TKR Sandi's knees, take 2

Wow! What a wonderful accomplishment! Your knees are fantastic!
 
Have you changed your shoes since the TKR? It helps to have new shoes without the old gait pattern worn in. I had a huge and painful foot problem after my TKR and I had never had any issues at all. My heel hurt so much I began staying home again because of the pain, even when on vacation. I was so frustrated because after going through a TKR I wanted to walk and have a life. My pain was at its worse one summer and I happened upon Vionic flip flops. They saved my heel! Once it got too cold to wear flip flops I bought their inserts for my other shoes. They have made a huge difference for me.
 
Wow, you have super knees! How wonderful to be able to go on such a trip with your loved ones and have such a good time. :yes!:
 
WTG on the theme park! When I inadvertently did all that walking in Chicago last week, my feet and ankles were complaining the loudest. Especially my non operated ankle. I really hope that means once the knee is fixed, the ankle will follow.
 
@zakmick I'm sorry your feet hurt too, but sometimes it's nice to know I am not alone. It really was nice being able to go on a few rides. I didn't go near any spinning rides because I was afraid of the vertigo returning :)
 
@KarriB yes, I got new sketchers tennies since the surgery. At first I thought the pain in my feet was better, and then I realized that it was the pain killers! I have heard of the Vionic flip flops, wasn't sure if they would help. I might try to find some now.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Sandi's knees, take 2
@sandi4213 I just got these Vionics from Zappos. I tried their flip flops but they didn't feel good with my knee. I felt like I needed a little more stability and didn't like the flipping part. I used to wear flip flops all the time until I got plantar fasciitis. These feel great and the straps are adjustable so you can tighten them as much as you need. I just got tired of wearing my tennis shoes all the time.
 
My heel even hurts to drive because it rests on the floor of the car. If I'm driving an hour or longer I wear my Vionic flip flops, even in the dead of winter, but I do have appropriate shoes with me.

At first my knees felt funny, but they do warn you to break them in slowly because of the rest of your body and how they realign things. After wearing them intermittently for a few days everything was fine. They even help my back pain so I make sure I've got them on when cooking or cleaning.
 
Thanks for the input. I don't have heel pain, it's on the outside of the middle of my foot. Looking online, it seems to be a problem with putting weight on the foot unevenly (who would of thunk?) I don't remember what it was called. I think I need to get some good inserts. Bonus - I also have a bunion that sticks out pretty far, so that limits my shoe choices a lot, too. I am not a fan of feet :gaah:
 
I'm sure it's related to the fact that you're doing more walking than pre-op and walking differently.
 
I feel, YA Sandi. My feet have always been a problem for me. I know I will need to get a new pair of running shoes bc I can already tell my ankles have been realigned. I really hope the new knees takes care of my bad ankle & foot problem.
 
Today I've noticed that I'm walking using more of my foot, like its flat on the floor when I'm standing and walking heel to toe. I can feel the ground underneath my whole foot and not just the heel and sides. So I agree that the foot on the ground unevenly is definitely the culprit. My feet today haven't hurt at all, and more grip of the entire foot I feel has given foundation for a stronger leg...my quad feel stronger. Hope this makes sense?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I have been working on taking longer, more even strides the last couple of days and I think it may be helping a little bit. I think that walking crooked for so many years is a hard habit to break.

Now for a topic that's more fun, we have been incubating chicken eggs for the last 3 weeks and they are hatching today. Out of the 7 eggs we have 6 are already out and the 7th is working on it. This is my first experience with hatching eggs and it is so cool! :wowspring::loveshwr::happydance::yay:
 
That's very cool! I love any kind of animals and to watch them being born is awesome!
 
That's fantastic Sandi, we have hatched eggs at school a few times the students love it.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm glad you see a difference. Walking with a painful limp can have all kinds of ramifications to our body.
 
Will you post a photo of the baby chicks?

Good job on concentrating on your improved strides. Old habits are so hard to break!
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom