TKR Sandi's knees, take 2

Wow, @sandi4213, your ROM is just amazing! Just think about this for a sec; I only reached 105 yesterday at a few days shy of 4 months! You know where this puts you right? Yep, you're going right in the TKR Rock Star suite! You'll be in great company there, so don't fret, hahahaha! But, you will have to return the Slow Benders t-Shirt. I'm sorry, but rules are rules and you just don't qualify.

I still have a bit of stubborn, hard to get rid of visible swelling just above the knee. I'm sure the inside matches; pfft! That said, I'm told it's our favorite word, "normal," for this point in time.

Egads, what are ya doing lugging laundry baskets up and downstairs? I'm cringing! Gary Glitter would give you a stern lecture....very stern. If no one is available to lug, then just toss the dirty clothes down the stairs without the basket. Go down, do a load (just one) and let someone else lug it all back upstairs. You can do this. It's an *entitlement* while you are recovering!
 
@Pheebs52 I actually have worked out a way to do laundry (I am limiting myself to 1 load per day). I go down 2 or 3 stairs and then grab the basket and bounce it down a step. I then go down a couple more and drag or bounce it a couple. It works really well, and I don't carry it on the steps at all. Going back up, I put the basket on the 3rd step, balance myself with the basket instead of the rail, and go up 2 steps, then repeat. I was doing this before surgery because I had a lot of trouble with steps. My big mistake the first time was trying to do too many loads in one day. I did 1 load yesterday, no problem at all.

Fine, you can have the t-shirt back, but I want a "continuous swelling" one. The swelling above my knee, which pt says just takes a lot of time to get rid of, is really interfering with recovery. :banghead: He also assures me it is normal (whatever that is, right?) and will eventually go away. Seriously, I do feel like I am improving this week. I can walk and stand longer than I could last week. I do ice at least an hour about 4 times a day, so I am getting plenty of rest. So, tell Gary that I am being good.
:angel:
 
I'll speak to @Thesoutherncook, Helen, about making badges for "Continuous Swelling." Since it's such a common dilemma, a badge might be appropriate. T-Shirts would just be too costly for so many who need them, ya know? However, there probably should be some guidelines, such as "Still swollen at 12 weeks," or 'Still swollen at 4, 5, or 6, 7-12 months." Does that seem reasonable to you? I'm not sure if 6 weeks would qualify, but we can let others weigh in with their opinions, lol.

Hmmm, well...that sounds like an...interesting (?) way to handle the laundry basket? I'm not so sure I would like to rely on it in lieu of a railing when coming back up the stairs though? No, I wouldn't like that, but then, I'm a committed chicken with a very strong fear of falling. <---Squawking!

Gary gave me an interesting little exercise yesterday to help push that stubborn swelling out of the way. I'd like to share it with you, but I'm not certain if I'm allowed to actually provide this sort of advice. I'll PM you and give you my e-mail address so I can clue you in.
 
Sandi you are doing fantastic! Great ROM for your surgery dates. My right knee is still a laggard as far as ROM and I am at 4+ months now. However, I really haven't had a lot of difficulty driving. When my OS said I could drive at 6 weeks I was over the moon. It just gave me such a sense of independence even though most days I didn't have enough energy to go anywhere lol! Now my granddaughter who had my car while I couldn't drive was not nearly as elated as I was hahaha!
 
I started driving yesterday! A couple of days ago, I went out to my car and just sat in it moving my right foot from the gas to the brake pedals. It felt fine, no pain. So, yesterday I asked my daughter to go for a short drive with me to try it out. It felt so good that I ended up driving to the next town (ours is so small, there is literally nothing here) for lunch. It's about 10 miles each way. No problem, in fact sitting at lunch was harder than driving since I had trouble finding a comfortable position, but not bad. I drove home and then iced, elevated, and took a nap.

Today, I drove my granddaughter to work, same distance. No problem at all. I am so happy! :dancy::spin::happydance::yay:
 
Thanks everyone. I am very happy to be driving again. I found out today that my SIL isn't able to take me to my doctor's appointment on Wednesday because 2 of his kids have appointments in a different town at the same time. The drive will be about 45 - 50 minutes each way, so I hope the knee is up to it. I plan to take my ice wrap to help. I don't want to get to the os office all swollen :)
 
Allow yourself plenty of time for the drive, so you don't feel pressured.
 
@sandi4213 Great idea to take the ice wrap. I wonder if it would help to get there a few minutes early so you can walk around and loosen up before you see him?
 
I totally agree, I don't know how those with small children survive! We kept our 9 year old granddaughter last week, and after the early morning breakfast, packing lunches, fixing hair, then going to office, not the mention all of their extracurricular activities, then dinner and homework and baths; whew... I'm tired just typing it!! I was so exhausted by the end of the week I could barely go. I have such admiration for @Jennszoo and others who have small children and deal with this recovery.
 
Good luck with the drive on Wed Sandi. I agree with Gertie - see if you can get there early to walk out the stiffness - or perhaps you can even find a place to elevate a bit. Great idea to bring the ice wrap.
 
6 weeks!
Yesterday I had a really achy day and spent a lot of time icing and elevating. I did make a trip to the bank and gas station and did some laundry in the morning, but was pretty much down all afternoon and evening. I blamed the achiness on the low pressure front that moved in with rain. Who knows?

Today I woke up with my knee feeling much better, although I also woke up a bit congested (also blaming that on the weather). I did a few stretches and then got on my recumbent bike. It was actually a lot easier than a couple of days ago. I did 10 minutes and 2 miles. That is twice what I was doing. It feels so good to see tangible improvement. I have pt later today, so we'll see how I do there.
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Back
Top Bottom