TKR Sandi's knees, take 2

@sandi4213 I'm not sure you want to tackle the whole car at one time at this point in recovery. But there's hope for standing. I just wish I had begun walking earlier because I've noticed such a difference since beginning. Now that temps are so much warmer I'm not sure I can do it in the heat. I'll be swimming instead on these super hot days.
 
We have made 3mths it's just crazy to think where we were this time 3mths ago!!! Actually don't want to think about it. Thank you for being my calming friend xx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@zakmick sorry I've been off for a few days. Really under the weather. I think sinus trouble, but I have had terrible vertigo the last couple of days. Still a bit dizzy, but much better today. I am grateful that you have been here for this journey, too. I can't imagine doing this alone.
 
@sandi4213 Have you tried the Epley Maneuver for vertigo? If not look it up on the internet. It really helped my husband when he had a bad case of vertigo. It's awful :-(
 
I have never heard of it, but I just looked it up. I will be trying this. I think I'll wait until my daughter gets home to help. Thanks @flyaway79 I've never dealt with this before and it is not funcommon. :no-fin:
 
Yes definitely have your daughter help you. It really does being great relief. You may feel worse for a few seconds as you sit up and the crystals reposition themselves. But eventually it does work. My husband learned this from a physician.
 
Did you try the Epley manoeuvre? A friend at works suffered from this too... how're you feeling now??


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I did try the Epley maneuver. The next day I was very dizzy and ended up going to the doctor. He said that I needed to do it again, but stay upright (sleeping on the recliner again but not even reclined) for 48 hours. I didn't sleep well, but in the end it was gone. I am feeling good now, but after a week of not moving much my knee has been kind of stiff the last couple of days. It does not like to lay around. :no-fin:

It is really good to get back to normal again, though. Thanks for checking on me @zakmick and thank you for the suggestion @flyaway79
 
Glad to hear that! We sure don't need more than our knees to deal with at this point!

How's the knee doing now? I've been around and about more and I sure can tell sometimes. I've been wearing my Fitbit to track my steps and I found the last couple days I was way higher than the other days and yup sure enough lots of swelling last night. I've also been riding my stationary bike so that is added into my steps count.

The "chunky leg" feeling or the feeling that my new knee is not quite yet part of my body feeling has been getting more pronounced lately. Wonder if this is an actual stage others go though???
 
@flyaway79 before the vertigo, I was thinking that my knee felt almost natural. I hadn't taken even Tylenol for days, riding my recumbent bike was getting easier every day, and extending my leg out on the ottoman didn't really stretch anymore. I was really happy.

This week, I am trying to build up my strength again, the muscles on the bottom of my knee and top of my calf are tight again, I am working my way back to the level I was doing on the bike,and I have been aching again. Boy, it doesn't take much to go backwards. I do feel that I am getting back, though.
 
Hi fellow Marchies. I was the 22nd for my left. I felt like @flyaway79 and my knee wasn't part of me. It felt like it was just doing its own thing when I walked and it bent. That went away when I had my right knee done two weeks ago. Lefty just took over and started acting like she was part of me. I've had no stiffness at all out of her until a couple of days ago when that huge weather front started coming through. She let me know she felt it. I also must have run into something because I have a big bruise on the front of it.

@sandi4213 i have tried the Epley maneuver before with good success. Hoping you feel better soon.
 
Thank you @becticu . I am feeling better. I do have a little dizziness when I first wake up, I don't know if that is normal or not, but it goes away pretty quickly.

My knee really pays attention to those weather changes, too. Since my old knees have done that for years, it doesn't bother me too much. My right knee isn't going to be done until Aug 8 and I think my left will be able to take over pretty well. My one concern about that is that the left has been the worst one all my life, and I don't know if my brain will adjust to it being the strong one. I am trying to make myself use it more as the stronger knee now to start getting used to it.
 
I think it'll come natural to go to your stronger knee. You'll be more than ready by August!
 
Sistersinhim is correct, it just comes natural. I never had to even stop and think about which knee was going to hold me up. When your right gets fixed the left just takes over naturally. You will be amazed!
 
You will do fine Sandi! I'm probably not going to have my other on done until next year sometime.
 
I would write "until next sometime" or even until " I can't anymore". Maybe it's too fresh this recuperation, but I will stave off next for as long as possible. Last night it acted up something bad. Sheesh.
 
Long day yesterday. I went to Silverwood theme park with my daughter's family (8 of us) and friends from Arizona who have been staying with us for a couple of weeks (6 of them). We had a great time, but I must have walked about a million steps! Okay, maybe I am exaggerating a little, but it was a lot of walking. My knees were troopers, I really didn't have any problems with them. My feet, however, are really giving me fits. They have been hurting with a lot of walking for a few years and I always figured it was because I walked so funky because of my knees. I sure hope once both knees are done and healed, the feet will settle down.

On the upside, I rode in the back seat for about 1 1/2 hours to get there, knees did great. Walked all over the park with that crowd, knees did great. Walked up and down several steps to a couple of rides, knees did great. Walked very quickly out of the park and across the big lot to the car because it started raining,knees did great. Back in the car, out to dinner, ride home, knees did great. Overall, my knees get a gold Star!
 
Wow! That was way more than my paultry trip to Costco! Good job! Maybe it's because you were having more fun LOL.
 
What a fabulous day Sandi would have been great getting involved and going on rides instead of being on the sidelines.
You get a gold [emoji294]️

And my feet have been hurting too these past couple of weeks. Some days worse than others.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom