THR Sarah Bee (Re)Learns to Walk.

I found it interesting, too, JennyLynne. I received a letter after first visit with my pre op testing, my clearance appointment with my PCP, surgery date and follow up all in one. I saw him twice before I left the hospital. This is apparently his MO.

I had an Aquacel surgical dressing. It stayed in place two weeks and then we took it off. My PT helped me. I had no stitches visible but there was a strip of tape down the middle. I am allowed to trim frayed ends but not remove. Suspect it is glued under that tape. Tape will either be gone or be removed by OS next week.
 
She did not, @59billy . And to be honest, first visit I was so afraid she was going to make me do something painful, it didn't occur to me to ask. Hindsight being 20/20, I wish I had!
 
Splendid to hear you are doing well!:) :-) (:
My back bothered me during recovery...and I did the ice in front, heat on back too.
When I got more mobile...my back (SI joint) really were aggravated as things adjusted with my new gait and better posture.
It did take a bit...but things slowly got better and better.:happydance:Hope your weekend is sweet!:SUNsmile:
 
Last edited:
Indeed, @JennyLynne . That was one reason I looked at my surgeon's number of THR (high) and revision and infection rates (low) and left the details to him, trusting he knew what he was doing. :fingersx: .I also looked at infection rates at the hospital he uses, thinking that would also weigh on my outcome. So far pretty satisfied, knock wood.

Thanks, @Mojo333 . I am really trying not to get ahead of myself but well, it is difficult.
 
The variation in OS practices is quite wide, huh?!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

And PT seems to vary even more. I'm starting to think that a lot of therapists have a cookie cutter approach: "oh, hip replacement? Have them do the exercises on page 37." Others actually listen to the client, maybe even read the medical file or something. I was fortunate to get the latter, but then I was pretty clear about my own expectations.
 
Wow, leave you for an afternoon and you’re off and running. Assuming measurements mean range of motion. Excellent! Hope you get lots of great assurance today about general health and blood pressure. Had your type of wound care/ incision last time and much preferred it to the staples this time. Scar was much cleaner too. Good luck.
 
I was happy with my physical therapist as well, @59billy. We worked well together and she never once tried to.push me beyond my comfort zone but still encouraged me to stretch for it.

Yes, @Fit4Family, the measurements were for range of motion. I was pleased. Thought that leg was permanently frozen in place.
 
Nice visit with the PA. My blood pressure was 118/68 so no need to do anything with that! Still some swelling in my foot but that will only be a concern if it gets worse or is still there at the end of summer. The trauma to the leg is "most likely" the culprit.

Bad news is I have gained three pounds since April 19. I was told not to worry too much because I just had really, really major surgery. Also told only eat ice cream on weekends. It won't make me fat then! Who knew??
 
I think you can eat ice-ream everyday as long as it is drizzled with dark chocolate sauce and sprinkled with fresh berries. Including more food groups balances it out. :heehee:

My feet (especially the op leg) have been very swollen. I continuously seem to run out of time in a day to elevate. Not because I am busy, it just changes which sloth activities I can do. Last night, I got set up elevating at bedtime intending to leave it for an hour while I watched a show in bed. I fell asleep until 5am and woke up with a totally normal looking foot on the op leg. I doubt it will still look this good after a bit of walking and sitting in a regular chair but it proved the point how much elevating helps.
 
I know what you mean, @Carriemay60 I have finished lunch, had my juice and am currently in the recliner with my foot elevated and an ice pack on my thigh. Swelling is already down again. Nap time but I'm sure I will roll my foot and disturb myself. :yawn::sleep:
 
Also told only eat ice cream on weekends. It won't make me fat then! Who knew??

Ok, that has to be total, ummmmm, bull hockey!!! You must eat the ice cream EVERY day with CarrieMay's dark chocolate sauce. Fresh berries if you feel like being healthy. :rotfl: How else are we supposed to make a full recovery without the ice cream??? I am happy to hear about your blood pressure though, lucky girl you! @SarahBee
 
Happy One Month Anniversary!
It's been a joy following your recovery so far, Sarah.
You are a great addition to the forum through your support and encouragement of others.
You also have a wonderful sense of humor which certainly helps during recovery.
Thanks for your contributions.
A wonderful weekend to you!
@SarahBee
 
Thank you, @Layla I forgot it was my one month anniversary! Oh how time flies and how far I've come! Feels great to be this far along. I have had to remind me to slow my roll sometimes. I get in a hurry to get over there. Wherever that is.

:hiking:
 

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom