Guest viewing is limited

Scared but excited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I made the call. I'm scheduled to see the OS on Thursday to discuss date and whether to do both hips at once. They said I could be in surgery in a couple of weeks.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
 
I am waiting on surgery no. 2, debating why I did it this way, but it is what it is for me. Yes, I wish I had done both at the same time, now that I found the second surgeon. I am glad I did not have both done at same time posterior with previous surgeon. And here begins discussion about posterior and anterior and all that. With both hips having implants, you are doubling the risk of dislocation. There is lower risk with some anterior surgeries of dislocation, and that is what I want because I am active. Spend some of your time with those your age or near your age on here who have had both hips done, and talk to your surgeon about the risk of dislocation. Proud of you my man, you are on your journey now to a better life...
 
For information this is a recent publication on the question of approach to hip surgery that has the advantages of a large group:

The effects of surgical approach in total hip replacement on health-related quality of life and long-term pain and satisfaction are unknown. From the Swedish Hip Arthroplasty Register, we extracted data on all patients that had received a total hip replacement for osteoarthritis through either the posterior or the direct lateral approach, with complete pre- and one-year post-operative Patient Reported Outcome Measures (PROMs). A total of 42 233 patients met the inclusion criteria and of these 4962 also had complete six-year PROM data. The posterior approach resulted in an increased mean satisfaction score of 15 (sd 19) vs 18 (sd 22) (p < 0.001) compared with the direct lateral approach. The mean pain score was 13 (sd 17) vs 15 (sd 19) (p < 0.001) and the proportion of patients with no or minimal pain was 78% vs 74% (p < 0.001) favouring the posterior approach. The patients in the posterior approach group reported a superior mean EQ-5D index of 0.79 (sd 0.23) vs 0.77 (sd 0.24) (p < 0.001) and mean EQ score of 76 (sd 20) vs 75 (sd 20) (p < 0.001). All observed differences between the groups persisted after six years follow-up. Although PROMs after THR in general are very good regardless of surgical approach, the results indicate that some patients operated by the direct lateral approach report an inferior outcome compared with the posterior approach. The large number of procedures and the seemingly sustained differences make it likely these findings are clinically relevant.

Cite this article: Bone Joint J 2014;96-B:590–6.
 
Thanks for the data Bumpa. Is there data comparing the two, posterior vs anterior, and the dislocation risks associated with each, please.
 
This is a great site for info. I just hit 7 weeks from my left THR. Working out again, still doing re hab 2 days a week but all is good. You will kick butt! Re hab is tough, ya gotta earn it, but its all in the rear view mirror for me already. The only thing I still can't do is put my left sock on.
Best of luck and here's to you finishing your workshop!
 
PS on the when can you have sex question. I lasted 3 weeks and it was fine. Good to go!
 
Thanks I am so ready to get this fixed. When watching tv or other people doing things I get pretty down since I can't do it.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
 
You know the one thing that I keep having to deal with is that since I'm only 38 I keep hearing your to young, I wouldn't do that. I simple say to them that it needs done. I think that after all said and done the only people that I tell are the TSA and employers if and only if they need to know. Has anyone else my age run into the same thing?

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
 
Fantastic news @rbtaylor14 - you will be posting in the recovery section very soon me thinks :)

Not sure if I have given you these articles.. Slow and steady was my mantra given to me by a very good BoneSmart friend early in my recovery :)

The following is a link to an article which provides some approximate timeframes around the healing phases and processes and the relevant nutritional information for each phase.

Healing Phases & Nutrition

This second link is to other nutritional articles which you may find interesting, including one relating to bone health.

Nutritional advice for pre op and recovery
 
You are very welcome - hugs from OZ
 
June 9th is my surgery. Going to do the right THR first and then possibly the left in a few weeks. Now running around like a chicken with its head cut off getting everything lined up.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
 
@rbtaylor14 , well done on getting your date - and so soon! Visit the Library for tips on what you need for pre and post op.
 
Thanks and yes I was amazed at how fast I got in.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
 
This is good news @rbtaylor14 - make your list of tasks to do and then try to relax (if you can :) ).
 
@rbtaylor14 Hi there! I just ran across your post and your story sound very similar to mine with the exception of building my dream shop and being a mechanic. I am glad you went ahead and scheduled your surgery as the pain only gets worse not better. I was diagnosed in February of this year with Avascular Necrosis (idiopathic) in both hips. I saw my OS on May 16th and was scheduled for BTHR on June 3rd. Blessings and best of luck to you.
 
Take a couple pair of underwear, that was it for me. The family will survey the situation in your room, bring you whatever you need after that. I went in with shorts and t shirt and sandals, came out the same way by wheelchair. Kissed the wheelchair goodbye at the hospital sidewalk, got in our car and have been on my own two feet ever since. We did come home with a commode seat and walker both in a box from the hospital. Place a TV, DVD, and movies by the bed, and stay in bed alot to elevate the leg with pillows, relax and sleep, and two weeks later you will be feeling better than you ever thought possible... :)
 
You will be so glad once you have your surgery! Looking back, the surgery and recovery passed so quickly. You will be back to normal activities before you know it. Don't hesitate, the sooner the surgery, the sooner you will be pain free and enjoying your new Man Cave!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom