Guest viewing is limited

THR Sandpiper sails over to the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just play around with online dictionaries.. Nothing formal, don't have time until I retire sandpiper
 
Poppet I'm impressed!! I always wanted to learn French. I speak German just because my parents are from Germany but I always wanted to learn another language
 
Go ahead.. The world is your oyster, everything is possible.. Going through a THR has taught me that I have a go at most things, life is short and I don't want to miss a second of it xx
 
Poppet. You have such a wonderful attitude! I have to learn to do that....just go for it...just do it.... :iagree:
 
Oh, and I forgot that I was teaching myself Spanish..... Ask alexthecat, she is very smart and taught herself also :)

Well, not quite. I studied Spanish for three years in high school and two more years in college. A few months before my THR, I enrolled in a Spanish class at a local college as a refresher. I was bored and lonely after being stuck at home for six months, recovering from various surgeries. After THR, I didn't bother with Spanish classes (though I do take part in a Spanish book club) because I was finally able to return to work.
 
Fantastic alexthecat... A big achievement which ever way you look at it, learning a second language :)
 
Well....it's been a week and a half since my big day and I'm doing great! I have been weaning off the walker since the first day of my in-home PT, which was on the 5th day after surgery. My therapist is a 79 yr. old tiny little lady who is absolutely amazing! She walked in, saw my walker and said..." Do you REALLY need that?!" Lol she pushes me to do more than I'd ever attempt to do on my own but I have to say not once did my body protest. I find myself getting up out of my chair and walking into the kitchen before it even occurs to me that I didn't use a walker OR a cane!! I've been walking down the street and back ( about 5 houses down) with my cane just in case I need it but end up not using it! I haven't had any problems showering or dressing. Sometimes I wonder if/when the other shoe will fall! Lol i know I will have some bad days but so far it hasn't happened. I feel so fortunate and so blessed. As some of you may have read from some of my earlier posts, 3 yrs. ago I lost my dad, a yr. and a half ago my father-in-law and less than 3 months ago an uncle and my dearest mother-in-law. This may sound crazy but I believe they have been my guardian angels through this. Between them and my new BS family I truly have been looked out for and blessed. The friendship and caring concern has helped me through! I am so very grateful! I hope I'll be able to give back some of what I've received! :angel:
 
Congratulations, sandpiper. Whether it's your angels or your own strength propelling you forward, you are certainly doing well. In my surgery prep visualizations, one was to envision your invisible loved ones standing around you during surgery, cheering you on. I found it comforting and helpful. Love the story of your PT. Terrific. Just say no if it hurts.
 
LeeApril26. Thanks for taking the time to read that. I think I wrote it as much for myself. Don't worry....one thing I definitely learned here on BS is that it's ok to say "NO ....It hurts!" to the PT!!
So far so good!! :yikes:
 
Ok...I have to share my latest PT story with you! Today my little 79 yr. old PT walked in and told me to go sit in the chair, which I did. Then she said " ok.... now fall onto the floor!" Uhhhh......say what?????!!!! She was dead serious!!! She said " what are you going to do if you fall? You need to learn how to get yourself back up... now....fall!" Well I was totally shocked and had no idea how to drop myself onto the floor without injuring myself! She was no help at all. Whenever I asked her how I should go about it she'd just tell me to figure it out because when you fall for real you don't have a plan!!! Lol i managed to scootch my fanny off the edge of the chair with my legs extended out in front of me paying attention not to break the 90 degree rule!!! Then she said " now get up!" :yikes: I managed to roll over onto my good side, get my knees under me and pull myself up onto the chair!!! I suppose it was a good drill to learn just in case I do ever fall but seriously..... Has anyone else had this as part of their PT???? Lolol
 
just saying ... I would still be laying there ... that is why the phone will be in my walker basket/everything I will need bag! Dad dug out a pair of walkie talkies I had forgotten we had, just so we can stay in touch will I am 2 rooms away!

So happy you are up and dancing!!!!!
 
sandpiper you are doing so well!! Forgetting the cane, yup, happy days ahead:yahoo: I love your PT, she sounds like a firecracker! Do you think she was a 4th grade teacher in her first career?? I was not asked to fall:yikes: You didn't really go thump on the floor, did you? But that was a good thing for her to do b/c it gave you the confidence to be on the floor if needed. Some of my exercises had to be on the floor b/c the bed has too many pillows inside it. I invented a method of getting down onto my pile of rugs-from-the-entry-hall-that-I-won't-trip-over from the hearth they're stacked in front of by doing what you did off the chair, only this is just 18" down and up. Good for the triceps, hard on the shoulders...

I like your avatar too, not sure if I said that when I first saw it :)

flowergirl walkie-talkies, what a great, fun idea!!!
 
sandpiper. do you think she was a commando in her earlier days? I think my PT was a drill sergeant, but she hasn't made me fall. Learning to get up is a good idea-haven't a clue how to do it.
 
LeeApril26, zauberflöte, yes my PT is a real spitfire! She is 79 yrs old and one of her clients told her she should retire and let the young kids take her place. Her reply was that she'd be happy to if they could find a young person good enough to take her place! Lol
 
sandpiper Love that PT! 4th grade teacher - mmmm. The young ones (some) seem to be full of theory and reckon they are training you for the Olympics, not just everyday life. I was lucky at the group out-patient PT at the hospital - had one who told us to stop if anything hurt! Noticed the difference when she had a week off, but we were far enough in to get stroppy with her sub!
I only worked out how to get up when I did fall in house on my own - had just left phone on charge in kitchen and tripped in conservatory. I got up eventually - bruises, bent specs and a lump of skin off my nose but hip fine!
Last week I practiced getting on and off our boat (36' motor cruiser) and moving around on it, now looking forward to going on our boat trip through France/Belgium/Netherlands soon.:happydance: My husband and a friend have taken the boat to France and will be leaving it in a marina there for a bit ready for us to start the voyage.
Our trip to the Netherlands last year was a bit of a blur to me through the pain and the Oramorph, now down to the occasional OTC meds so I can have wine and some of that lovely Belgian beer!:cheers:
Best wishes to all
Anne
 
Nannyannie. Wow Anne! The trip sounds wonderful!!! And I'm so glad you are feeling good enough to enjoy it this time ! Wow what a scary fall you had! Thank goodness you didn't harm the hip! Your poor nose though!!! Just think what a better place you are in now than you were prior to your surgery! The difference is incredible, isn't it?!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom