TKR Sandi's knees, take 2

Hi @gertie , thanks for asking. I know I haven't posted in a while. Things are going okay. I am doing more real life activities, shopping, cooking, etc. I think that my shiny box of patience must be defective because I don't have much (or maybe it's me?). I am trying to be smart and spread out activity, elevating and icing between.

I have more swelling and stiffness with this 2nd knee and it has been hard for me to adjust. I didn't realize how blessed I was with my first recovery until now :shrug:. Anyway, no big changes to report. I ran out of insurance for pt and my doctor discharged me, so now I am just moving forward (hopefully). I am so ready to stop thinking about my knees all the time.
 
@sandi4213, great to see you! I've missed you! If your shiny, red box of patience is defective, you can return it for a full refund or we can exchange it. These things happen, eh? Needless to say, there's a large stockpile in my garage.:snork:

It must be difficult to follow a relatively easy tkr with a more difficult one; bah! However, you are only about 8 weeks post-op, so perhaps you are expecting too much too son? Just a thought, don't throw things at me, ok? But seriously, last night was the first time I didn't kneed ice since May! I am one week shy of 5 months....see where I'm going with this? Yeah, you do.:heehee:
 
Oh, I know I am impatient @Pheebs52 . It is difficult to have this tightness and swelling after not having much at all the first time. I do think the problem with the box of patience is user error, so I will not be asking for a refund. At least the box is pretty. :heehee:

Really, there are a lot of things I can do. I usually ride my bike 4 miles in 15 minutes most days, I do the basement stairs (steep, and often with a laundry basket) a couple of times a day and sometimes 4 or 5 times. Most of them foot over foot. I do go down backwards when I have a full laundry basket - so much easier. I can drive most anywhere I need to. I can cook a complete dinner for 7 or 8 without limping to the couch most of the time. But...I do swell a lot and I get sore and yada yada. :bawl:

I am supposed to go back to substitute teaching the last week of October and I don't know if I will be ready. The school is just desperate for subs, so I need to be. :angel:
 
I can cook a complete dinner for 7 or 8 without limping to the couch
I do the basement stairs (steep, and often with a laundry basket) a couple of times a day and sometimes 4 or 5 times.
Wow! Those are impressive accomplishments for a little over 2 months out. I'm still wary of stairs and don't need to tackle anything other than the front steps into my house. Basement stairs? Steep and terrifying.
 
I am supposed to go back to substitute teaching the last week of October and I don't know if I will be ready. The school is just desperate for subs, so I need to be. :angel:
We recommend taking about 12 weeks off work after a knee replacement and then a Phased return to work.
With teaching, you may even need to take a little longer than that.

Right now, your principle purpose should be to help your knee, by taking all the time it needs to recover. Please don't allow the school's needs to jeopardise your knee's recovery by going back too soon. You will do a better job once your knee is ready.
 
@sandi4213, too many stairs, foot-over-foot, will still make me swell. Stairs a real workout, but backwards much less so. Walking and the bike no longer make me swell, (phew) , but there's a very fine line on the stairs for me. 4 trips is basically my limit, but I will grant we are all different. You've just made me realize I've no idea how far I go on my bike, but I'm going to guess I go slower than you. I just do it to stretch.....gently. Most days, I just do 5 minutes in the morning and five minutes late day. I agree with @gertie, you are doing a lot for just 8 weeks post-op, and that's great, unless you swell and get stiff.

Perhaps if you cut back a bit on the stairs and gave that knee more boring rest and ice, you might be better ready to return to work at month's end? Just a thought!
 
@Celle My knee will actually be 12 weeks on October 31, which is when I am supposed to start back. Also, I usually don't work more than 2 - 3 days a week. If I am still swollen and stiff at that point, I will delay.

@gertie I really don't have much choice with the stairs, the laundry room is down there. I do go down backwards if I have a full basket or if I am stiff that day. I don't usually have any problem going up.

@Pheebs52 riding the bike is my favorite exercise. It's about the only thing that doesn't seem to make me swell, and stretches me out nicely. Of course it is set at no resistance. I actually am trying to make myself elevate and ice regularly. This has been an especially busy week, so I have declared tomorrow a rest day!
 
11 weeks (tomorrow) for right knee. Sorry I have been so scarce lately. Life just keeps intruding, and I think I am trying to not be so kneecentric. Anyway, I thought it was time for an update. Things are still up and down, but I have seen a lot of improvement this last week. Most days the bike is pretty easy, although I had one day last week when it hurt to ride at all, so I didn't. I can shop a little longer, clean a little more, walk a little further.

Yesterday I was able to stand through all of the songs at church (woohoo!). I reorganized my bedroom closet one day and a couple of kitchen pantry cupboards another day. My knees have been doing well through it all. Sometimes I will still get swelling, but not several times a day anymore.

Today I went to my daughter's 1st grade classroom and worked for 3 1/2 hours. It went really well, knees were great, but I was exhausted when I left! While I was there, the sub coordinator gave me my first assignment. I am subbing in my daughter's class a week from Thursday. That means I have a week and a half to gain some stamina. I'm excited to get back to work, but worried about having enough energy. Maybe I need more vitamins.
 
@saandi4213, what a wonderful report! You are progressing very nicely and seeing some really great improvements! Congratulations on all those clean cupboards and closets, along with subbing for 3.5 hours! I can certainly see how that would make you tired though. It seems as if everyone here that has returned to work at around the 12 week mark says much the same....exhausting! Remember, that blasted Energy Drain is still a very real factor and other than sleeping more and just taking it easy, there isn't much that can be done. I suppose vitamins can't hurt, but I doubt they will restore your energy.

Will you be working whole days or half days? Every day or few days a week? Hopefully, you can ease your way back in slowly with your new schedule.:SUNsmile:
 
Your report makes me cheer! Yay! :yay: Isn't it wonderful to be active again and doing things you love?

The Energy Drain is sneaky at our stage. Happens to me, too. Days will go by where the energy is high and it seems the sky's the limit. Next thing you know, an outing, or a project, saps my strength and I have to drop into the nearest sofa to nest for the rest of the day. But it's so much better I can hardly complain.

There's not much you can do to build stamina overnight, but you could conserve what you have. Keep moderately active but don't do anything that will need a lot of energy. Chill. You might end up exhausted on Thursday, but maybe you can go into Thursday full of pep. :happydance:
 
@Pheebs52 usually my jobs are for a full day. Occasionally there will be a half day available. I don't normally work more than 2 or 3 days a week, but it is very erratic - some weeks not at all and some 4 days. Sometimes I know a week or 2 ahead and sometimes I get a call at 5:30 am. Ah, the life of a sub!

@SusieShoes I am always working on the balance between activity and rest. Wouldn't it be nice if there was just a formula we could all follow? Sometimes it is easy to see why I am exhausted and sometimes I have no idea why. Then there are the times I should be exhausted and am not. :what:
 
My energy drain lingered for months. I think it was at about 9 months post-op that I stopped feeling as if I was "running on empty" by 5 p.m.
 
The hardest part of the energy drain is explaining it to other people. If they haven't experienced it, they just don't understand how you can apparently be doing so well and then just run out of gas.
 
Congrats on your progress and getting through a half day at school, I hope you will be able to ease back in with some rest days scattered throughout the week. You nailed it with regards to people not getting the energy drain. I was helping with yard work and putting summer things away for the winter and Boom! I had to go in and take an elevation break when I was fine a few minutes earlier. Hopefully with each week you will get stronger and have longer bits of energy.
 
Just chiming in with a Yes! on the energy drain. I mostly decline evening invitations because I KNOW how sleepy/exhausted I'll be--has to be something really special to get me out in the evening and I'll want afternoon time to rest beforehand. Especially true now I'm back to work.
 
Since I woke up @12:30 am and can't go back to sleep, I thought this might be a good time for an update. My latest knee is 12 weeks old today. I have been much more active the last couple of weeks. Yesterday (Halloween) I volunteered in my daughter's class to help get ready for and run the Halloween party. After, I came home, cooked some chili for dinner, elevated and iced while it was simmering, and ate. Next, I followed the grandkids in the car while they trick or treated, then loaded them up and off to a local carnival. Needless to say, I was exhausted when I got home. Probably why I am not sleeping now.

I do feel like my stamina is improving, as well as my flexion and extension. I have noticed a marked improvement when I get out of bed, as well as my ability to stand longer. Stairs are getting a bit easier as well.

Tomorrow is my first dentist appointment since surgery. I am having a cleaning as well as a repair on a back tooth that seems to have a chip. My os did prescribe antibiotics, which I will take. He wants me to take them before appointments for a year. I am glad he is not one of those "forever" doctor's. I don't like taking extra antibiotics.

Thursday will be my first official day back subbing at the school. I am excited and worried. I will be with my daughter's 1st grade while she is at a meeting and there is not much sitting time with that age. I expect to be exhausted. :sleeep: It will be nice to be working again, though. This is the only day I have scheduled so far, so we'll see how multiple days go when that happens.

I hope all my bonesmarties are doing well. We are apparently about to start winter here in North Idaho. Snow is forecast for tonight through Saturday with a possible total of 6 - 10 inches. Brrr...:snow dig:
 
I’m glad you are coming along well. I hope all goes well in the classroom tomorrow.

How is your left knee feeling at this point? Mine was done one week before yours. (Originally scheduled the 20th but a spot opened up on the 13th and they offered it to me and I took it!)
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom