Guest viewing is limited

THR Schaargi Hip #2 Nov. 2

Will be thinking of you tomorrow. I hope you’re able to get some sleep tonight, feel a peaceful calm when you awake, have an uneventful surgery and begin a smooth recovery. Will be watching for an update once you’re resting comfortably and feeling up to it.
Wishing you all the best!
@Schaargi
 
Wonderful news!
Soon you’ll be waking in recovery. Let the healing begin! :) We’ll be thinking of you.
@Schaargi
 
Thinking of you @Schaargi. I know my next one won't be long either and hoping it will be different and easier as I hope yours will be too. By the way I was put on amitryptaline which takes a while to help but does now seem to have settled nerve pain and really helps me sleep! Hope all has gone well.
 
Great news! :happydance: Go relax and I hope you’re able to do so comfortably,
Here‘s a refresher of some info and tips.

As you begin healing, please keep in mind that each recovery is unique. While the BoneSmart philosophy successfully works for many, there will be exceptions. Between the recommendations found here, your surgeon's recovery protocol and any physical therapy you may engage in, the key is to find what works best for you.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest​
ice​
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. Here is a week-by-week guide

6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.
 
Thanks @Layla!

The articles are helpful the second time around, too.

Day 1- surgery and early release. (Didn't stay overnight.) I'm wondering if they fast-tracked me out due to COVID. We are on the way to another shutdown and perhaps my surgeon got pressure from the hospital. Boy was I woozy!

I had general anesthesia with an anterior approach. I have a wound drain contraption and will take it out tomorrow. When I got home, I was quite out of it. The words wouldn't come out of my mouth and twice I dozed off sitting straight up! Due to all that sleeping, I have now been awake in bed for several hours. Just rolling with the punches here. I even checked to see if there was a tiny pea under my mattresses keeping me awake.:giggle:

My pain was managed pretty well until the middle of the night. I was awaked by serious (9) pain at the incision site. If I tense my leg or bend it at the hip, a giant stabbing pain grumps at me for 5-10 seconds, and then it calms down. The tensing is due to restless leg syndrome, so it's really hard to avoid.

My surgeon has a slightly different approach to rehab than my other surgeon did. He wants to curtail the use of NSAIDs (anti inflammatories) and he has my med schedule only during my waking hours. I might play with that a bit so I don't end up with sharp pains in the middle of the night.

Here's the big difference-- he only wants me to ice 2x a day!! He says icing is good for numbing and taking the pain away without meds. As he explained the stinginess with NSAIDs, he wants the inflammation response to be able to kick in. He says ice and NSAIDs both get in the way of healing with that response. He's ok with elevation, though.

So... Here's a weird side effect. I can't burp! I feel the gasses drift up as normal, but can't bring them to take the last step. Bizarre, right? He's calling me in the morning so I'll ask.

I'm thrilled that I didn't have nerve damage! While this time, my hip hurts, it doesn't compare with the terror I felt at not being able to use my left leg. Yay!

That's all for now. I will ask a bunch of questions what he calls later this morning. Take care, everybody!
 
So... Here's a weird side effect. I can't burp! I feel the gasses drift up as normal, but can't bring them to take the last step. Bizarre, right? He's calling me in the morning so I'll ask.

I can't fault the treatment at the hospital where I had my THR done, except for one thing...
the medication!

Both the antibiotics and the painkillers had a cumulative side effect with me... digestion problems.
Some gut bacteria react to the antibiotics, and many painkillers have a side effect of causing constipation, which is what caused me the most post operative pain - a congested colon for 4 days. And, the first day after the op I projectile vomited, the bed and the floor both sides (so be happy your problem isn't that!)
I was also concerned that I wasn't ravenously hungry. Every previous time I've been injured or operated on my normal reaction is to want to eat like a herd of goats.

After being home for a couple of days and little improvement in my digestion I decided to take a double dose of stool softeners and stopped all pain killers for two days... and wow, no more pain and my digestion was completely back to normal.
 
Last edited:
So glad you don’t have nerve pain! One of the reasons, mine was a day surgery, was so I didn’t take up a bed, even though our covid numbers are still good. I had a spinal, but remember, how much fun, recovery after a general was. My surgeon is similar to yours. Im an Advil addict normally. Nothing else ever works for me, so not happy with regular strength Tylenol and ice, not high on her list either.

I hope you get your burping back, because gas pain has been my biggest problem. Like Wessexmario, I was given antibiotics iv in hospital and all the various pain meds. I might try going off of everything too, just to see if I can get back on track. 9 days out, I’m still having stomach pain and diarrhea. Gas-x has saved my life, just need to get my gut flora back.

So happy you are on the other side and hope your pain is managed, today!
 
Here's the big difference-- he only wants me to ice 2x a day!! He says icing is good for numbing and taking the pain away without meds. As he explained the stinginess with NSAIDs, he wants the inflammation response to be able to kick in.

I certainly agree that you should follow, or at the very least consider your surgeons advice on icing. However, I will add below the protocol we know has worked for a multitude over the years. The choice is up to each individual -

Why Does BoneSmart Recommend Icing for Longer Periods of Time Than Advised by My Surgeon or Physical Therapist?

Icing for up to twenty minutes only is what most of us have heard or been advised to do following an injury. Following joint replacement, ice is a critical part of pain management and should be used not only on the joint, but any surrounding areas of discomfort for as often and as long as you're comfortable doing so, always placing fabric between skin and the ice source. Icing helps bring relief from the soft tissue trauma and internal swelling. Icing is a great natural pain reliever and best of all, it's free. While some care providers do put a maximum time on icing, others suggest you ice as often as you see fit.

Icing after therapy, exercises, or prolonged activity that challenge ROM and endurance should help ease any discomfort, or preventively keep pain at bay. You may find relief through icing for weeks to months post op.


Glad to hear you’re doing so well! Especially no nerve damage. I have a feeling this recovery will feel like a breeze compared to your last. Wishing you only the best!
 
Very glad to hear you're safely on the other side and that things are going well so far.

Hoping your recovery is smooth sailing from here on :)
 
Thanks, @Layla!

I am a big fan of ice, so I am not giving it up on it. It just surprised me!

Day 2:
I am already seeing improvement in my gait and my confidence is rising!

Pain is pretty well managed (yep- I used ice today), although there is a sharp, burning pain at the incision when I bend my knee, and also when I put weight on it. It feels like a very bad sunburn, and definitely more on the surface than deep in my hip.

I am leaps and bounds better than last year's replacement. So relieved!!!!
 
So glad this recovery is off to a good start. Just keep doing what you are doing! You know what works for you.
 
I’m happy to hear how well you’re doing. Wondering if you had any type of adhesive over your incision that is causing the burning irritation?
Whatever they placed over my wound for the first twenty four hours, once removed the area was bright red, very irritated, looked like sunburned skin. A perfect square of exactly where the bandage was.

Hope it eases for you and you have a great day. :)
@Schaargi
 
Day 3:

Yikes, the burning has become unbearable. My incision isn't red or warm or anything, but I've hit a rough patch for sure. In addition, my hip flexor is very painful.

I haven't had nearly as much trouble sleeping ony back, so I am getting some rest.

On the good side, I'm starting to burp. That was just bizarre.

While the burning pain is troublesome, I absolutely thrilled withy recovery!
 
Day 4:

The searing, burning pain was back this morning, so they had me come into the office to get checked.

The nurse practitioner wasn't alarmed, and neither was the surgeon. They said it was damaged nerves waking up after trauma, it is normal, and I should just push through it.

I took 2 5-minute walks around the house yesterday so I feel good about that.
 
I’m sorry you’re currently dealing with the pain you described.

Small sensory nerve fibers are cut with the incision. These nerve fibers run from the inside to the outside of the hip and cutting them causes the hip to feel numb after surgery. It is a temporary sensation that normally resolves over a period of six months to one year post op.

While healing you may experience sensations of tingling, pins and needles, itching, burning and even the feeling of a minor electrical shock. These are usually good signs that the nerves are spontaneously firing through the regeneration process.

I hope the reassurance you received from your surgeon helps ease any worries you had.
With any luck the pain eases soon. A peaceful evening to you.
@Schaargi
 
Thanks @Layla and @Kriztina !

While the bouts of nerve pain are truly excruciating, I'm feeling better knowing what's causing it. I just couldn't imagine what would cause my skin to feel like someone has taken a hot iron to it. I suppose that it's better than losing the use of my leg for 6 months like last time.

I finished another two 5- minute walks and they were much easier than yesterday's!!!

Thanks again. This forum is the best.
 
It's very reassuring to understand the cause of pain. It's good that you could go and get it checked out.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom