relief.

The other issue is that my latissimus dorsi muscle is super tender when I lie on my back. I can handle it for about an hour, but the rest of the night is unbearable. It feels tight and almost a little bruised. The pain level is only about a 3 or 4, but it's constant and I can't ignore it enough to doze off. I'm wondering why the Tramadol, Tylenol and Oxycodone aren't helping. The meds are doing a great job on my hip pain, but not on my back pain.

I've tried icing, stretching, massage, elevating my knees at various heights, elevating my head, more ice, gentle heat, more ice...

I have my 10-day followup with the surgeon's NP on Friday and will ask. I hope she isn't dismissive. They always think that if the x-ray looks good their jobs are done. Hrmph.

Other than the sleeping issue, my healing is moving right along! I'm walking every day for 15-20 minutes with my 89-year-old mom. It's good for both of us.

I think I mis-counted my days. I believe I'm on Day 7 now. Woo hoo!
 
Last edited:
@Schaargi I also disagree with the PT. When I had my BTHR I had a rented hospital bed and slept with legs elevated for several months . While I did not like sleeping on my back, having the legs elevated did help with reducing swelling ... and made no difference that I could see as regards any muscle/tendon functionality.
 
Your latissimus pain sounds weird.. can you recall any movements that would have strained it?
My other thought is about your statement a few days ago about not being able to burp. Do you think that it contributing to the latt pain? The latissimus is very close to the shoulder area and indigestion and gas can refer pain there, if I recall correctly. Especially acid indigestion. I know it gets me like that occasionally.

Just a thought. Wouldn't it be nice if a couple antacids fixed things?
 
Last edited:

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom