TKR Sandi's knees, take 2

My right knee was 4 weeks old yesterday. There hasn't been much change this week. I did completely stop taking oxycodone a few days ago. I still take 50 mg tramadol and 1000 mg Tylenol every 6 hours. I am trying not to think about the fact that I was driving at 4 weeks last time (no comparing!) I do think I am walking around the house a little better, and I am doing small jobs around the house (helping with dinner, straightening up, etc.), not really a lot.

Our valley is so full of smoke from fires in Montana, Washington, British Columbia that we are under a hazardous air quality warning all week. I don't walk outside normallybecause we live in a very hilly area. I have to go somewhere else to walk, which is difficult not driving because my kids are at work all day now. It's probably just because I can't, but I want to go out and just walk the few feet in front of the house that is flat just to get out. With all the smoke right now, that wouldn't be smart. I hope it clears up soon. I think doing the stairs and a little bit of walking outside would be really good for my knee and cabin fever.
 
@sandi4213 Sorry to hear about the poor air quality--yes, it does us a world of good to be able to get outside. BUt good news re: stopping the oxy and improved walking etc. Change does seem so small at this point but I think it helps to keep an eye out for the positives (or so I tell myself).

Rainy weather here has me struggling with cabin fever--pacing around the house doesn't satisfy my need to be moving.
 
I too found myself wanting to do things when I knew I couldn't, such as going for a walk but it was raining. It was major cabin fever for me for first 6 weeks definitely, as I was only going out to go to PT twice a week, but wasn't driving myself. It does get better...... in time. Patience. :flwrysmile:
 
We are also very smoky here in CO the past few days. Scratchy throat and itchy, runny eyes today. Feel bad for those who are even closer. Hopefully you'll be able to get outside soon.
 
@kmak81230 The stinging eyes have been the worst! Even inside! They say we may get some relief this weekend as the winds are changing direction.

I went to PT yesterday. I am only going once a week because of ride restrictions and the fact that my insurance will only pay for 4 more appointments this year. I'm okay with that. Anyway, yesterday he put me on the recumbent bike, moving the seat back 2 places from where I was at with the last knee. I was able to make full revolutions, even though it was very slow and I had to push my knee over the top (not really painful, just work). I had set my recumbent bike at home one setting back and couldn't go around, so this morning I moved it one more place back and I can do complete revolutions! Really slow, and I only did 3 minutes, but I am so excited to be able to do it. Riding the bike was my favorite exercise after my last tkr. It was easier then, but I feel like I am finally on my way.

My pt was worried about my extension, which I don't think is that bad. They were really worried about it last time, too. Must be from their training. I told him that I wasn't worried about it because last time it was a lot worse and within a couple of months after stopping pt (maybe 1 month) it was straight and I am expecting the same thing this time. I told him I wanted to work on my flexion, as that is harder this time. He said without extension, I couldn't get flexion. I just smiled at him and we did some stretches for flexion. :heehee:
 
sounds like you're doing great, especially being able to ride the recumbent bike. good for you telling your p.t. what you wanted to work on first.:flwrysmile:
 
Having gone through recovery before, you know how your flexion and extension will improve, which makes it so much easier to just smile benignly at earnest but mistaken therapists. :heehee: I also have seen improvement long after leaving PT far behind. It comes naturally with getting back to normal living and movement.
 
Oh @sandi4213, do I detect a trend here with *stagers*? I think I do! You guyz have it ruff! Seriously, you truly do. How can you not compare? I'd think it very odd if you didn't. There's just one problem with it though... it doesn't help; pffft! I think it's best to think of each knee as "apple," and "orange." They'll both get where they need to be, but they'll most likely follow a different course. They are not the same, just as they weren't in the same condition going in for surgery. Come to think of it, neither were any of you, right? No, you were not. You were all still in the throes of recovery numero uno and still are to one degree or another. That just has to be unbelievably exhausting. And cranky-making. And frustrating.

I'm truly sorry to hear you have a concrete knee this time around, but if you'd like a "Slow-Bender" T-Shirt, I know we have many more available, hah! That said, if you are managing full bike revolutions already (yes, I said *already*) you probably won't be in the club long enough to really hang out with any of us, lol. Regardless, feel free to drop-in on any particularly non-bendy day, eh? FWIW, I found massaging that tight band area very helpful.

Egads, it must be awful breathing in all that smoke from the wildfires out west! I hated that Cabin Fever sensation the first five weeks. For me, it really lasted until I could drive again, so it was a great incentive to get off the Rx pain meds. Congratulations on being able to do the same yourself! I hope the wind changes direction tomorrow and you'll be able to get outside just for a short walk. It really does us all a world of good, ya know?
 
I am looking forward to a full revolution on the bike. Therapist says it is coming soon. It is such a huge accomplishment. Congratulations.
 
@Pheebs52 I think I might make it to enough meetings this time to enjoy the t-shirt :)
I am very much looking forward to driving again, but I knew it would be a bit longer this time since it is my right knee. Somebody on here said that they just sat in the car and practiced pushing the pedals when they did the right knee. I may try that next week.
 
5 week update. My knee doesn't feel like it is bending very far, I think I am at about 95 degrees. There is a spot right above my knee that continuously swells and impedes a lot of what I want to do. The swelling is much better everywhere else.

I am peddling my bike 5 minutes twice a day now and I noticed today that it is a bit easier. That was encouraging. Today I went out front (down 2 sets of steps) and walked to the end of our little street and back (not far, 2 houses) but it is the only flat spot in the neighborhood. It was nice to be outside. When I came back up the steps, I was able to go step over step, using my cane and the railing.

I am also doing a few household chores each day now. It is good to do something besides resting, although I still do plenty of that.
 
excellent report and i think 95 degrees is fantastic for 5 weeks post op. you're gradually increasing your walking and activity around the house; it feels good to be useful again doesn't it? maybe the increase in activity is causing that pain above your knee that swells. hope it settles down. i think you're doing great.:flwrysmile:
 
Oh sandi4213, I just had to laugh when I read you didn't feel as if your knee was bending much, *only* at about 95 degrees! You are just 5 weeks out, GF, so that's fantastic! And, if you are pedaling your bike my guess is your flexion is more than 95 degrees, at least according to my PT. :SUNsmile:

Congratulations on your ability with the stairs as well! Woot! That's a HUGE milestone, so pat yourself on the back! :egypdance:I'm really glad you were able to get outdoors and walk a bit. I imagine that means your air quality is much better than it has been from the fires all over the West? If so, phew!

Now your challenge will become avoiding the ODIC, lol. Please, don't go in there, it's much too expensive; hah!
 
@Pheebs52 Yes, the air has cleared considerably. The wind changed directions and blew out most of the smoke.

I am going to PT today so we will see what my rom is. I am sitting way.....back on the bike, but it is nice that I can see some improvement. And YES! I am so happy about the stairs no matter how slowly I am going. I think I missed foot over foot on the stairs most of all after my 2nd knee was done. I hadn't been able to do that for at least 20 years, so it was a definite milestone. I will be ecstatic when I can go down that way, but that will be a while. I need to get rid of the rest of this swelling first.

Too late on the ODIC warning. Monday I did laundry (in the basement) and I went up and down those stairs dragging a laundry basket way too many times. I was lucky in that I only had to stay in the club that afternoon and evening. I learned another lesson.
 
@gertie I figured the steps are good pt, but I think my limit is 2 loads a day, maybe every 3 or 4 days. Just gotta find the right balance. :good-bad:
 
Went to PT today. I asked my pt about the swollen "sausage" just above my knee and he said it was the hard to get rid of swelling, unlike the "dimply" kind. He suggested lots of massage and said I could try wrapping it, that might help. I really think that without that swelling I would be feeling much better about this knee. That spot is where it pulls when I am on the bike, it hurts and is really heavy and stiff when I walk, ugh!

On the positive side, he thinks I am doing well. My flexion is 100. That wss good. He also measured my 1st knee for the first time since April. It is 132! That was a nice surprise. He was really happy with it.
 
Great report Sandi!!! Your ROM is awesome! Hope the swelling goes down soon. I have a thick, hard lump above my knee that is so annoying. You are doing awesome in recovery.
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Back
Top Bottom