THR Schaargi Hip #2 Nov. 2

Thanks, @HelenaM

The surgeon I chose does the anterior approach. I also liked the surgeon who does the antero-lateral approach, but I picked this guy because of the calmness and kindness he exuded. Also, he's been in town for over 30 years and I know several people who have had procedures done by him. I was a little worried that he would be a bit out of date, having been doing this for so long, but every question I asked him assured me that he is completely up to date.

My nerve damage wasn't the cutaneous nerve, it was the main femoral nerve in front, so I lost the use of my quads for several months. It's not completely gone but I'm still working on it (almost 15 months out). I'm glad yours is better!
 
As promised, I wanted to let everyone know about my yoga saga... I'm tagging @Boxmaker1917, as this pertains to their post.

First... I have practiced yoga for 30 years. I'm not a contortionist, but I have a strong practice. My practice is not limited to flexibility. It includes some flexibility, some strength, some balance, and breathing/meditation. I am super body-aware and know my limits and am able to modify if needed. This is my experience with my own research (some via medical journals) and conversations with yoga people and also with professionals. There are certainly many more opinions, so make sure you trust the sources where you are getting information.

I had an anterior-approach THR in June 2020. I had asked my surgeon, who assured me I could get back to my old activities, including yoga. The restrictions for several months following the surgery included not extending back, not turning my leg out, and NOT doing the two at once, as you might when you throw your leg back to kick a soccer ball. At 6 months, he released me with no restrictions.

At my 1 year checkup, I told him I was having problems with a couple of yoga poses --reclined bound angle pose and warriors 1 and 2. The surgical hip had trouble when it was in back for warrior 1 and in front for warrior 2. I showed him pictures of the poses so he could understand. He told me that if I wanted to dislocate my hip, that would be the way to do it. His concern is the turning out while extending back.

I was devastated. Honestly, I cried for 3 months solid. People told me I should be grateful that I no longer have the pain I had before and I just need to modify. But who does yoga without warrior? I even cried when I experimented on how I could modify. A couple of yoga people told me that I should have asked for a dual mobility implant, but I know people who have had traditional implants and are fine with yoga.

My physical therapist talked me down a bit, explaining that, after a year, I would need to apply significant force in those positions for it to dislocate. She explained that my surgeon is super conservative (she knows him) and I can play with the poses GENTLY.

In the meantime, my other hip was failing. I went on a quest for a surgeon and, while on my quest, gathered a lot of information regarding yoga and hip replacements. I read articles that weren't definitive. (Although one concluded that the fewer the restrictions a surgeon places on a patient, the greater the satisfaction, no matter what the patient could actually do.) I saw 4 hip replacement specialists. Two agreed with my physical therapist and told me to be gentle. One gave me the greatest advice:

"Remember when you started yoga and you couldn't do the poses? And when you are in classes and can tell that someone is new to yoga? Your new hip is a beginner. You need to be patient with it and teach it how to do yoga."

The fourth surgeon has a wife who teaches yoga. He knew exactly what I was talking about and told me a lot of it depends on communication with your surgeon. He didn't think a dual mobility implant was warranted and didn't believe it has the documented longevity that he, personally, needed to assure his surgery went well. I've decided to have him do my surgery.

Lessons learned:
  1. Bring pictures of the things you do that are important to you and make sure your surgeon pays attention and puts some thought into his or her answers.
  2. Don't insist on a certain approach or implant. I thought for sure I needed that dual mobility implant, but 3 surgeons told me it wasn't warranted or didn't have proven longevity, and one told me he would do whatever I wanted (which is weird--isn't he supposed to be the expert?)
  3. The approach or technique (such as Superpath) doesn't matter as much as the surgeon does. Each surgeon is an expert at the way he or she performs the surgery. Trust that. (Although I LOVE my forward bends and didn't think I could handle the 90 degree rule, even for 6-8 weeks so I did lean toward the anterior approach.)
  4. No surgeon is going to tell you that you will be able to do stuff like put your foot behind your head because if you do it and dislocate, you'll blame them.
  5. Dislocations are rare, and the overwhelming number of them happen when people try to do too much too soon (or if a fall or accident twists them into a position their hip isn't meant to do, which can happen with a natural hip).
I'm looking forward to having a new hip on the other side and to gently teaching it how to do things I love.
 
Hi all! I'm preparing for my second hip replacement (right hip this time) and am hoping this one goes smoother than the last one.

I have mostly kept up with my pre-hab exercises except the ones that have become too painful.

In the meantime, my body has decided to add back pain and a herniated disc to my situation. :tantrum2:

I hope that will settle down a bit before my surgery on November 2. Ugh. More boring home exercises. Y'all know how I love those. Not! But I'm muscling through it with the hopes of pain relief.

Sooooo... Here we go!
 
On another note- Would am administrator hop in and change the name of my thread to

"Schaargi Hip #2 Nov. 2"

for now? I appreciate it!!!
 
Hello Schaargi,
I edited your thread title and requested your name be added to the November Nimbles surgery list. I’m sorry you’re dealing with back pain and a herniated disc along with any hip pain you’re struggling with. Sending wishes for your comfort, an uneventful surgery and a smooth recovery. You deserve a break. :friends:
Hugs
@Schaargi
 
Hello @Schaargi , it is great to find another yoga practitioner on here. Like you I am a long-term practitioner, must be almost 50 years (I am somewhat older than you at 72), and have been teaching yoga for about 35 years until July this year. I am interested in your question "Who does yoga without Warrior?" . Let me tell you a little about my yoga journey and where I am now. I started in the 1970s with a wonderful teacher who was a direct pupil of BKS Iyengar. As you probably know Iyengar school works a lot with warrior poses, and I was delighted to find, having been a very clumsy and unathletic child, that I had lots of flexibility and wide-legged stances came easily to me. My relaxing position at home or at friends was sitting on the floor with both knees down on the ground (baddha Konasana), no problem. I could practically do the splits! It's probably fair to say that my ego was quite chuffed at finally being good at something and I went for the burn even though sometimes my body screamed 'No!' (Remember we are talking 1970s here and yoga was not the universal hobby it is now nor practised with safety precautions!). As time moved on and I decided to train as a yoga teacher, I began to learn more about safety and modifications in yoga. I moved area and started practising in the school of Viniyoga as it was then (Desikachar) a much softer and holistic style encompassing more emphasis on breathing and simple but mindful movements. To cut a long story short (already long I know!) by the late 90s I noticed my right hip had become tighter and the knee wouldn't reach the ground as it used to. In 2007 I started having shooting groin pains and was told I had arthritis and I would probably need a replacement within 10 years. I was horrified, I thought my world had ended, but a wise friend said "No it hasn't, you can still teach yoga but in a different way, there must be loads of people like you who want to go on doing yoga but simply can't take the pace of many classes. You simply learn to teach differently". And so it has been. My current classes consist of Gentle Yoga and Chair Assisted yoga. The biggest lesson has been the fight with my ego which keeps saying You USED to be able to do this and it looked beautiful and everyone oohed and aahed. But now you can't and you have to learn to be beautiful and kind to yourself on the inside. It truly does not matter if you can't do a wide-legged Warrior position. I have been learning hard lessons and the need to surrender 'what I was' to the truth of the present moment, how I am now. THAT is yoga! Before my right THR on September 29th (2 weeks in!) I could barely step my legs 12 inches apart, I had let it go on so long through fear of losing my flexibility and not being allowed to do certain poses, but of course I got to the point where I couldn't do them anyway!!!! Now for the first time in about 3 years I can actually step my right leg out to the side more without pain! With my 'Golden Girls' Chair based yogis ( some over 90 and with THRs) I have been teaching a very modified warrior 1 with a very short stance, both hips forward. Warrior 2 is hard for most older people and what purpose does it serve, apart from risking sacroiliac displacement (heresy you may say but why risk it?). Yoga postures should make our bodies happy and healthier and more able to live a full and active life and not be an end in themselves. For me breathing and meditation are seeing me through this time, plus the underlying yoga philosophy is truly being tested. Maybe you will do all your poses as before and maybe you won't, it's all part of the amazing journey of life. But don't lose heart, think of all you have learnt through this very difficult last year. Pat yourself on the back, you are a true Warrior, no need to do the pose! Good luck.
 
Thanks, @YogaLesley!

As I have been wrestling with the thought of "losing" yoga for a few months now, I realize that it was the stern warning from my surgeon that if I did those poses, I would surely risk dislocation. I had explained I was open to modifications but he either didn't know what I meant or didn't trust me to do it safely.

Then, a few well-meaning people tried to get me into their yoga classes, which were largely "fitness gym" yoga classes that left out the breathing, meditation and mindfulness. It was all heartfelt advice, but that wasn't MY yoga. I don't want to be in a class where the instructor names poses and everyone just pops into them, as though they were a series of odd looking stretches. I want the whole package.

Once I talked to a couple of other surgeons and a physical therapist, I gave myself permission to play with the the forbidden poses, try some modifications, and ease into what feels good. That shift into trusting myself to listen to my own body was all I needed!

After playing with it a bit, I am letting go of reclined bound angle pose. It's just too uncomfortable for me. I am playing with the warriors, modifying my hip placement and such.

I don't care so much what I look like, but I want to breathe through the poses and visualize them, which makes my practice feel more satisfying.

Nice to see you here! I hope our conversations help others and their pre- and post-surgery yoga.
 
Sounds like you are definitely on the right track. Trouble is, most medical people know little about yoga snd showing them a picture of a 'perfect' pose probably sets off alarm bells! They don't know we know how to adjust. I took a load of pictures of poses to my surgeon (who is Indian and I think may practise yoga himself) and he whizzed through them saying most of the flexion ones were fine, I just had to be careful of extension, e.g. the back leg stretching back in Warrior. He was cautious but said I should be able to do most things, but not too extreme. At just over 2 weeks post op it is hard to tell but I am thrilled I can stand wider already! Time will tell. In yoga at least, WE are the experts and as long as we listen to our bodies, I reckon we will be OK. Lovely to have a fellow yogi on here. Let us know how you get on. x
 
Hi all,

I had my 2-week pre-op appointment with my surgeon's nurse practitioner. The drill will be slightly different than the last hip. General anesthesia instead of sedation, no Meloxicam--just 81 mg aspirin, Tylenol and Tramadol, with Oxycodone for breakthrough pain. She said that the surgeon doesn't like anti-inflammatories because he believes they hinder bone healing.

Another difference is that I will have forearm crutches instead of a walker. I bought them and am practicing. I like them because you can get your rhythm going with your arms, so it's more natural.

The best news of all is no compression socks!!! Yay!! That was one of my biggest complaints last time. It won't be a magic bullet for a good night's sleep, but it will help. Boy, did I hate those socks.

So... Two weeks out and I'm both nervous and excited. Fingers crossed that it doesn't get postponed due to COVID hospital numbers, which she told me is a distinct possibility.

I feel pretty prepared for the actual surgery, I just want to have some other stuff done before I'm out of commission. Here we goooooooo!
 
:wave:Sounds like you are all set.:ok:
The Tramadol/Tylenol regimen has worked very well for hippys, and was one our Nurse Emeritus, Josephine gave high marks.
My surgeon also discouraged NSAIDs in the early weeks.

And no TEDS socks...now that IS splendid.:yahoo:
They are very annoying.:umm:
Just be diligent with your aspirin and ankle pumps.

Hope #1 is still improving...
We will be rooting for you @Schaargi
 
Hey,hey! You are ready to go! I hope the next couple of weeks pass by easily, with minimal pain. :flwrysmile:
 
Hi all!

Question for the crowd...

I'm looking at the post-surgery meds my new surgeon has given me. Compared with my other surgeon/hip, it seems a little light on the pain meds.

In addition, I have been taking Tylenol and anti-inflammatory on and off for 2 years now. Do people become desensitized to Tylenol and NSAIDs?

I'm so worried about the pain. My other hip went pretty well, but here we go with the pre-surgery worries.

Any thoughts?
 
In addition, I have been taking Tylenol and anti-inflammatory on and off for 2 years now. Do people become desensitized to Tylenol and NSAIDs?

I suggest you discuss this with your surgeon, or PCP, also inquiring about the safety of long term use.

Not long now for you. Only nine days! I wish you comfort as you’re waiting out this last week and a better recovery than your first. We’ll be following your healing journey. :)

 
I'm now one week away from my 2nd THR and, boy, I didn't realize how nervous I would be.

My main worries are the pain and the lack of sleep. I called the doc's office and talked to the NP. I asked her if there was anything they could do to help me sleep ( I wasn't thinking a sleep aid, just maybe help making sure the pain is controlled). She said no, and, unfortunately it lasts for weeks. My husband tells me I'm low maintenance except for sleeping. I'm the Princess and the Pea, so surgery will be really upsetting. Darn. I was hoping that I could somehow head that off ahead of time.

Today I went to my last physical therapy appointment for my back and she was super supportive. She said that the pain meds might knock me out, but they didn't last time so I'll have to brace myself.

At least I don't have those awful socks!!!

Yikes, I'm so nervous.
 
My main worries are the pain and the lack of sleep.

But…what if this time is different? What if sleeping isn’t a real issue?
Hubby might find you needier this time around and you may sleep like a baby.
All recoveries are different as you’ve read, over and over, probably ad nauseum. :wink:
And you’re due for something good! I‘m wishing you comfort, an uneventful surgery and remarkable recovery. Get ready to get back to enjoying life, without pain. :)
 
Oh my gosh, @Layla, that helped so much! I just had to reset my brain and not assume it would be the same.

I am very sensitive about my precious shut-eye. I mean, I LOVE to sleep. :sleep: My poor husband will have to put up me and my Princess and the Pea stories. At least the TED socks won't be contributing. :yes!:

I'm 4 days away and am keeping my fingers crossed that my surgery won't be canceled due to COVID. At this point, I think I'm safe from cancelation. Our hospitalizations continue to climb but I'm feeling pretty confident that I will squeeze though in time.

My freezer and fridge are full, I have my crutches and grabber, I know which bed I will sleep in, I know which clothes I'm going to wear, and my husband is taking 2 weeks off (a bit excessive in my opinion, but oh well).

My sister is coming into town this weekend to help clean and dust so everything feels fresh.

I've made a countdown of what I need to do in the meantime. Without pain meds, I can't decide which hurts more-- my hip or my back, but hopefully the surgery will fix both.

Whew!
 
Atta, girl! This can be and I’m sure will be different than your left hip recovery. You’re well prepared, know the drill, have a great support system in loved ones and I’m sure many friends…and also your BoneSmart peeps!
You know we’ll be following your recovery, ready to lift you on those not so good days and cheer you on when you’re doing / feeling best. Not long now until you’ll be on your way to pain free. Holding you in thought and wishing you comfort as you await Tuesday. :)
@Schaargi
 
@Schaargi I was super nervous before my second THR and it turned out to be a fairly simple recovery compared to the first round. You have a different surgeon (I did too) and this will be a different recovery.

Not long now!
 
Hi @Schaargi
You sound well prepared Princess:) :-) (:
I will say, when I think of how some used to marvel about my bilateral hips, I think what it must be like to go for another surgery AND recovery and I know it Has to be tough on the nerves.
Wishing you an easy few days, then Last One Done... and a smooth recovery.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom