Rotator Cuff Repair SaraK - Living the Life after Rotator Cuff Surgery

@SaraK .... what a great report on your shoulder. You're doing very well at this relatively early stage. You have it right - slow and steady. I suffered the same problem of lifting my shoulder. I had done it for years to compensate for my bad shoulder and it was an ingrained habit. It took me weeks and weeks to break it. But I did it. You will too.
 
@Jamie - for me, it's not a habit yet but my body's response to current situation. Hopefully it's easier to prevent a bad habit than to get rid of one! Thanks for your support!
 
Great to hear of your healing progress, Sara! That patience muscle is always getting out of shape, isn’t it? Lol. Continued positive healing energy coming your way. ❤️
 
Great report and progress!
I learned to bring my shoulder/upper body to my hand (bend torso forward and keep hand/arm at waist height) while recovering, especially to brush and wash/dry my long hair, and I'm trying to make that a rest-of-my-life habit. I used to (before surgery) always have my hand/arm way up, especially to do my hair, to almost do a tennis serve motion--no more! One RCR is plenty for me. Arthritis will probably make me replace the joint someday, but I hope to avoid that for awhile.
 
@marieltha - I'm still generally doing my hair one handed because I don't want to hold the arm up too long. I meant, though, that I can sit/stand straight with head up and bring the arm up to touch the top of my head. I was surprised I could do that! I've been using my surgical/right arm to eat and drink, cut food, etc for a couple weeks (with Dr ok) so that may have helped. And lots and lots of typing!

At first appt with surgeon (when he just suspected RC tear) he did an x-ray. He said there was only mild arthritis in the shoulder (apparently, if more arthritis, he would have done a replacement instead of a repair). I hope to not have to go thru this process again!
 
So far I have just a tiny microdot of arthritis, too. Hope it stays napping.
It is wonderful when you first can lift that arm, isn't it!
I am at 11 months now and it feels mostly normal. I use the water barbells (pointed triangles) in the pool a couple of times a week and feel much stronger.
Hated the pain, but am very glad I got it repaired.
 
Yes - I'm definitely looking forward to getting back to life. I do eventually want to start weightlifting again, but I know that's going to take time. I've been told I probably won't be able to start back until Sept or Oct at the earliest (especially bench and deadlift). I need to let the injury heal as long as possible and lengthen the tendon first to avoid a future rupture. There will also be no more benching without a spotter or safety bar!
 
Second PT visit done! I could definitely feel a difference from Monday to today. There was a little discomfort lying flat on my back Monday but none today. Today we added the overdose pulley (2 different angles for 2 minutes each) and some "bench press" and "incline press" type movements with a stick (but hands closer together). We also did another scapular retraction exercise leaning against the wall (scapula retraction sounds like it will be one of the continuing themes (much to the delight of my trainer). I'm going to set up the camera of my tablet so that I can watch myself do some of the exercises to make sure the shoulder isn't rising up.

Next PT isn't until Monday but we'll see what progress I make through my "homework. I've also gotten the old rice sock out (transferred the rice to a new, fresh sock). Very good for heat therapy and my PT says also good for increasing the blood flow in the shoulder.

Happy Wednesday all!
 
I do eventually want to start weightlifting again, but I know that's going to take time

Makes me nervous for you...can’t help it.

It seems you’re doing really well though, Sara, which is always good news!
I hope you have a nice week. :)
 
@Layla - weightlifting is not going to happen anytime soon and will only be with PT and/or OS limitations. PT and I talked some today about possible progression. If all progresses well, I'm looking at 4 months post op for squats with safety bar (puts hands in front of chest near neck instead of on sides) and 6 months for regular squat bar and maybe lower weight bench and deadlift. Even when allowed to lift, I'll be working on form and using a higher number of reps instead of heavier loads for a few months. I'll then start building weight slowly as permitted. The goal is to be back where I was about a year after surgery.

In some ways, my trainer will serve as a second PT (one of the trainers I see is actually a PT) in working on form and we'll video lifts for PT to use in his evaluations. But seeing trainer still over 2 months away.
 
weightlifting is not going to happen anytime soon

Good! Maybe you’ll lose interest by then. :heehee:
Only kidding, I know you’re not going to do anything stupid and risk another surgery. I think you've withstood your share already.
 
Happy Cinco De Mayo (or as my PTs former receptionist called it, Cinco De Drinko)!

