TKR Sandi's knees, take 2

I LOVE it. They are so precious! What a miracle to watch from eggs to little creatures. I love to watch birds raising their young. I have 5 bird houses. Most of the birds are bluebird parents and babies. Since I can't walk a lot, I don't know what are in the houses now. I have had a tufted titmouse family, chickadees, and even flying squirrel babies!

I started intense bird watching when I had my first kneecap removed in the early 90s. I've loved it ever since. Just wanting to see the babies in the houses inspires you to get out and walk to them! Good therapy mentally, emotionally, and of course, physically!
 
I don't know anything about birds @sistersinhim but I always thought it would be great to know what I'm looking at. These chicks are very friendly and cuddly. My daughter and I decided that they got used to our voices because we talked to them all the time while they were incubating:) They always react as soon as they hear our voices.
 
Caring for God's creatures is a fine way to rehabilitate!
 
@sandi4213, I just got caught up with your thread. My goodness you have it going on, from amusement parks to shoes to baby chicks! So happy the knee did great for the park! That's amazing.

I ordered Vionic flip flops after @KarriB talked about them. I really like them because they have great arch support. I slip them on when getting out of bed or out of the recliner instead of walking barefoot or in just socks. I've been bothered with plantar fasciitis in the past and going barefoot will stir it up again, oh no!! Look at Abeo brand sandals and shoes online. I ordered several pair of those as well. I think I've got 4 new pair of summer shoes/ sandals now since surgery!

My daughter and her husband have chickens and hence they have fresh eggs. Her husband built a chick mansion I call it. It's quite the sight to see! Have a great July 4th!
 
I'm glad the Vionics are helping @becticu . I went through 6 weeks of PT for the PF and I highly recommend the stretches. Pulling the toes back with a towel or sheet on a straight leg, hold for 30, pulling toes with a bent leg (I know ) hold for 30 and a straight flat leg pulling back on toes with hand hold for 30. In the beginning I did these 3x a day, now just once. You can do them with the good leg/foot also to be sure it doesn't get lazy. Rolling me with an ice bottle helped when I was in pain, but the stretches help to keep the PF at bay.

My doc was pretty sure the PF came from amount of time my leg/foot was up and elevated causing the fascia to shorten. I had no foot problems until my TKR. So I'm pretty sure he is right. :shrug:
 
@KarriB, I'm sure you are right about the PF. I had it severe back a number of years ago and got orthotics and wore a device to bed. I do need to do the stretches I learned. I just feel slight pain there but need to nip it now!
 
We all (8 of us) went to my SIL's cousin's house on a lake by Spokane yesterday. My knee was so good! The drive was about 1 1/2 hours each way, and I must have walked up and down 2 flights of stairs at least 6 times. The only downside was that I didn't make it to the beach because the access was a very steep, very slick downhill. I (wisely, I think) stayed on the top of the hill and the deck. I can honestly say that there was not a single complaint from my knee all day. My old right knee is a bit crotchety today, but my left one is great.

Tomorrow I leave for "girl's weekend" with my daughter and niece. I hope all goes as well. We will start with a 2 hour drive to the airport, then a 2+ hour flight, then a 1 1/2 hour drive to our first hotel. The next day, we will drive a couple of hours to our destination. We'll spend 2 nights there and then back to the airport. All the traveling will be worth it because we are going to the ocean, my favorite place :loveshwr:
 
That's great Sandi! Sounds like you are well on your way. I'm still getting a lot of swelling and and tightness no matter what I do :sorry:
 
I'm sorry @flyaway79 That you are still swelling a lot. I also know it will get better. Keep doing what you are doing. After the first few weeks, I haven't had too much swelling. I am afraid that my next knee will make up for that :shrug:
 
It's frustrating for sure. My ROM is great, no complaints there. I just get that awful squishy and tight feeling whenever I walk.

Haven't been to PT in over 2 months and I'm not overdoing it and just trying to let her heal. Hopefully soon she will start appreciating all I do for her and start cooperating.

:angel::fingersx:​
 
sounds like you are doing great with your new knee, even with all the driving and going up and down the stairs. i am intrigued (okay i'm nosey) ~ where are you going for your "girls weekend"? my friend and i usually go to either niagara-on-the-lake for the shaw festival or stratford, ontario for the stratford festival for a weekend every summer and we take a girls' caribbean vacation in the winter (not every year though) and the hubbies stay home with the dogs. have a super time and try not to overdo it. can hardly wait to hear all about your adventure.
 
ahhhhh that sounds like a wonderful adventure @sandi4213 ~ i've only been to san francisco and saw some of the coast but would love to do the drive someday. enjoy!
 
What a text for your less than 4 month old new knee. And it passed with flying colors!

Check in with us during trip, if you can, and let us know how you're doing!
 
It's so heartening to read how well you're doing. Long travel, lots of stairs, no pain... it's what we all are aiming to achieve. I look forward to the day. Hope you have a wonderful trip, a safe trip, and enjoy every minute of your time with your loved ones!
 
Is there room in your suitcase for a stowaway? I won't make a sound; promise!
 
Had such a good time this weekend, and my new knee was a trooper! Our trip out consisted of a 2 hour drive to the airport, a 2 hour flight and then a 1 1/2 hour drive to our first stop. We were tired, but the knee was fine. The next day we drove the rest of the way to Mendocino, about 2 hours. The beach was beautiful and the town was just lovely. Saturday was the challenge day for my knees. We drove to glass beach and walked over some very uneven terrain to just above the water. I couldn't believe how stable my new knee was. I would never have attempted the walk with my old one! I'm going to try to post a picture to give you an idea.

After, we walked through town and went into several cute shops and then decided to stop at a lighthouse (I can't remember the name) on the way back. There was a 1/2 mile walk to the lighthouse and then 1/2 mile back on a pretty good incline. I didn't think my feet were ever going to forgive me, but the knees weren't bad at all. My daughter and niece were both so proud, and kind of amazed that I could do it. It is so nice to not be left out, waiting for everyone to get back for a change.

The other picture is me, my daughter, and my niece.
[Bonesmart.org] Sandi's knees, take 2
[Bonesmart.org] Sandi's knees, take 2
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom