Guest viewing is limited

Scared but excited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was told that I could have the surgery in as little as 2 weeks if I wanted. While that would be great, it's just too quick as I have a ton of work to get done before I am down for a while. I am ready to be pain free though.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
 
Good idea I reckon. If you went in without being properly prepared you would not be able to rest as you need to for your recovery. How long do you reckon before you will have it?
 
I'm thinking about a month or so. I also want to be mostly heald up before winter.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
 
Hi there @rbtaylor14 you might like to check out these articles :)

The following is a link to an article which provides some approximate timeframes around the healing phases and processes and the relevant nutritional information for each phase.

Healing Phases & Nutrition

This second link is to other nutritional articles which you may find interesting, including one relating to bone health.

Nutritional advice for pre op and recovery
 
Thank you Poppet I spoke with the doctors office yesterday some more. They said after looking closer at my scans that left will be replaced as well. Now they are wanting to do them 2 months apart. I would rather have it done at the same time. One surgery one recovery right?

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
 
Are you able to discuss the option of having a bilateral (both done at the same time) @rbtaylor14 ?
 
When I asked about bilateral he said he wanted to look at doing them 2 months apart.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
 
He has your best interests and health at heart :)
 
Alrighty RB, it may be time to join the 'two hip club'. I can relate to everything you have said, and I don't think age matters that much. My two cents on sex, I just saw that thread: We men are the performers, and never ever want to admit that our hips hurt due to sex, right? Well, I'm telling you my new hip works just fine, my new metal ball and socket can rock, yay! But yes, my right hip hurts like hell after sex, let's get that out in the open... I'm experimenting with 'left hip only' sex right now, LOL...
You look like you are in shape, and so am I and that's part of our dilemma this aint supposed to be cuz we stay in shape, right? I'm a true waterman: I surf, I freedive/spearfish,I'm a CG Captain! The next part of your journey is to schedule surgery. I put this off for five years believing nsaids and aspirin and motrin and manhood and swimming would solve it. Nope. My first surgery went great, left hip is painfree. Because I must have two implants, I am looking closely at my second surgery and I am learning some things like solid stem implants may be better than modular, anterior surgery may be better than posterior, resurfacing may be better than THR, so do you your surgeon homework, but believe you will be building a better 'man cave' after surgery than before!
 
So true waterman1. I know that I need both done, but on the same hand I want to wait but don't want to wait. I mean hell both hip are garbage and so I might as well just do everything that I can with them now. There is good days and then bad days. On good days I walk with a small limp and some pain. Bad days I can barely walk and those are the days yhat I wish my surgery was tomorrow. I think that what scares me the most is the recovery time and the financial part of it. I'm somewhat of a workaholic and can't sit still for very long. This on the other hand may push me to recover faster just not sure.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
 
Remember that all of us here are either in pain needing and waiting on surgery, or are in recovery from having the surgery. If you are like most of us here, that pain can get a whole lot worse. When the femur balls start to flatten and you have different heights on each leg, then your back is never level or your pelvis, then a cane, then two canes, then wheelchairs and scooters. When I got in a scooter at Home Depot that's when I scheduled surgery, and then made excuses for a couple more years about insurance!! Go buy you some quality insurance, making sure there are no waiting periods or exclusions.
My daughter is posting various avatars on here now mostly to remind me of some favorite things we love to do that we no longer do because of this disease, and because of how I put the remedy off for so long. You sound very active. There are gobs of excuses not to have surgery, aren't there? It's funny looking back, but not so where you are right now, I know. One lawsuit ad on TV and I shut this website down for a year or two, then all the bull about the best implant is another hurdle. Gather facts, go see surgeons, buy quality med insurance, and assure your family and friends you don't want to be left behind and you are getting this surgery done...
Recovery time is really not as bad as I thought - I wish I had done both hips at once, anterior, resurfaced, is my two cents... There are those with problems and the vast majority are doing fine. Seven weeks later, I could be walking for miles, instead I am waiting on the next surgery...
 
Thanks I have really good insurance thankfully. I think I am going to call the OS tomorrow and give them the go ahead for my surgery. Today was horrible. I could hardly walk and that also brings my mood down as well.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
 
Josephine,
It would be cool to start a thread that ended in a booklet made of everyone's excuses not to have surgery. Then add that booklet to your list of 'must reads'...
 
Thanks I have really good insurance thankfully. I think I am going to call the OS tomorrow and give them the go ahead for my surgery. Today was horrible. I could hardly walk and that also brings my mood down as well.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
Yep, and if you schedule surgery while you have good insurance, in just a few short weeks this pain will be gone. I am sitting here pain free in one leg now, and crippled with half a femur ball in the other hip because of a bunch of dumb excuses over the years. I am blessed to still have a job, and friends, and family who have not 'walked on' and left my crippled, complaining butt behind. By June 23, both of my hips will be replaced, resurfaced, or whatever the surgeon thinks I should have. I'm going with anterior surgery, resurfacing if the femur ball is not too far gone. If the femur ball is too far gone when they open me up, then I will have a solid stem, ceramic THR... what are you gonna have my friend? Time for making choices, right?
 
Both my femur ball are beyond repair they say. Mostly all dead. So I will be having both THR just unsure if they will do both at the same time or two months apart.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
 
I am changing surgeons so that I can have anterior surgery, and as the surgeon states, 'I will cut no muscles or tendons, therefore your recovery time and surgery pain is considerably less than the posterior surgery you just had. Also, you can tolerate two hips replaced or resurfaced at the same time due to the anterior approach causing less trauma. Wish you had come to me before your first surgery, and we could have done them both at once.' Yep, that's what he said and that's why I am changing surgeons...
 
I think I am going to call the OS tomorrow and give them the go ahead for my surgery.
We are asked repeatedly when do I know it's time for my op. Your post answers the question quite clearly. When you realise that pain impacts your quality of life - it's time! Don't wait too long @rbtaylor14 . You certainly don't want the pain of a collapsed hip!
 
Absolutely agree with Jaycey - make the phone call and let us know :)
 
Thanks everyone. This has been by far the best site with the best bunch of people. I was so lost beforehand.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom