Rotator Cuff Repair SaraK - Living the Life after Rotator Cuff Surgery

@momweb - maybe it was your pep talk but I slept the entire night without the sling the last 2 nights. I'll stay in the recliner for awhile, though. I'm a very active side sleeper (both sides) and I'm not sure I'm ready for that yet!

I bought myself a present Sunday - a hex bar (or trap bar) for weightlifting. Ok, relax everyone - it won't arrive until June 22 (3 months after surgery) and won't be used without surgeon and PT ok. Even when I do use it, I don't intend to buy "plates" for a while so it would only be 45 lb. Just a little something for me to continue to see the light at the end of the tunnel!
 
Last edited:
@SaraK I found myself unable to sleep in the recliner. The mechanism to move the chair is on the right --- not going to happen. Then I found the position I was sitting in while in the recliner was hurting my back, so I knew this was not a place I was going to be. We have another chair that I could pull up a footstool to. I used that chair during the day and did fall asleep there. I know a lot of people sleep in a recliner, I just couldn't do it.
 
@momweb - I junked my trusty recliner after my second THR (had been my bed for most of 2 years by the time I pitched it). I've slept in my recliner from time to time but, as with yours, the mechanism was on the right so it wouldn't work. Thankfully, I have a reclining couch and can use the left side of it. I've found it to be more comfortable to sleep in than the current recliner but it definitely would not have worked for THR because you have to use your legs to close it. I can't sleep on my back and never have been able to master sleeping with pillows to lift my head or shoulders - not even those chair-shaped pillows. It bothers my back or I roll off. Somehow, the recliner works. Different strokes! Luckily we each found something that works for us!
 
8 week checkup went well. The surgeon was very happy with range of motion and surprised at level of strength. He was also happy that I am painfree with normal day to day activities since I was in pain before surgery. I see him again in 4 weeks but continue PT, including starting more strengthening. My max weight got increased to 5 lb and then to 10 as tolerated.
 
So glad to hear all is doing well.
I'm a firm believer in the significant role a positive attitude can have on recovery and you on the top of my list when I think about folks who are prime examples of this.
Now, please don't shoot yourself in the foot
(figuratively speaking...unless....you dont have a gun, do you?):heehee:
 
@mojo - no guns but I could find a substantial weight to drop on it if you'd like. Never mind - I have seen friends with foot surgery and it is much more painful and a long time to get to walking. Don't wanna go there!

I agree about positive attitude. I've always told my boys that the most important factor in having a good day is deciding that it's going to be a good day. It determines whether you focus on the little good things or the little bad things. It's sometimes the one part of the day I can control! That's not to say I don't have down days or bad days, but hopefully not too many.

It may seem odd, but one thing that has helped me is helping someone else. A woman in our dancing group was in a serious accident and broke her spine. I didn't really know her - hadn't even ever talked to her - but they asked for people to bring over meals or do some light cleaning so I signed up to help clean. I continued even after my accident. I may not clean my own toilets, but I went over and cleaned hers (bum arm and all). I had limitations, but I could do more than she could. We'd also sit and talk for a long time each time I came over. We've become good friends and, now that she's able to walk a bit outside, we've gotten together a couple of times to do that. Neither one of us might have done it with someone else but we knew both households were being cautious with quarantine/social distancing. You should have seen how excited she was when I suggested a trip to the grocery store!
 
Oh, Sara, that is a great share! I’m glad someone else finds helping other people do chores easier and more fun than doing our own. Lol. My mom also believed and practiced you make your life better by making other lives better. It keeps you from concentrating too much on your troubles. Glad to hear your recovery continues to go well. Keep on keeping on, my friend! ❤ :)
 
Finally - PT I can sink my teeth into! In addition to continuing exercises for range of motion, I also got to do 20-30 reps of the following today: dumbbell press laying on back, bend over rows, scapula retractions and goblet squats - each with 5 lb in each hand (or 10 pounds shared for goblet squats). Wore me out but felt good. Will repeat it all tonight!
 
I bought myself a present Sunday - a hex bar (or trap bar) for weightlifting

:yikes:

Ok, relax everyone - it won't arrive until June 22 (3 months after surgery) and won't be used without surgeon and PT ok.

:yay:

week checkup went well. The surgeon was very happy with range of motion and surprised at level of strength. He was also happy that I am painfree with normal day to day activities since I was in pain before surgery. I see him again in 4 weeks but continue PT, including starting more strengthening. My max weight got increased to 5 lb and then to 10 as tolerated

:yes!:

It may seem odd, but one thing that has helped me is helping someone else.

:friends:

Cat got my tongue, :heehee:

You‘re doing great! I’m happy for you, Sara. Keep it up. :)
 
Yesterday was my first PT session after seeing surgeon for 8 week check and having "strengthening" approved. PT had told me in advance what I could do at home with weights, so I'd started on that. Several new exercises yesterday including wall pushups and movements on wall pushing into ball as well as several different directional movements. That was the tiredest I have been leaving PT so far. The PT and I joked that, other than once when I overheated, I've never cried "uncle" during any of the PT over the last 4 years.

Last night was the first night I've been sore or uncomfortable in weeks. Not too bad, though, and Tylenol and heat took care of it. A little sore again tonight (same exercises) but not as much as last night so assuming this is just DOMS. I'll discuss it with the PT in the morning just in case he thinks we need to modify anything. It's a reminder, though, that this is a long journey and will have its ups and downs.
 
@SaraK you're a little younger than me, and I'm guessing in better shape. I haven't started using any weights and to be honest I'm a little nervous. The only real weight I use is the dog when I walk her which isn't every day. My husband walks her more since she's 47 pounds and if she pulls and I'm holding her in my right hand, I'd be doomed. So I am careful. But since I trained her she's better with me but I'm still no match for that squirrel or chipmunk. LOL
 
:hi: Good Morning!
Hopefully any lingering discomfort is gone this morning, Sara.
I hope you have a good PT session and a great Wednesday! :SUNsmile:
@SaraK
 
Good morning, @Layla (or afternoon now)! So far today is a good day and I had a good PT session. I had similar discomfort last night. Tylenol and heat took care of it, though. The PT and I decided that the wall pushups may have been the culprit. I'm supposed to move closer to the wall for now and do a smaller number. That seemed to make a difference during the session.

In addition to using the dumbbells for scapular retractions and bend over row and similar activities (I'm going to wait another week before increasing over the 5lbs I'm currently using), he gave me some exercises for gentle internal and external rotation that I can do at home over the next week before I see him again. We joked that the days I have PT is a vacation for me because I'm likely to work myself harder than he works me! He will also often not include certain exercises in my sessions if he knows I'm doing them at home (like scapular retractions with weight).
 
We joked that the days I have PT is a vacation for me because I'm likely to work myself harder than he works me!

Take a lil vacay over the long holiday weekend. C’mon, you can do it! Just a teensy weensy, itty bitty one. :yes:
Hope you have a nice holiday. A little bbq...maybe? The weather isn’t looking too promising here for the weekend. I’m kind of bummed. :sad:
Hope your forecast looks good! :SUNsmile:
 
Weather here is supposed to be warm but rainy. I'm going to meet my mom and sister at my sister's cabin outside KC. We may take a drive if we get some clear weather and then will fill the time with manicures, pedicures, food, cards (everyone in my family is a competitive cardshark), board games and conversation. We enjoyed our girl's trip to Maine last fall so my mom suggested the weekend. I will still be doing my exercises, but probably not as much.

What are your plans, @Layla? Are you getting to see your granddaughter through all of this?
 
@SaraK ... do remember the rule about strength building exercises.....that it's a good idea to have at least a day of rest in between them so your muscles can build back up after the "breakdown" that occurs during the exercise period. You might consider on the non-therapy days, exercising other parts of your body besides your shoulder.
 
Jamie, I don't think that's the issue. What is causing some pain appears to be the behind the back and across the shoulder stretches. That's getting a little better now but a long road to go!
 
Okay....it sounds like you're keeping your eye on any pain that's following the exercise. Good for you.
 
Turns out, playing cards is PT, so I've done HOURS of it so far this weekend.

In addition, thanks to my mother (who can't sleep past 6am), I've also spent a few hours each morning transitioning to a real bed instead of a recliner.

I expected this to be a mentally therapeutic weekend. Who knew this would be also be a physically therapeutic one!
 
Haha. Physically therapeutic weekend. I can relate. We’re getting ready this weekend for our first camping outing starting Thursday. It will be 10 days, so lots to get checked and ready. This was supposed to be our Yellowstone outing but since that was canceled, we’re headed to just over the border in Yankton, SD. Nebraska still has enough restrictions for camping that we don’t qualify with our pop-up camper. We do with surrounding states. Go figure. I also got some much neglected yard work done. It was probably the most physically intensive labor I’ve been able to do in a while. It felt so good and was that good tired. I’m glad things are progressing so well with you, Sara, and you’re enjoying the holiday weekend with your family. Sounds fun. Take care and blessings for continued good healing and strength. ❤️ Pat
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom