THR Sarah Bee (Re)Learns to Walk.

Need some suggestions! I am almost 11 months post op and still cannot put on socks without my sock assist, can't trim my own toe nails, or tie my shoes. I'm at a total loss on what to do. I tried putting my left foot up on my knee but oh, boy! The feeling of getting stabbed on the right side. Honestly, it scared me that my implant was stabbing me! Any suggestions for this. :yikes:

I have been very cautious, maybe too much so because years of immobility has me traumatized that I will screw something up and be back on the sofa, unable to move. I see the doctor on March 10 but would like to start working this out NOW. Because patience is not my long suit. I dunno. :shrug:

Gentle suggestions?
 
I had to sneak up on reaching my foot. It took a slow easy stretch every day before my muscles wanted to allow me to reach my foot. How was your reaching before the THR? With my left it was almost traumatic when I went for my foot the first time in the shower. Felt like I tore something inside my hip. With my right it's been really slow coming around for reaching my foot. I could do toe touches with no problem but if I bent my knee the pain and pulling in the back side was terrible. It was the same way sitting in a chair and reaching for my foot, just wouldn't go. Little by little I've worked my way down. When I sit in my recliner I would slide my heel towards me and get it a little closer little by little, seemed to help stretch the muscles.
 
How was your reaching before the THR?
Non-existent for the most part. My hip replacement was 15 years in the making, so I had lost virtually all mobility, including walking, bending, stooping. I was sedentary for the last year and a half or so before surgery, except needed trips to the bathroom, and my hip finally collapsed in January 2019.

I will try the heel slides (seems safe enough) and the slow easy stretches. My husband keeps telling me to trust my hip but boy, it's hard. Walking is no problem. I easily walk a mile or two every day. Fear is a strange thing and I suspect that it is a big part of my problem. Thanks @Eman85
 
With my newest to go with my other I can now walk until I get tired or bored with no joint pain. I had bad hips for over 50 years and limited ROM all of my life so I'm sure some of my muscles are wondering what in the world is going on! I started doing some real simple Yoga a few years back and of course with bad hips I was limited. It took a while for me to understand not to push the stretch, just go as far as you can and it will come slowly. My back hurts all of the time too so the movements and stretches helped that also. It's good to be a bit wary and it does get easier to trust the hip, but even at 2 years on my left I still know it's not original equipment.
 
This limitation is interesting to say the least, as I am able to shave my legs without an issue. But I still use a scrubby and a lotion applicator for my feet because I just can't quite get there. :unsure:
 
There is a technique called the two second stretch or active isolative stretching by Aaron Mattes, that I was taught at my town fitness center by someone who has studied with Aaron Mattes. It helped my hip tremendously to move a bit better when my range of motion became so limited.

Instead of a traditional 30 second stretch, it’s a two second stretch and then you breath out for two seconds to relax. It is very gentle, but over time I found things slowly releasing, to my amazement.

If you are interested, you can google it, and see what you think.
 
You’re welcome. It took about three months before most of the big muscles started releasing, but when they did, it was a continuous, visible, improvement.

Just keep working at it. You will get there!
 
One thing you might want to consider is get a nice hot bath run, Epsom salts are always a plus, and relax in that for a bit. Then once you're nice and comfy try crossing your foot over the opposite knee. The warmth of the water helps loosen you up. I actually sit cross legged in the tub at times to get an extra little stretch in.

The other thing that I did when putting socks on, I usually started by sitting down, bent toward my foot and slid the sock over my toe, then stood up on one leg, bending my foot back to touch my bottom and pulled the sock up the rest of the way. To be safe lean up against the arm of the couch or something. It amazed me that my knee and hip had no issues bending that way but didn't and still aren't real happy with sideways. Hope that makes sense.
 
Hi @SarahBee Inching forward, I bet you will get there with incremental stretches. I can really relate to fear. I am petrified when floors are wet.

Curious what you use for putting lotion on your feet? I have 5 more weeks of 90degree and my toes need some TLC.

Hope you have a relaxing weekend. ❤️
 
Just like @Elf1 talked about the hot bath, I'm lucky enough to have a hot tub. While sitting in the hot tub I do stretches which feels good and loosens things up. When I was still following restrictions to put my socks on I'd use the sock aid and then lie on my back and do a heel slide so I could reach my foot to pull my sock up.
 
:hi: Happy One Year Anniversary, Sarah!
I hope you continue to do well and stay safe in these days of uncertainty.
Hugs to you....God bless!
@SarahBee
 
Thank you, @Layla . I just realized and was coming on to comment. I am being a house mouse these days. Only going out if I can pick up an order. My husband is, unfortunately, considered essential personnel so he goes out each day.

I saw my OS on March 10 and have a nice picture of my hip and its good bone growth. My left hip is in need of replacement but until my breast issue is resolved, and now this virus, it will just have to wait. But it is, knock on wood, cooperating for the most part.

hope you all stay safe and well! Hugs to everyone!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom