TKR Scared but I made it!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent! That's how it should have been right from the start.
 
Well, so far so good,, this morning I woke up with a bit of pain where the VICE grip pain on under my knee, and the numb feeling shooting down the leg, but the other pains seem not be there... I also switched back to ONE advil and ONE tylenol every 3 hours in lieu of celebrex, will see how that does again...thanks for the input, if anyone else has input, please let me know
 
Fingers crossed for you that this new PT and the new plan will be successful. It sounds like a good one to me :)
 
Well, had 2nd PT session this morning, she had me doing alot of stretching exercises, then she massaged the thigh and knee area, and finally iced it for 10 minutes... I did not hurt most of the day, and the pains in the thigh are lessening, will know more tomorrow when I wake up and start my day... very NUMB under the knee on the outer side, down the shin... PT said nerves cause that??? Hopefully she said they will reattach and the numbness will go away????
 
Well, had 2nd PT session this morning, she had me doing alot of stretching exercises, then she massaged the thigh and knee area, and finally iced it for 10 minutes... I did not hurt most of the day....

This sounds like an excellent PT plan and hopefully the massage will greatly reduce your pain.
 
Yes, going to the new PT again yesterday, lots of stretches, and then she massaged, and iced at the end. I kinda hurt last night, trouble sleeping, but not like the hurt I had from the other PT whose model it was "NO PAIN NO GAIN", NO I don't think so, NO PAIN< MY GAIN!! I should not have been in PAIN for 3 days following PT,, then it was time to go to him again... I quit....told him I had enough PT!!! Found a nice lady who I am hoping with a different philosophy will help me get rid of the pains in my thigh.
I am hoping that the reason I did not sleep was because she did have me ride the recumbant for 10 mintues as a warm up, and then had me do quad and ham string stretches for abotu 15 mintues,
Is there anyway to aleviate or help the NUMBNESS that I am feeling below the knee, right side (right knee), down the side along the side of the shin? Should I put HEAT on that area? Last night I put a rice bag (heat it in microwave, not to hot) on the knee itself, some pain there.... is that wrong??
Thanks again for ALL the help from all the bone smarties... you folks are great... support is fabulous as is the info.
 
Natalie, that numbness is just part of the recovery process. It should improve, but may take months or even a year or more to resolve. In some cases some of the numbness stays. It is nerves. They must reattach and nerves grow very, very slowly. There is nothing you can do to speed it up. I would not suggest that you heat or ice the area that is numb.
 
I also still have numbness on the outside of my right knee, extending down the shin a bit. The left knee is pretty well back to having all feeling, but the right one sounds a bit like yours. I've heard and read, like Jamie said, that it can take a long time for all of the feeling to come back. I've also read that it may never return completely - but I've decided I can live with it in exchange for being able to walk so much better! (And I'm not giving up hope that it may still get better!)


I'm really glad that you found someone to help you without causing so much pain. I've had some therapeutic massage post-op, and have found it to be extremely beneficial. I wish I could go more often! My PT did a lot of massaging, which I think helped the scar release from the scar tissue underneath. It also just felt good!


I would also agree with Jamie that you NOT ice or heat the area that is numb - since it is numb, you may not be able to feel if you get it too hot and burn it, or too cold and get frostbite! I don't know whether it would do any good either.


My suggestion would be just to be patient about the numbness. That's what I'mtrying to do!
 
I'm still numb. Its getting better but if I have it, well I have it. You will get used to it. Now the numbness in my shoulder, thats another story for another day.
 
Kneedknees and Zjrog, thanks for the input, as well as Jamie... the numbness is one thing, but the PAIN in the right side of the patella now is another thing, the whole knee is kinda numb now, something new.. last couple of days... what next????? I have gotten rid of some of the pains in my thighs, now this new pain, ahhh to be pain free, but I guess the numbness I will have to be patient, from what you are saying... OK, will wait patiently... hmmmmm
 
Hi Natalie. I too suffered from pain in the side of the patella, but once I started swimming again this disappeared quite quickly, but at 15 months on now I still have some numbness on the outside of the knee and also some tenderness/stiffness around the knee itself. Its not painful, and does not restrict my movement, but Ihave long since learned that the biggest factor in our recovery is Patience!! Everything comes right in the end hopefully, and the life I have now is sure better than I had before surgery, so carry on with all the exercises, but give you knee plenty of time to heal itself, which I am sure it will in its own good time.:thumb:

Take care.....
 
Natalie,
I am quite numb too--outside of knee and down into outside of lower leg. The only time it really bothers me is when I shave my legs. CREEPY not being able to feel what I'm doing! So afraid I'm going to cut myself cause I can't tell how hard I'm pressing. Consequently, I may be a little hairier than normal! :snork:
Niki
 
The only time it really bothers me is when I shave my legs. CREEPY not being able to feel what I'm doing! So afraid I'm going to cut myself cause I can't tell how hard I'm pressing. Consequently, I may be a little hairier than normal! :snork:
Niki

Isn't that the weirdest thing! :wacko:
 
Today was a horrid day, I had terrible gas pains, terrible leg pains, knee to thigh, along the quad area up to the torso, have no idea why. It puzzles me why I am having all these pains, and terrible pains in my patella about 9:00 if you are looking at my knee... outer area, down the right outer side of the leg.. my other knee was also very stiff and achy, it was cold here and rainy (arizona) today, but the unexplained terrible pains, and gas, awful day, hopefully tomorrow is better, suppose to be sunny and 61. I am becoming very dispondent about this whole thing, always in constant pain, this can't be normal... sorry again for the complaining, but I want to be pain free...
 
I'm so sorry that you're in so much pain. I don't know what to tell you. Since our surgery dates are only one day away, we should be very close in our recovery. My pain is still not completely gone, but it doesn't sound as severe as yours. I occasionally have pain on the outside of one of my knees - at 9:00 as you've said, but it is pretty much centered at the knee - not shooting up and down my leg. I did have some of that earlier on, but it nowhere near as bad now.

Are you still taking pain meds? If not, maybe you should be. And if you are, maybe you need to talk to your doctor about something stronger. Of course, like you, I'd want to find out why you're still in so much pain. It doesn't sound normal, but then there's such a wide variety of recovery rates, that this could be normal for you!

I guess I don't have much to offer in the line of help, but I can offer prayers for pain relief, as well as just some encouragement that things will get better soon (hopefully)! I'll be praying for you!!!
 
Natalie, I feel so bad for you and can totally relate..Have you tried mineral ice? I rub that on the side of my knee when it hurts and I get relief. As far as the gas pains try laying on your left side and this too will pass '}
 
Natalie,
I am sorry you are in so much pain. I agree that you should still be taking pain medication. I have read and heard that this can be a long recovery. Your surgery was 4 months ago I think you could still be healing. I am going to guess there have been others who has still had pain at 4 months. Having said that it wouldn't hurt to call your OS just to be sure everything is ok. I hope your pain subsides soon and you can begin to feel better.
 
Natalie,
I'm so sorry to hear that things have been rough. I really do think the weather plays a role. I didn't think that until today, but it is cold, raw, and rainy here too and my knee is so stiff. I can barely even bend it enough to walk. I'm hoping it's just the weather, anyway! Hope tomorrow will be a sunny day for you in more ways than just weather!
Niki
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom