BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[THR] Scarab's Recovery Thread

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by Scarab, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    As I alway remind our members, you are discharged from hospital TO recover, not recovered.

2. Scarab

Scarab junior member

United States United States
    @Eman85 No they didn't give me that impression at all. They said to prepare to be out of work in the area of 12 weeks, but that number differs for many.

3. Eman85

Eman85 post-grad

If you read posts on this forum you'll see the time really doesn't differ. Many do go back to work sooner, but it's usually not for the best. You'll read plenty of posts where we're all surprised because we were, young or in great shape and they thought they would recover faster. Or they worked hard at PT to build strength which usually results in a longer period of pain.

4. Ruamac

Ruamac junior member

Ireland Ireland
    Scarab, I hope the R&E got you caught up with your pain. If so, now you can keep up the good work and try and stay ahead of it.

Good luck!

5. Scarab

Scarab junior member

@Eman85 The OS gave a ballpark figure of 12 weeks.

6. Scarab

Scarab junior member

Thanks @Ruamac. I am much better today. I need to get my head cleared to get some unavoidable work done (on the computer) before I can really mentally rest. Today may be the day I accomplish that, and then my mind and body will be at ease to recuperate for however long it takes. :) :-) (:

7. Ruamac

Ruamac junior member

Ireland Ireland
    @Scarab - I completely know what you mean. It's horrible when things like that are hanging over you when really you should be concentrating on you. I hope you can get that cleared up over the next day or two and let your mind and body rest and recuperate.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Scarab

Scarab junior member

This is day 9 post-op for me. I am sleeping and eating well and taking small walking trips around the house with the walker. I am rotating positions during the night, from one side, to my back, to the other, with a cushion between my legs (I had anterior approach), and sleeping pretty well. Unfortunately, since shortly before the surgery I am experiencing low back and left hip and leg pain. (My right hip was replaced). This pain disappeared after the surgery until four days post-op. It began again either because I overdid it on day 4, or because all the hospital anesthesia and meds finally wore off.
    I was hoping to stop the pain meds this week, but last night and the night before I took them because of my back and left hip. I really don't want to use them too much, but figure at this point I need to indulge myself and do whatever it takes to rest.
    How long have you folks needed to use the pain meds?

9. Jaycey

Everyone is different. Some are on meds for weeks. Others for months.

Frankly it's way to early to start reducing your medication. You need your meds to increase your mobility and you are only days out of surgery. Take them as prescribed, around the clock until you start forgetting a dose. It's usually the midday dose that is forgotten. That's the sign you can start tapering off.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Scarab

Scarab junior member

@Jaycey - thank you, I am so glad I asked! My physician's discharge instructions said that after day 4 I could begin to discontinue the pain meds as tolerated, and that made me think that I was perhaps using my meds for too long. I am so thankful for this forum. Otherwise, being in pain on a recliner is such a lonely experience. So many questions, so few answers ...

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jaycey

Sorry but this is just cruel! You can't stop taking pain meds after only 4 days out, let alone 9! I hope you have enough meds to continue taking them for awhile. Ice and elevate as well - it's great pain relief.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Ruamac

Ruamac junior member

Ireland Ireland
    Scarab, I can relate to that hip and leg pain. A few days ago I started to have the same problem and it was then that I remembered I had experienced this with my previous THR. As I type this I'm lying in bed waiting for said pain to abate because I stupidly got behind with my meds and am now in catch-up mode. For some reason my timer didn't go off when I was due to take my codeine three hours ago so I got to my 9pm MST Continus, plus paracetamol doses (Panadol/acetaminophin/Tylenol to cover the various names for this throughout the world), and was already over the edge. But I'll be fine shortly.

Now, let me just tell you about my pain relief last time round. Like you, I began to worry that I shouldn't be taking meds for so long. I had read so many stories of people who left hospital without needing anything and were swinging from trapezes within a week of surgery. Well, I'm not one of those people and I was lucky to have a care team who understood that everyone has different needs. I was discharged with a prescription of 1,000mg paracetamol every six hours, 30mg codeine every six hours, and 10mg MST Continus twice daily. After about four days, when the above mentioned back and leg pain began to rear its ugly head, I had to speak to my GP, who gave me more MST, plus Sevredol 10mg to take three times per day as required. He gave me a month's supply of each. It was such a relief to be pain-free. However, within a few days I began to worry about becoming addicted and bought a pill cutter to wean myself off the drugs, maybe in a week or two. But I never used that pill cutter because eventually I just naturally started skipping doses without even thinking about it and, in fact, I don't even think I used up half of that prescription. Yesterday I had to speak to my GP about nausea and he changed my anti-sickness meds, plus gave me Sevredol again. Yay!

So, please don't worry about anything but alleviating your pain and recuperating. Everything else will follow. But, the best piece of advice I was ever given where medication is concerned is don't skip the paracetamol. Seriously, acetaminophin is a drug that we all take for granted for minor aches and pains but it is definitely undervalued. So keep taking that four times per day - yes, set your alarm so you don't skip it - and you'll see how few of the rest you'll soon need.

Good luck!

13. Ruamac

Ruamac junior member

Ireland Ireland
    P.S. My pain lag has abated by the time I finished typing the above post:happydance:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Scarab

Scarab junior member

Yay for you! Thanks for sharing your experience. I am back on board with taking the meds on schedule. What you say about eventually forgetting a dose and then naturally coming off the meds is similar to what my PT said about the walker - he said when you find yourself picking up and carrying the walker rather than using it, you will know you don't need it anymore.
    :yes:

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Happy weekend to you!
    You seem to be doing well at only 10 days post op. Slow and easy...you'll get there.
    I found time passed more quickly than I imagined it would while in recovery.
    I used to gauge my progress by weekends, rather than days and looking back from one weekend to the last was most often encouraging.
    I hope you have a nice day!
    @Scarab

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Scarab

Scarab junior member

Thank you, @Layla. Feeling good today. I may get into the car for a ride and a change of scenery. :driver: As a passenger, of course! You have a good weekend, too.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Scarab

Scarab junior member

Just thought I'd update my thread for future purposes. I am 2 1/2 weeks post right anterior THR.
    Went to PT for the first time at the 2-week mark, where I lost the walker and am now using a cane, although I really don't need it for short trips in the house. I take short outdoor walks with the cane twice a day, and they feel great.
    I usually sleep through the night with no problem, although last night I was sore and woke up to take hydrocodone with acetaminophen. That was the only pain med I've used in the last three days.
    Other than some swelling and soreness around the incision and some numbness in the right thigh I have very little pain. I still find myself exhausted from the surgery, however, and spend most of the day resting. I haven't even had the energy for reading - but maybe tomorrow.
    I have had occasional, but not consistent, aching in the other "good" hip, which I am watching for now.
    I couldn't be happier with this result. I can't wait to be able to swim again (in a few weeks, perhaps?) and to resume bike riding. Most of all, I just want to be able to take long, pain-free walks. Can't wait.
    Bowels still not normal - in time, I suppose. Am using Miralax daily.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi @Scarab :wave:
    You're doing well!
    It sounds like you're experiencing Energy Drain. Our body's energy supply isn't limitless. So when we're in healing mode after major surgery our energy will be used for healing first, not leaving a great reserve for all the other activity of daily life. It is completely normal to feel tired for quite some time. How long....most likely relates to your body's rate of healing. Making our best effort to get adequate sleep and rest is beneficial. Our body does it's best healing while we're sleeping.
    http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/energy-drain-for-thrs.12415/

Make sure you're staying well hydrated and eat fruits and veggies as you can tolerate in an effort to combat constipation. Here's an article from the BoneSmart Library -
    http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/constipation-and-stool-softeners.4899/

Thanks for the update. Keep up the good work.
    I hope you have a nice weekend!

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Carriemay60

Carriemay60 post-grad

Canada Canada
    Very good report Scarab! Sounds like you are doing very well indeed! :yahoo:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. Scarab

Scarab junior member

Hi Folks,
    @Layla - thanks for the links. Great advice in these articles. Thanks @Carriemay60. I wish you both a wonderful weekend, too. :SUNsmile:

• Friendly Friendly x 1