THR Sandpiper sails over to the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
nmay51 ByGosh ok...so since I had't taken any pain meds at all since yesterday, my mom and I stopped for lunch after my post-op appt.
and I ordered a dirty martini!!!! My first in forever!!! Omg! It was great! I felt like a big girl... Ordering a drink! Ha! :martini:
 
ok...so since I had't taken any pain meds at all since yesterday, my mom and I stopped for lunch after my post-op appt. and I ordered a dirty martini!!!! My first in forever!!! Omg! It was great! I felt like a big girl... Ordering a drink! Ha! :martini:

sandpiper, CONGRATULATIONS AND CHEERS HIPPIE TWIN!!!! I love it for you on every level possible. Dirty martini, Great OS report, I just feel like a proud Momma!!!:goodpost: :yahoo: Have you considered buying a lottery ticket, because it sounds like today is a lucky day for you.

Nancy
 
sandpiper What a great OS visit for you! Congratulations on your great progress, but most of all three cheers to you having your martini! :martini: You really do deserve it! I'm so glad you enjoyed it, too. Take care and keep up the good job of getting better. :friends:
 
nmay51
sandpiper, CONGRATULATIONS AND CHEERS HIPPIE TWIN!!!! I love it for you on every level possible. Dirty martini, Great OS report, I just feel like a proud Momma!!!:goodpost: :yahoo: Have you considered buying a lottery ticket, because it sounds like today is a lucky day for you.

Nancy
you are too funny my hippie twin! The proud momma! You are more like the baby sister! Your only 52! I'm 56! Lol. Your a kid!!
 
Hey sandpiper! You're as old as you feel & act, and that makes neither of us our age.... Don't ever forget that!:friends:

I'm officially on the cocktail! No more prescription pain meds for me, I hope. I don't feel as good as I did, but I'm close enough and the fact that I want to be off them was the deciding factor. I'm still mobile just a little bit more achy. I'm going to give it some time to settle down.

When do you go back to your own place?

Nancy
 
nmay51. I'm soooo ready to go home! I miss my kids and my grandkids!!! My mom's house is 1½ hrs away from my house. My kids have stopped by but I'm used to seeing them all the time! I don't really need any help any longer and my PT came and officially released me today so there isn't any point in my staying longer other than I think my mom will miss the company.

I'm so happy you are doing so well and off the prescription meds! Are you on blood thinners and iron supplements? I'm on blood thinners for another 7 days I believe and iron they told me to take for another 2 months.

Are you doing any PT or have you decided to do it on your own? I have a script for up to 6 weeks of out patient PT but he did say he thought I could do it all on my own without PT. He hasn't discussed going back to work ( guess that's a no brainer after 2½ weeks huh? Much as I miss work ( I work 2 jobs so when school's out I take on full time hrs at my second job) I need to be fully recovered when I jump back into 11-11½ hr work days!!

How about you? What do you do for work and are you able to take the full amount of time you need to recover? I hope so because in the long run I believe you (and me!) will be much better off! It's hard when work puts pressure on you to return too early!!!


As for only being as old as I feel and act...uh oh! Sometimes I feel 100 and sometimes I act like a teenager! Yikes! lol. Keep me posted on how you make out with the cocktail! Just think you can have some Merlot!
 
bottomshollow do i take the tylenol and ibuprofen at the same time or alternate them? Also, I am
still on xarelto 10 mg 1 x daily. Is it ok to take the ibuprofen with xarelto or should I wait until I'm off the blood thinners altogether?
 
One of the effects of NSAIDs is that they impair the function of platelets which are important for blood clotting. It is my understanding that while taking oral blood thinners or injecting anticoagulants one should avoid ibuprofen because ibuprofen also thins the blood, and excessive blood thinning may lead to bleeding. Being allergic to NSAIDs because of my kidneys, I studied and researched this class of drugs extensively, but lets get Jo's comment Josephine
 
Poppet. Tx! That's what I thought as well. I had concerns about doing the cocktail while still on blood thinners. nmay51.... If you are on blood thinners you may be interested as well. But maybe you aren't on them. I'm not sure if everyone gets put on blood thinners or is that a preference of the Dr.?
 
sandpiper, you are welcome, certainly here in Australia our surgeons prescribe a course of blood thinning injections, but I have read where some members in the northern hemisphere are often given Aspirin instead.. Like you say, Dr's preference I guess :)
 
Poppet many things seem to be left to the discretion of the individual Dr. I have noticed also they neglect to tell you these things sometimes. Tx for the info!!! As you can tell....I'm wide awake here at 2:45 a.m. thinking about this stuff! :mcoffee:
 
nmay51 and Poppet. See that! Huge difference between 7 days and 42 days! I got 21 days worth of pill form blood thinners and of course the 3 days I was hospitalized. Did you both have to do the injections in the stomach? Sounds painful!
 
sandpiper, no they are not painful at all, just subcutaneous and if go inject at a right angle to your tum, it is all over in a second :) the key is not to hesitate..
 
Everyone, you will see I have changed Judy's post and added this article link instead Tylenol/ibuprofen cocktail. In there you will find lots more information including a warning about using NSAIDs when on anticoagulants.

It is also preferred that the name "BoneSmart cocktail" NOT be used for this as it is actually nothing to do with BoneSmart. It's just 'the cocktail'.
 
Hi sandpiper You sound great and ready to roll! Good for you. It was very nice that you could stay with your Mom post-op and have your PT there, too. She must have loved having you, and how nice for you to have Mom around after such big surgery. How many children do you have and how old? I have 3 and they're all still in school, and living at home. I love it, even though they're getting grown-up. One is 26, 20, 18. The 26 year old is home and going to grad school, the 20 year old is taking a year off to work, the 18 year old is going to college in the fall, so she'll be gone. They're all great, though. We don't mind having them around a bit!

I had 21 days of blood thinners by mouth post-op, too. I was glad to finally be off of them. One less pill to take. I was also on iron pills for 4 months. My rheumatologist said 6 months, but I'd had enough of them, too. My blood work was fine afterward, so my body recovered from the surgical blood loss.

I'm ok, thanks for asking. I had an ultrasound of my painful hips (groin) and it showed tendonitis and bone spurs. The US doc said I had good reason to be in pain.. I'm scheduled for steroid injections on Tues, so I hope he gets the report by then, and he can still do them. I think so. I'm desperate to find something that will help me. Some THR patients get tendonitis post-op. It's one thing to be careful of with too much activity too soon, or too much flexion or bending. My surgical approach was anterior, so I was more prone to it. Of course, I didn't know any of this until it was too late! I'm praying it can be treated and I'll improve, though.

I'm glad you'll be able to get back to your own home soon. Moms are great, but nothing like your own home. :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom