THR Sandpiper sails over to the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
sandpiper better late than never, congratulations on your great update! I'm just as impressed with your progress as your surgeon is! I took my cane into the exam room at two weeks-- figured I'd play it safe...but I hadn't used it except as a whacker LOL for some days. Practise that all-important panic stop before you drive! Get in and out the car like you ahve a miniskirt on, and it will be way easier. Unless you drive a low-down sports car, which might be the end of you LOL!!
 
zauberflöte HEY!!! Great idea... The cane used as a whacker! Why didn't I think of that?! Sounds like you also had a great recovery! That's so wonderful!! I'm not going to even attempt the driving for a bit yet. I worry about exactly what you said...the panic stop.it's my right hip that was operated on so I have to be able to slam on the breaks if need be! No need for me to push it. When did you get clearance to drive?
 
ByGosh How nice that your children are still with you! It's great isn't it!! You mentioned your daughter going off to college soon. I'm sure you'll miss her terribly! Are the others boys? You have a busy household. I don't know how you managed during your recovery from your surgery. I can't even imagine have both hips done at the same time! You are a very brave, strong lady!

I have 2 daughters. One is 29 and has an 8 yr. little girl and the other is 28 and has a 6 yr. old daughter and 4 yr. old son. My oldest daughter is in the middle of a divorce. We purchased a home together so I am lucky enough to see her and my granddaughter every day! I know that someday she'll find love again and move on with her life but for now I have to admit I'm loving every minute of our life together!
You mentioned tendonitis. Is that in both hips? It must be very painful! Is that strictly due to over doing it a bit? I hope everything gets all sorted out on Tuesday! Keep me posted!!!
 
sandpiper yes, so far i am blessed greatly with a great recovery. People see me out and about, and I have to tell them that recovery is not painful for me, it's boooooring--- resting when I don't want to, not doing stuff that I feel like I can, etc. I was in a kind of dangerous place in the 5th week and am there again now in 9th week-- having more energy than I'm burning, is what it feels like. But Slow and Steady Wins the Race, I know that so I try so hard to behave!! Rest mid-day and total rest after supper until the lovely lovely "bedtime walk"-- I went more than a quarter of a mile last night!
I was cleared to drive at my 2-week visit, so long as I wasn't taking the percocet, and could turn to see to back up, and do the panic stop. Well, at that time my brain was still very fuzzy, and I didn't even want to try till 5 weeks. My first drive was solo, around the 'hood. After I gained a little confidence I drove the 2 miles to the grocery store, and that was a real challenge for the stamina-- I was so nervous I wondered if I'd pass out in the Kroger! To contrast, a couple of days ago (which would be 3 weeks after the first drive, more or less) I drove 30 minutes on the interstate to the OS office, had a 2-hour wait, saw the PA, drove 30 minute back, fed the cats and went on the treadmill!!!!!

I knew I had to do that OS appointment unaided, so I had practised driving longer and longer times at higher and higher speeds (the Peaches method of practising a skill, which I love and swear by), b/c I knew I'd have to do 65 or 70 to keep up! I found the worst part physically to be sitting int he car seat, but for now that has abated some. Mentally of course it was the concentration that was the challenge. My brains have started to come back the last week or so, for which I am very grateful! Take your time getting back into driving, it's good you're not pushed by circumstances. :)
 
Josephine or Poppet or anyone else who might know. I have a headache which has pretty much gone on daily round the clock since surgery. When I took the Vicodin it wiped out the surgical pain but didn't touch the headache. I would have thought the acedominephen (sp) in it would help . Yesterday and today it's really bad. What can I take or do? I can't take ibuprophin. I'm still on blood thinners. Could the headache be from the spinal or the pain meds? I know of spinal headaches if the spinal fluid leaks. Also my neck is very stiff and my lower back. Maybe that?
 
nmay51 awwwwww! Thank you for looking out for me my hippie twin! I read it and felt better about it not being a spinal headache. It's not as severe as the woman who posted having had one! It's just very annoying and yesterday and today it's a bad headache. Not migraine level at all though! I did see Josephine's post about a reaction to meds. I wonder about that as I seem to recall complaining prior to surgery when I was on percocet. I remember commenting that I couldn't believe Percocet could allieviate the OA pain and not a simple headache!!! Maybe I'll try regular tylenol. Two 500 mg and see what happens. Tx Nancy!!!!
 
Also my neck is very stiff and my lower back. Maybe that?
Very much so. It's very likely your stiff neck is causing your headache, a tension headache. Try some of these exercises




and I quite liked this one too

 
Josephine thank you so much!! I will try the exercises! I appreciate your looking out for me mother hen!!!
 
Hi all! Just a quick update. I am home from mom's and doing quite well. I can't complain! I was very tired on Friday because I had been on my feet all day packing up my stuff at my mom's and just doing various little things. Then an hr. and a half car ride home and once I got home it was unpacking! I was exhausted by the end of the night so I laid low all day yesterday. I felt a bit energized today! I was able to catch up on some laundry and get all my bills paid. Got my exercises in and now I'm just sitting down with my feet up and my ice packs!!! Have a great night all!
 
Ok so I must know!!!what is the peaces method of driving practicing??

Hey sandpiper ! The " Peaches Method" of learning anything post- THR is her own invention but it sure makes sense! One simply does a tiny bit of the desired activity the first time, and then as time goes on increases the time spent and/or the intensity of the activity. She was walking and making dry runs to work with city buses etc, I was driving for longer and longer distances with more or less traffic at higher and higher speeds. Same theory! :-) She also had a "swap-out" theory, in which you would, say, skip PT because you had done this or that ordinary activity such as a little house cleaning or laundry or working from home or whatever. I use that too! :-)
 
zauberflöte. I love that theory!!! I'm going to try it! I actually did get behind the wheel yesterday. My daughter was driving my car the first two weeks while I was at my mom's just so it wasn't sitting too long. She parked it in a different spot than I usually park it and since I'm completely OCD of course it was driving me crazy!! I drove it to the end of my block ( about 6 or 7 houses down , made a U turn and drove back and parked. I was very nervous about breaking the 90 degree rule so I put my backrest way back and moved my seat pretty far back. It was not at all comfortable! I think I'll wait another week or two. No need to rush that part. There is nothing I need to run out for that can't wait til my daughter can take me. I don't need to be put there endangering lives!!!! :yikes: how is everything with you? Are you feeling pretty good?
 
nmay51 Nancy, my headache is gone. It has been replaced by deepest heartache. I just learned that a dear old friend of 30 plus yrs. committed suicide in his home with a gun. My heart hurts for his wife and 3 children. I know this isn't a BS thing but please say a prayer for them. Have to go. Funeral is tomorrow. Thanks Nancy.
 
sandpiper,
I'm glad the headaches are gone, but I'm so very sorry for the loss of your friend. Death is never easy, but suicide is the ultimate cheat on those left behind. I will certainly pray for him and his family and you as well as you, my friend. I'm here is you want to vent... :console2:

Nancy
 
sandpiper, I am so sorry for the loss of your dear friend. None of us can know what he was going through that drove him to take such desperate measures. It is a reminder to cherish each other every day and to support each other. I know you will do what you can for those left behind. I will be thinking of you and your friends.
 
nmay51 and BeckyR. Thanks so much for your kind words. It's so very tragic. He became addicted to prescription pain medications following back surgery about 13 yrs. ago. He ended up addicted to heroin and was in rehab a few times. We all believed he had kicked it yrs. ago but apparently the old demons came back and he could no longer handle it. This is the kind of case you hear about....your typical, normal, successful all American guy...great family, beautiful wife, kids and a lovely home....good job... Just an all around good guy. He shot himself in his home on Sunday night. I have always had little sympathy for people who abuse illegal drugs, until it happened to my friend. If it could happen to him, it could happen to anyone. Do very tragic for the children! Funeral is tomorrow so I better try and get some sleep ( not too likely). Thanks for letting me vent. Thanks for your sympathy. :cry: .
 
Sandpiper, I am so sorry to hear of your loss of your friend. I think suicide is the worst way you can lose someone; I can only imagine what his wife and children are going through. I will pray for them, and for you.

Peace and love to you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom