Guest viewing is limited

TKR Sandi's knees, take 2

Vacation is going well. We have done a lot of driving....6 1/2 hours Thurs, 6 1/2 hours Friday, 8 hours Saturday, 4 hours Sunday (all not counting breaks). We are at my son's house in AZ now. Yesterday was a very lazy rest day. I went in the pool for the first time in a year and it was really nice. The knees have been really good this trip.

I have had trouble with my feet and ankles swelling the last couple of days, I assume from too much sitting. We stop every couple of hours, traveling with 6 girl's aged 6 to 17 requires that, but it was still a lot of sitting. We will spend a couple more days here which should help, then head to northern .CA for a few days before heading home.
 
Yikes, that's a lot of driving. Hope you can put your feet up at night.
 
I'm back from vacation and working on getting everything ready for surgery 1 week from today. We did way too much driving and my ankles and feet swelled every day the last week, but the swelling went down every night. My TKR swelled very little, though. This morning I was surprised to find I could get through my exercises even though I've not done them for 12 days. I did a lot of walking those days, though. I was even able to do the whole 20 minutes on my recumbent bike. :yahoo:

I finally decided on a new name for my thread...drumroll...."Sandi's knees, take 2" Will one of the admins @sistersinhim, @Celle please change it for me? Thank you!
 
Walking is the best exercise you can do and you found out you didn't lose a thing by not doing them and more than likely gained ROM! Good going!!
 
Thank you @Celle . I know walking is good for me @sistersinhim and I don't do it enough because my foot is still hurting, even after getting my great Vionics sandals. I'm going to wait till my knees are done and may need to see a podiatrist. I think that without that pain, I would be doing (and walking) so much better. I wish my foot was doing as well as my knee
 
Boy, can I relate to that, Sandi! My foot is still my hold back, too. It's a pain, isn't it? How's frustrating. What is the problem with your feet?
 
Sandi, wow, so much driving and yet, the knee behaved! Congratulations! When is your date for "Take 2?" Hmmm, isn't that the name of a Dave Brubeck song? It is, right? What a great title for your new knee adventure!
 
@sistersinhim I really don't know. It started hurting off and on a few years ago. I thought it was because I was walking so crooked because of my crooked knee. That probably is what started it, but it's not going away, and the pain is getting sharper. Thankfully it doesn't hurt all the time, but it makes a lot of walking difficult.
 
So glad to hear your knee is behaving after all that fun activity, and the driving and all. Even if it gets cranky on occasion when asked to do more, chances are it will hold up well. You've put it through a test and it aced it. I suppose with your surgery in less than a week there's no time for a podiatrist, but do you think it would help to see one before surgery? Just to find out what's going on with your foot? I guess I'd want to know! And I concur... great title for your thread!
 
@sandi4213, both of my feet went out about 10 years ago. Every step was extremely painful. I went to a podiatrist and he wrapped my feet in the correct position, which I had to wear for two week. The difference was remarkable! He suggested staple rocker shoes, which I have been wearing about 90% of the time. I assume with both of my knees being bad, so was my walking. He also suggested that I freeze a 16 oz. soft drink bottle of water and when frozen run the bottom of the foot over it, while it's on the floor, as long as I could stand it. That helped, also. I hope you can find relief. When your feet hurt, it effects you all over.
 
@SusieShoes I don't think there is time to see a podiatrist before surgery, but I will have to check it out as soon as I can after.

@sistersinhim It's really not fair to go through all of this with our knees just to have painful feet, is it? I hope you are taking good care of your foot so those broken bones can finally heal.
 
Thank you so much, Sandi. I've cut my walking by at least 50% and it's really helping. Plus the ankle brace and broken foot shoe. Now, to get you foot in better shape. Do you have rocker bottom shoes? They helped me quite a bit.
 
I also find rocker bottoms helpful. I have a pair of Clark's Wave that are my favorite for a "whole shoe,"....not a sandal. My feet are problematic and have been for quite a few years, from a bunion, to an arthritic big toes and two Morton's Neuromas on the same foot. Needless to say, the feet hurt every night; pffft! The altered gait after TKR hasn't helped matters either, but perhaps, eventually, it will? Here's hoping!
 
@Pheebs52 I will have to check out the Clarks. I have a serious bunion on my right foot, a hammer toe, the second one on the same foot, a small bunion on my left, and then this annoying pain on the left. I would love to love shoe shopping, but I hate it. It is just so hard to find "whole shoes" that accommodate all of my problems.

@sistersinhim what brand of rocker shoes do you recommend? Even though my feet are not wide, I need a wide toe box to accommodate my bunoon.
 
Sandi, I also have similar problems finding shoes that will accommodate my needs AND wishes.
About 20 years ago I resignated and started shopping at places that sold shoes for " old ladies." (Wide sizes) Now I am one, and feel better about it. Problem is that they were always so much more expensive. It's better now that (we) the baby boomer generation, is a wider public/market.
 
Sandi, I like RYN rockers. They are stable, and don't rock side to side just heal to toe. I started out with MBTs, but they are unstable rockers that do rocker side to side plus the heal to toe. I have found that rockers normally do have ample toe room. Amazon carries a pretty good supply of them that are reasonably priced.
 
Sandi, there are only 3, non-rockers I can wear with success, as follows: Keen's Hiking Shoes, Hoka One-One Gaviota, and Soft Spots. All have a wide toe-box, are cushy but supportive, and I think you'd like them. The Hokas are a running shoe, and the Soft Spots have many styles. All can be found on Zappos or Amazon.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom