THR Sarah Bee (Re)Learns to Walk.

Hi SarahBee,
You had your THR on my mother's 93rd birthday - a lucky day for both of you! You seem to be doing well and have a great attitude. I was so freaked out after my first hip replacement that I think it delayed my recovery a bit. My second hip was much better. I joke that if I had a third hip, I'd have it down pat!

Blessings to your mama, @KathyD. 93 is quite a mileston.

I was so scared and in so much pain that I did not expect to do well. Countless nights I cried on my husband. So just as I told my OS I was shell shocked at my diagnosis, I was equally shell shocked to wake with the pain gone. It has been a good shock. And folks here have been wonderful.

Good morning, @SE Florida . I think fear is always the worst part of any new experience. Once we are past that, it's much easier to move on. I don't find I'm sleeping extremely well because my back gets very tired just lying. But combined with resting during the day, I'm not very tired.

Have a great day. We will hit the 80's with storms this evening.

Day 5 since surgery....

Here I am, iced and elevated. I feel well but I've got some a bit of swelling on right side: thigh, knee, calf. Better than yesterday but still annoying.

Had PT this morning. Added two more. So now I have 7 exercises which barely constitute movement. :eyebrows: .Not totally true.... There is gentle movement and stretching and it all feels good! I was just soooo anticipating the worst that I am thrilled with my assigned activities! :happydance:

Hope you all are having a blessed day.

Sorry to hear you're not sleeping that well at night, Sarah. Very common in the early weeks as I'm sure you've gathered. Thankfully you're able to nap or rest during the day.

I don't know about you but I sometimes like a good old thunderstorm. Lightening can scare me though. A couple home's in my neighborhood have been struck. One started on fire. The other was my sister's house, before she moved / lived in the home though. A bolt of lightning went down the fireplace and cracked the tiles on the floor. Needless to say they installed lifhteneing protection as soon as they moved in.
Weather forecast is saying we're to get 5-8 inches of snow on Thursday! With a high of 64 and sunshine predicted for today, I'm getting outside very soon to enjoy.

I hope you have a lovely Monday and a great week!
@SarahBee

Day 5 since surgery....

Here I am, iced and elevated. I feel well but I've got some a bit of swelling on right side: thigh, knee, calf. Better than yesterday but still annoying.

Had PT this morning. Added two more. So now I have 7 exercises which barely constitute movement. :eyebrows: .Not totally true.... There is gentle movement and stretching and it all feels good! I was just soooo anticipating the worst that I am thrilled with my assigned activities! :happydance:

Hope you all are having a blessed day.

Hi SarahBee hippie friend! We’re both very fortunate in our recovery! Glad you’re doing well- PT this morning too. Excellent PT-listens and very supportive. We’re on the way:)

@beachlily , yes, I was happy when she put her hand under my leg... But it was only support. I was so afraid she was going to move it... And I was gonna have to kung fu fight her! :loll:

Glad you are coming along well, hippie buddy!

Hey, @SE Florida I'm doing well. I woke this morning with some shin pain that began during the night. Aaarrrggghhh! I believe it may be one of the exercises that was added yesterday. A brief icing took care of that.

I will try today to rest without napping. My nighttime sleep is the worst and is making for very long nights. I have, so far, resisted the temptation to wake my husband and complain I can't sleep! :bored:

Other than that, all is going well. Hope you are feeling good and progressing well. I need to catch up on threads.....

I had that unfortunate shin pain too and TMI it is the worst when I have to sit on the toilet!!!? Geez kind of hard to take care of business with pain shooting in the leg!! Seems like you might still need a nap (or 2!) if you aren't sleeping well at night :yawn:

For those suffering with a log leg, can you tell me what this means? My leg is heavy but so far no issues with getting in and out of bed, or walking. Attempting to lift it meets with resistance. :unsure:

@SarahBee This is my experience: I try to move my leg but it doesn't move, so I stare at it and think really hard saying "MOVE". It just won't move like it isn't getting the messages from my brain. I can feel it, it's not numb at all; I can walk on it. But I either have to use something to lift it or have someone lift it for me. When I first get up, I usually have to pull forward on my PJ pants to get it to catch up with my good leg for about 3 steps. Fatique, pain, etc don't seem to make it worse or better. I was wondering if it had anything to do with swelling.

I just googled and it brought me back here to the happiest place on earth, lol.

I found this from Pumpkin in 2014:
A leg that feels like you are lifting a log, your leg will feel very heavy. It is from the muscles shutting down after surgery due to the trauma, it goes away with use and time.

And Jaycey in the same 2014 post:
A leg that feels like you are lifting a log, your leg will feel very heavy. It is from the muscles shutting down after surgery due to the trauma, it goes away with use and time.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022