Continuing to celebrate the little milestones (or millimeterstones, as the case may be). Still working on stretching and flexion. PT is primarily various exercises to moving the arm towards overhead (either with arm straight or bent to start). Sometimes straight on and sometimes at angle from body. He said he works on lateral abduction last because it is the most stressing on the shoulder. So far, things are going well and I can see the arm moving a bit further all the time.

Today's millimeterstone? I washed my hair and combed my hair with both hands! I'm sure it doesn't seem to like to anyone that hasn't been thru this, but the other shoulder warriors understand!
 
Yahoo to the hair washing. I remember when I was able to stand straight up to wash my hair instead of bending over so much. To those of us going through this, it is a very big deal! Sounds like you and I are very close to the same place. See my post where I explain a little further.
 
I celebrate with you, Sara! Those millimeterstones are important! Like putting your socks and pants on again unaided with the hip! Weight lifting? You’re my hero! Never could get very far with that. Lol. Stay safe. ❤️
 
Nail on the head @Hip4life - both in timeframe and importance, this is much the equivalent of putting on socks or tying shoes! I know the weight lifting isn't for everyone but it's my pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. I can't weight (yeah, silly pun) to get back to lifting SOMETHING! When I picked up the 3 lb bag of oranges Saturday, I suddenly remembered that, even though it didn't feel heavy, I wasn't supposed to be using that hand to pick it up.

In the meantime, my training/lifting gym is tempting me. During this shut down, they've taken over more space in their building, more than doubling their space. And sending out tantalizing photos of the remodeling on Facebook - kind of like sending out pictures of fancy desserts to someone dieting! I'm going to have to go by there when things open just to see people and the renovations.
 
That is just cruel and unusual punishment! Lol. I really miss the pool. Big sigh! I remember running down the hall at work to answer a doctor’s call and realizing, wow, I actually just ran down the hall and was I supposed to be doing that?! I laughed at myself after I got off the phone. Someone even said: I haven’t seen you do that in, like, forever! It felt good to be able to forget. As long as we don’t hurt ourselves, right? It’s a good sign you’re getting there. Now, if people would just tone down the temptations! ❤️ Pat
 
:wave:@SaraK
Happy Thursday and just catching up on your thread.
Glad to see you are able to do more and healing well.
I have only had the time/energy to pop in sporadically but I am happy to see you doing better.
Healing hugs and good mojo coming your way, as always :friends:
 
Hi @SaraK wishing you a very Happy Mother's Day tomorrow.

Quick question for you: Does your wrist and forearm ever hurt? I find that if I do too much that is one area that gets sore. I'm guessing it's due to the fact that the muscles are so connected. I was just curious if you had that too.

Enjoy your day, Sue
 
Happy mother's day to everyone (fur baby mamas included)!

@momweb - I had some pain in forearm and wrist a few weeks ago when I got more active. I think part of it was disuse and so muscles got tired and sore. Or, because of sling, I was doing normal things but in a different way. I haven't had those issues in a while - especially since I got the sling off.

I've tried to sleep without the sling the last couple of nights but have had trouble getting comfortable (may be psychological) and have woken in pain in the middle of the night. I put the sling on and I'm fine in the morning. I've tried a number of positions and pillows or padding under the arm or shoulder but they don't seem to help. I guess I'll have to just continue to wean myself off the sling at night gradually.
 
Hello everyone. @SaraK I've been out of the sling for about 4 weeks now. About 3 weeks ago I went back to sleep in my own bed. I do not wear the sling and haven't for the 4 weeks since I stopped. At night I used to sleep semi-upright using pillows. I probably used about 6 pillows, 3 under my head, one under my good shoulder, and one under my good arm. Then I used another to hold onto for whatever reason. LOL.

Today I only use one pillow under my head and a very cushy pillow under my right arm. There are still nights when I wake around 2-3 and find I need to get some ice in order to go back to sleep. I know you said heat worked better for you. The ice seems to settle the shoulder down and I fall back to sleep. But because I sleep with my arms bent, that's where my elbow, forearm, and wrist start to ache. Once the arm is in a normal position the ache goes away. I understand that as the arm gets stronger, this ache will go away.

Today I haven't felt well. Bad headache which I think was partly a migraine. I actually went back to bed and got up around 11 this morning. I've been having a feeling of fatigue all day. Hopefully, I'll sleep tonight and feel better tomorrow. I'm hoping to be able to work out at home. I found a video with a mother and daughter team which looked like fun.

Hope you had a nice day today. We ordered out and had a great family meal. My daughter and her fiance came over and sat at the opposite end of the table. It was good to see them.

Sue
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom