Guest viewing is limited

TKR SadKnee Will Be Smiling Soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everything here is going albeit a bit slow on the recovery. Tomorrow I am going to an Aquatics class in my area sponsored by the Arthritis Foundation. I am hoping this helps increase my ROM. My PT was here today and keeps telling me to push through the pain to cut through the scar tissue. I told him I am only doing so much and did what I could with only discomfort but not pain. Trying to walk around my house without walker but I am so wobbly it is going to take a while. Very frustrating :). My boss was expecting me back mid April and at this rate it is not going to happen ... but this is my priority right now as I need to get this right and without distraction.
 
Good morning SadKnee an aquatics class sounds like a very good idea. I hope you will post and tell us about it once you have been tomorrow. I am interested in getting into the pool when I can.
You are very wise prioritising your recovery. Your physio seems to be a bit aggressive, I disagree with pushing through the pain as from what I have read on here it is counterproductive and will cause more swelling and irritation. I think you are quite right pushing to discomfort only. Be strong and follow the BS advice.
Hope you have a good day,
Hugs,
Toothfairy x :yes!: :friends: :flwrysmile:
 
When I left the hospital I was almost at 90 and now I am lucky to get 65/70. I am worried.​

When I first saw my Physio two weeks ago I was EXACTLY the same, she said not to worry as this often happens! I mentioned somewhere that she gave me two new exercises. One was sitting on a higher chair/bed and gently pushing one leg back with my other foot counting to 5 & releasing x 5 or more with each leg. The other was leaning against wall and sliding down until knees where bent as far as I felt comfy.

They have both REALLy increased my bend in just two weeks. Please don't try them unless advised ok & find a better description of them!!!

I reckon taking it gently & steadily will get you there probably faster than pushing and hurting! I've been amazed how often I say I feel I'm not getting anywhere and almost the next day there is an improvement.

Hang in there SadKnee, you'll get there, I know it doesn't always feel like it :console2: but every day is a day closer to full recovery!

Hugs :friends:
H x
 
Hi SadKnee and HilaryP I was given similar exercises last Friday at physio and I am finding them really helpful in improving the movement. The third exercise I have been given is for straightening. Having my foot elevated with the knee unsupported and letting gravity straighten my leg. I am doing that 20 minutes three times a day.
Good luck Sadknee, slow and steady will get you there. We all follow our own recovery path.
Hugs Toothfairy x :happydance: :yay:
 
Sadknee
I'm sure the aquatic exercising will help your knee...I've been able to get into the pool and do some water walking and even some gentle kicks a few times in the last week (lack of sunshine) and it feels so good because your body is fully supported by the water...it just seems easier to do everything. Please do let us know how you get on....but stop being overly concerned about numbers...truly you will find the right path for you and it will work..whether it's different exercises or the pool ...or a new physio...it will work.
hugs Gami :friends: :flwrysmile: :yay:
 
Hi Toothfairy and HilaryP and gami just wanted to say THANKS for your support ladies. You all made my day and all had good things for me to consider and try. My aquatics class was really fun and it helped me knee a LOT! It only cost $5 USD and was an hour long. There were three other ladies in the class and the instructor. I modified some of the exercises to include my knee whenever possible. I am going to go back on Thu and Fri hopefully. I am also going to try the new exercises you all recommended. Just getting out and doing something different helped my mental state. I also started back on my thyroid medicine as I had run out just before my surgery and it just got refilled. I did not need it for a while but then I got really sluggish so I had a bit more pep in my step today after taking it again. I wish you all well!! :thankyou: :thankyou: :thankyou:
 
Good morning Sadknee, ( hopefully getting happier every day knee :SUNsmile: )
Great news about the aquatics class, I hope to do something like that when I am able or even just go to the pool to walk and kick gently. I just love being in the water.
Hopefully in a few more weeks my turn will come.
Have a great day,
Hugs,
Toothfairy x :happydance: :egypdance:
 
Yay in the pool ...so nice isn't it and if you can manage it a couple of times a week it will be even nicer ....just keep in mind that it i still hard work for your body because of the actual gentle resistance of the water when you are moving...so you may feel quite tired after a water session. :yes!: but it's all so good because as I said the water also supports your body so you can move freely...so happy for you, keep it up :egypdance: :egypdance:

hugs Gami :friends: :flwrysmile:
 
My husband finally built me some special steps so I can sleep in my own bed instead of the guest room. My own bed was too high without these steps. He built them out of a pallet and they are very sturdy and the top is big enough I can turn around on safely. Here is a pic.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] SadKnee Will Be Smiling Soon
    image.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 197
:goodpost: Hi Sadknee, they look great. What a good husband you have.
Enjoy sleeping in your own bed. How are you doing today?
Hugs,
Toothfairy x :flwrysmile:
 
Well it only took my husband a month to build these steps so he is running a little late. He was overwhelmed when I first came home and we had a real rough patch for a week or so but it blew over. He is going to Las Vegas this weekend for a billiards tournament so it will just be me and my 7 year old daughter and my dogs all weekend. I will definitely miss my husband and all that he does for me.
 
Hi Saadknee
I'm so glad to hear that home life is smoother for you..it certainly helps to have a good support team and the steps even though they are a little late show he's still in there working to keep you comfortable. :friends: I'm, sure you'll manage okay on the weekend just make it easy/peasy...and your husband will appreciate his weekend distracted by the tournament...especially if he believes you and your daughter and dogs will cope and he will come home feeling freshen by his mini break and grateful that he could go. :beer:

Sleeping in your own bed is good isn't it...I just so loved being back in mine..though mine was the opposite it is very low..another reason for delaying my return to it for a couple of weeks post-op. :egypdance:

hugs Gami :friends: :flwrysmile:
 
Hi Gami, I am sorry you can't get into your own bed yet. How are you doing? I just want to say I appreciate your posts as you ate always friendly and encouraging! This forum has some of the nicest and most caring people on it! I wish there was a yearly Bonesmart Convention where we could all meet face-to-face.

Gami are you using anything to walk still? Is still need my walker and this is concerning me. At my age I should not still be needing it.
 
Hi Sadknee....it's nice I am sleeping in my own bed now and find it much more comfortable :yay: .

I don't use my cane in the house or garden most of the day, however I always take it when I go out because I still have some confidence issues on uneven ground. Also I find late in the evening when I get tired I use it because sometimes my leg stiffens a bit and I have to go up and down stairs to go to my bedroom or bathroom. :shrug:

I still have some swelling and it's always more noticeable at the end of the day so I'm still icing and resting the leg. Night times I've begun having a nice long warm bath before bed and that seems to help relax the muscles so I've been having better sleeps...I still wake up a number of times but am able to go back to sleep once I have a little walk around. :yawn:

My husband is quite used to my nocturnal wanderings and doesn't even stir most nights, I go to the gym 3 times week just some stationary bike riding(only a couple of klms) and some upper body exercises and try and have some time in the backyard pool whenever the sun shines (which has been very inconsistent these last weeks...so much rain). It may sound a lot but I really don't overdo it and most of it happens because I have my husband who is retired to drive me around. :cheers:

My husband has been doing all the shopping and cleaning as well as cooking most of our meals...though lately I've started cooking some meals again...he's very happy because he really doesn't feel comfortable in the kitchen. :spin:

I haven't taken a real lot of pain medication post-op though I did stick with the bonesmart cocktail for a few weeks...then I had a lot of painless days so I eased back on that as well. However because my knee is still so unpredictable at the end of the day I think I'll be taking my evening meds for a while yet...I so need that sleep of a night. :groan:

As we've said many times this journey is such a roller coaster ride and along with the sleepless nights and moments of triumph I really try and find some humour in my situation and so often those moments come and lighten my day. Sometimes just coming here to the forum when I wake at 3-4am feeling uncomfortable and sleepy I log on and read how others are coping...how their situations are changing daily...I read the posts of others who are where we were a a few months ago and it helps me to realize just how far we have all come...yes this is a good place to be...where so many people really do care and offer each other support. :friends: :angel:

Well just about time to wander back up to bed for a little while...enjoy your day Sadknee ..whatever it brings...with all it's challenges it bring you one day closer to recovery :flwrysmile: :friends: :flwrysmile: :yahoo: :happydance:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom