Guest viewing is limited

THR Schaargi Hip #2 Nov. 2

@Schaargi My sister didn't shop around and choose approach or implant. She had a very painful hip, saw an ortho guy about it who told her she needed a replacement, and she said OK. As far as I know she didn't research implants or approaches. That was 3 years ago.
When my turn came I did the same thing - saw the best hip guy in my network/area and trusted that he'd choose the best approach and implant for me, based on my imaging and his experience.
Post op, I mentioned the restrictions and asked her how she got around them and she was surprised that I had any. She told me that her surgeon told her that she could do whatever she felt like doing and she needn't ever worry about dislocation.
It's ironic that she isn't particularly active, and I am. She sitting on the wonder hip and I'm babying mine along. At this point I'm cleared to do a few things that my surgeon considers risky, and I expect I'll be cleared to do more next month at my check up. All's well that ends well, right? But if my other hip needs to be done, I will ask about other types of implants and maybe avoid months of restrictions.
 
I was just catching up on your thread: sounds like things are coming along nicely with the typical bumps along the way. I laughed out loud about your pork sandwich story. I recently had some (non-joint) surgery with GA and my surgeon reports I was enthusiastically waving and saying hi to everyone I passed on my way to the recovery room. I have no recollection of any of it. No wonder there’s a warning on consent forms not to sign any important or legal documents when “under the influence.” I hope it made everyone smile, at least. :wave:

As to post op restrictions: as you can tell, there is a lot a variation depending on the approach and the surgeon. This will most likely continue to evolve with improvements in implants and surgical technique. I was happy to do the conservative restrictions my surgeon placed because of his reputation and my confidence in him. Those are the important parts in joint replacement or for any surgery.
Blessings on continued good healing! ❤️
 
Hi @subie2021

I did the same thing for my first surgery-- my GP recommended someone and (after freaking out that I even needed a hip replacement at all) and just trusted what he did. I didn't know there were different approaches or implants or anything. This surgeon was crazy strict about restrictions but released them after 6 months. Then, after a year of healing, I asked him why my hip was balking at some yoga poses (one was Warrior), he told me if I did that I would dislocate my hip. So I did some research and a couple of yoga people said, "Why didn't you ask for a dual mobility joint?" I had never heard of such a thing!

For my second hip, I interviewed 6 surgeons/ physician's assistants and only one said he would be comfortable with a dual mobility joint. I couldn't stand him, so I went with another surgeon who talked me out of wanting it. I trusted him so much I went with him. Same approach (anterior), same initial restrictions, but only for 6 weeks and without the crazy pressure. Honestly, I was more afraid of my first surgeon than I was of dislocating, so I followed his instructions to a T because I didn't want to make him mad!

On another note, do you drive a Subaru?
 
Day 16

I looked at my newest x-ray and I was surprised to see how different my two implants are. One has a much bigger ball than the other, and the other has a longer stem (with teeth!). The one with a smaller ball apparently has a liner. I'm fascinated.
[Bonesmart.org] Schaargi Hip #2 Nov. 2
 
Last edited:
Just past two weeks, and look at that new shinny hip. That is a interesting pic. Do you know the manufacturer of each one? It is surprising how many different manufacturers and models there are today . Especially the last 10 years.
Mine are both by different manufacturers and one is manufactured by Stryker even has extra support with a ring and cable wire after a revision and they replaced the metal ball with a ceramic ball. The implant components are larger in size than the opposite side.
The first hip replacement manufactured by DuPuy is almost 23 years ago and still doin well.
It’s given me many good years of mobility.
I have looked up the huge variety of models online as well as the surgeons office had all the models and components they use out on display. How parts mix and match like a puzzle. They are very light and weight is balanced. Very interesting how the whole joint is replaced to give us a better quality of life. It always amazes me… I feel fortunate every day to have the freedom of mobility and free from osteo pain.
 
Last edited:
@Hippielife

I think it's interesting, too. The one with the smaller ball is a DuPuy Corail and the one with the bigger ball is a Stryker Accolade II.
 
I'm fascinated.

I don’t know why…but I didn’t like it (prosthetic) upon seeing my first x-ray. I felt like…Get that thing out of me! Crazy, huh? It didn’t take long to appreciate the miracle in it giving me my life back, without the pain. I can’t say I’m any more comfortable with looking at my own x-ray, but looking at others doesn’t bother me.

You're doing great, Schaargi! I hope you have a lovely weekend. :)
 
Oh yeah…Just looking at the x-ray after surgery for the first time …is a bit shocking.. yet explains a lot of rehab and surgery pain . I am amazed how well healing is after a few months. The surgery is so complicated yet so simple done by the right surgeon.
 
@Schaargi
It is fascinating to see the slightly different implants! Glad you are doing well.
My right hip is the Stryker Accolade II with a ceramic head. I’ve never asked the surgeon about the models, and just learned recently from reading the record. I would not have understood anything at the time about the parts, but i may be learning a little on Bonesmart!

On my X-ray, the artificial hip looks like a close match to my regular left hip in terms of placement and size (to my totally untrained eye at least).

Was the Stryker your first or second hip?

Thanks for sharing the information. Best wishes for improvement every day!
 
Hi @HelenaM

The Stryker was my first one. Do you have a screw holding yours in?

Looking at the x-ray of the Stryker and the biological hip, it looks to me like the Stryker is larger than the other hip and the angle from the ball to the trocanter is different. No I want to dig up my x-ray from the original hip to compare it to the Stryker.

Gotta keep my boredom at bay somehow.... It's really starting to set in and I'm not even three weeks out! :wink:
 
Last edited:
@Layla

Yeah, the concept of anyone being attached to their original hip and not liking the implant would never have occurred to me before I started reading on this forum. But now I get it and appreciate it.

It's funny, I sometimes said that my hip was being mean to me and I wanted to evict it and get a new tenant. Ha! I'm a cold hearted snake at heart.

You have a good weekend, too!
 
@Schaargi
I can’t open the x-ray on my computer but I have seen the x-ray many times (my husband’s knee surgeon looked at it with me), and I did not see a screw. Perhaps, it is more hidden or maybe I am wrong. But I don’t think it is visible. I think the cup has a liner according to the bill which listed a charge for that.

I will try to see if I can get the X-ray open to view it again.
 
Last edited:
The hip X-rays make me think of my shoes. I wish that we could try the hip for 30 days or a few months and return if easily it feels a little off! I just bought some walking shoes that I really wanted, that should have been perfect....but back to the post office.
 
Day 19

Doh! The problem with a stellar start to recovery is the inevitable bump in the road. The past week I have been gradually weaning off the Tramadol and Oxycodone and gradually increasing my "big walk." (I do several 5-10 min. little walks per day and I'm up to 30 minutes for the big one.)

I'm still on the cane when I'm out of my house. No complaints there-- I was reliant on the walker for several months last time, and have been using this cane for a year now, so I'm ok with it.

But I seem to have hit a bit of a wall. Inability to sleep has come back the past two nights, and last night the pain is sneaking back. Reducing the painkillers in the past week has reminded me of the back pain that had popped up before my surgery, but last night and today, my hip has joined the parade. So I increased the Tramadol this morning and am icing.

My emotions are getting to me also. Worried about all sorts of things and overwhelmed. I know it's the ups and down of recovery. I'm grumpy today. :sorry:
 
Drink plenty of water…helps a lot…In my experience I think 30 min walking is to long at one time this early, a bit early in healing. Give your body time to heal before starting any walk longer than 10-15 minutes . Most try to do more and end up relapsed. Slow down ..
After three hip surgeries it‘s my experience I can share, I’ve seen so many try to do to much and there is no way to hurry healing. When your more like 8-10 weeks try walking longer periods . Right now is when the body is healing and the bone is still growing to secure the implant components, no rush …when it all comes together with no set backs then you’ll be ready to walk more. It’s not supposed to hurt at all before or after walking.
It was about 4 months after my first hip surgery and a lot younger then too, when we went to DisneyWorld. And every now and then when my hip complained or was tired it was time to rest and sit down and didn’t over do the walking. I learned to be “Mindful” of my new hip and movements. And it’s still ticken 23 years later…I flew to Florida for my grandson’s birthday. Always walking in new shoes with great arches..ankle support.. heel to toe gait. It was good practice. I hitched a ride back to the parking lot by the end of the day. Oh and the lovely protein shakes with lots of vitamins helped too.
It all went well and had a great time and no surgery pain. No jurky or fast moving rides. Eventually we hippies return back to life .
 
Thanks @Hippielife

I feel like I'm really taking it slowly, but I guess not slow enough. I had really hoped that I wouldn't have to call the doctor again for drug refills. They only give you enough for a few days on the Tramadol and Oxycodone. I hate calling for more!

I really took it easy today. Went to physical therapy and talked to her about it. We did some exercises, had a little massage, and she told me not to do anything else the rest of the day. So that's what I'm doing.

I am going to have to tell my 89 year old mom that I'm not quite ready to walk as much. She likes walking her dog and walking her daughter. :heehee:

Frustrating because I really thought I was going slow enough. Thanks for the encouragement!
 
I am going to have to tell my 89 year old mom that I'm not quite ready to walk as much. She likes walking her dog and walking her daughter. :heehee:

:heehee: Mine is only 84, soon to be 85, but sounds very much like yours.
My mom had both hips replaced, years apart and was thoroughly annoyed by my laziness in using a lift recliner during my recovery. She said she never needed a chair that “catapulted” her.
Catapulted?!!! Really mom? She made it sound like the chair was launching me across the room as a projectile. Duck everyone! :heehee:

I hope you have a nice Thanksgiving, Schaargi!
 
Day 21, 3 weeks!

Bumped the meds back up to what they were early last week. Walked with my mom and shortened it back to what I did last week. Alas, my hip didn't like that. I'm icing and elevating now.

I'll lay off the outside walks completely the next few days, maybe through the weekend.

Luckily, my mom will be busy with Thanksgiving preparations and won't be itching to walk! It's a good weekend for a break. We are tasked with bringing the green bean casserole, but my husband has made it for the last 2 years due to my hip pain, so he can make it again. Hmmmmm... maybe it will be his permanent Thanksgiving task.

It's all part of the healing roller coaster, I know that!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Back
Top Bottom