TKR SadKnee Will Be Smiling Soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
So glad you're home safe & sound! The shower will be wonderful! Take care of yourself and go slow, it takes a wee while to adjust to being at home without all the 'net' of care around you but it's so much nicer.
Hilary x
 
My incision right after they took off the bandages 2 days later.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] SadKnee Will Be Smiling Soon
    image.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 201
Hi HilaryP doing OK but cannot sleep tonight. I took it really easy today. I did some stretches and laps around the house in my walker. I also tried cutting my pain meds but went back to normal dosage when I was getting very uncomfortable. It was suggested to use my CPM machine for 6 hours a day and pace it throughout the day but I did not feel like it so I did not do at all today.

It sounds like you are doing well from your posts. Hats off to you since you did both at once. I am amazed at how you do everything without one good leg. :flwrysmile:
 
So glad you're home safe & sound! The shower will be wonderful! Take care of yourself and go slow, it takes a wee while to adjust to being at home without all the 'net' of care around you but it's so much nicer.
Hilary x

I actually get 100 times better care at home than I did at the hospital. Only thing I miss is strangely enough is my hospital bed as I could move it around to just the right position.
 
Hello, hope you slept better last night, I know what you mean about getting the comfy position with the hospital bed. I've got piles of pillows & usually manage to get comfy now. I'm back to flat on my back with justa couple of pillows now the rest are used as a barrier to stop my small dog jumping onto me in the morning! Well, I am sleeping on 'his' sofa (which is a bed as well) in my study. It's a bit of a shock to the system waking up with a smiling terrier standing on my chest hell bent on washing my face:puppysmooze: !
Don't drop the meds, way too soon! Take it slow & steady!
Hugs
H
 
On Sunday night which would have been Day 5 I got this really strange feeling of steel bands closing around my knee, above it and below it. It was so tight it felt like it might pop. Had not felt this before. Had not really been doing too much other than icing, elevating, stretches and doing some laps around the house when I need something. At that point I was up most nights.

I was feeling bad already as my DME rep and hospital Pysio said to do 6 hours a day In the CPM machine but I was really not up to it and still trying to keep pain under control. So when my visiting Pysio came to the house I could barely move my knee due to the strange feeling/tightening and I did not think it was in my best interet to get too aggressive which I relayed to my Pysio when he tried to push down on my knee. I told him I was following the mantra here and he did not look to pleased. He tried to indicate I was jeapordizing my knee which I know is false.

So since then my knee has felt better and that weird creepiness has gone away so I have been doing some light exercises but no CPM machine yet. Fast forward to today and my husband makes a mean remark about how I am just lying around and I should follow that Pysios advice before I goof up my knee. This was after we got in an argument last night but it really cut me to the bone (kind of funny joke here) as I have been really trying very hard and doing what I can. I moved to the guest room since the bed is lower and I can get in and out by myself. I even started getting all my own ice for my ice bucket lat night, since I stopped talking to my husband, which is challenging with my walker. I had sent him all the same articles I read.

So please tell me if that super tight feeling was normal ... it seemed to have passed .... and if I need to be doing more right now which is Day 7 for me. My home Pysio comes back on Thursday. Have been taking the stool softeners 2 or 3 a day and nothing has happened since my surgery ... I am not uncomfortable ... but have not wanted to eat too much ... when should I get worried?

Thanks everyone! Been crying today so hopefully things will get brighter tomorrow.
 
Hey there! On the appetite .....it took me about two weeks to get even close to a normal diet, so don't sweat that, it will return. Just be sure to hydrate very well. That may help with the digestive matter as well. My cpm machine can be returned. I did the 6 hours a day religiously. It was hard at times to make myself strap in but it has paid off for me. I do admit to skipping a session or two when I wasn't up to it....natural feeling for all. Do what you can.....you can do it!!

Best to you!
 
Hi Sadknee I'm a day ahead of you but am feeling much the same...I've had that tight feeling around my knee but it has gone,the day our daughter went home was my weepy day I felt so confused I'd been to the physio the day before and he had told me I wasn't trying hard enough, both my husband and daughter had caught on to his comment about the window of opportunity for getting the Rom right or being permanently affected by lack of movement. It just seemed to be a losing battle. :groan:

So I've stuck to the BS mantra I've iced and elevated and rested because my knee is swollen and movement is painful if I push it. I seem to be able to get around a bit better and my short walks are more comfortable. I'm not taking much in the pain department just panadol osteo 4 times a day....so my bowel problems have resolved. :ok:

I am not going back to see the physio til Monday, I have my staples out tomorrow and will ask at the hospital about massage of my calf muscles which seem very bruised and lumpy. :umm:I don't think the physio will be happy but right now I am..... and SadKnee .....this is our journey and we can make the choices for ourselves.

Thankyou BS family I am feeling a little stronger with your support :cheers:
 
SadKnee and gami, the tight band feeling is perfectly normal. There's an article in the Library about it---can't get the link for you right now---some computer glitch--in the library index look under the "t"s. You'll find it.

Why do you ladies worry about how the physical therapist feels or what he/she thinks of you? Are you working for this person? Is the PT your boss? If you don't perform to his/her satisfaction, what can he/she do to you----fire you?

This person works for you. You (or your insurance) are the one paying for their services. And you're an adult to boot. You have a right to say "NO". You do not have to do anything you don't want to do. You don't even have to go to PT. If your PT is out of sync with the BoneSmart mantra and that's how you want your PT done----then have a discussion with them---if you cannot come to some agreement---then find another PT---there are plenty of them around.

Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] SadKnee Will Be Smiling Soon
 
Sadknee - sorry to hear your getting pressure (in more ways than one!) from loved ones. Really not fair of him but I suppose as far as they are concerned we're home, look ok, surgery done so should be 'getting on' with it! Some people just don't understand what we've had done, maybe ask him to look at on op on YouTube? As for the PT as others have said they work for you not the other way round. You've not gone through all this to let your knee be worse than useless afterwards, you'll work as hard and as much as you can, when you can. Difficult whilst you've got that 'band feeling' it's horrid, I had it too. Oddly enough I found tonic water helped, the quinine ingredient is the important bit (also helped with slight blockages in other areas!!!!),
Hugs to you, you're doing REALLY well, don't let others say otherwise!:flwrysmile:
H
 
Hi Sadknee, I hope today is a better day for you. I love your new avatar!
Your husband may be worried for you because of the physio's thoughtless and ill informed remarks. That may be what caused his unkind comments, that said it is no help to you at all.
You are right and wise to stick to the BS guidance, as it says in your signature TKR accomplished on 19th February 2013. You are still in the very early stages of healing so hang on in there. You are doing brilliantly,
Sending a hug, Toothfairy x
:console2:
 
Just decided to check on you before my nap here. Regarding husbands, let me say this and it is just my humble opinion. They worry but do not show it, they know, see and can hear that you are in pain but they do not know what to do and yes, I think they are scared. Yes, my husband had wondered are you following the exercises, are you walking enough, etc? But yesterday we sat down and went over all of Josephine's articles for newbies and it was good for both of us, so much going on before and after surgery, I was surprised how much I forgot and it helped him too.
Tell your PT it is your knee and then kick him in the butt and say how did you like that exercise! :snork:
Sincerely, I do hope each day gets better for you and I know it will. I have no bruising at all and very little swelling. Muscle spasms are killing me. I wish you the best and a big warm hug :console2:
 
Hey there Kickboxer...........kicking anybody around yet.....???? OK.... some updates. I see your using a CPM. 6hours.....???!!! really.....The only thing I ever do for 6 hours is sleeping....... The CPM is controversial on here by some, but I liked using it and felt it did me well. But 6 hours.....booooring. I used my an hour in the am and another hour (or less) in the evening. I also set the limits myself depending on how the knee felt that day. Sometimes I'd crank it back alittle to ease the limits and then twords the end of the hour stretch the limit a bit. Just my 2 cents worth. Now as for the meds.......refer to my post for livinginfl. What's funny is Later your gonna give otheres advice about making sure to take their meds and do it on the clock, when in fact you didn't heed your own advice. Stop thinking your a wimp or worrying about that addiction bull. Take the meds and be comfortable. Weening later is a very simple task and of no concern. OK, rant over. Soooooo,, how ya doin.........and don't tell me ya have a sadknee.......good things come to those who wait......
 
But good for you!!! Ha! Threaten to walkout! I love it. So sorry you had to do that but you go girl! Get what you need! Can't believe your experience. And amab is right, let your husband do the calling to administration. You are too busy. My hospital experience wasn't great but I got what I needed without begging or threatening. I think amab's idea about the cookies is a great one. A friend of mine is going next week, and I am going to remind his wife to bring cookies.
 
Sadknee,
Hope you are feeling better. I had issues with my whole family. They are use to mom doing everything and suddenly I can't. My hubby got sick while I was in the hospital needless to say he was worthless. Then he told his work he would go back in after I had been home 2 days. He works 24 hours we have 3 dogs and two adult boys who should have been more helpful. I told him I can't even get my leg on e bed without help. So he stayed home but really he was too sick to go anyway. I didn't get any dinner for a few nights, no breakfast etc because he said oh there is salad in there well salad which I love was no cutting it with my stomach. My sons basically went a out there lives and there I lay. I told him I was calling to go to rehab if he didn't help out. For some reason last week he realizes what a major surgery it was and has been wonderful. My younger son had to go to our regular MD and he was saying what a huge and painful surgery this is and that night my younger one kept coming in asking if I needed anything etc. so it got better but if I had to do it again I would go to rehab for 10 days. I am 16 days PO today. I does get better and stay on top of pain meds. I found the pain never really goes away just gets tolerable.
Cathy
 
@Beachmomdk Cathy our stories are very similar :(. I truly thought I was going to get a lot of help from my teenage son and my husband and thought I had prepared them for this but none has gone as planned. We even planned that my husband would not start his new job so he could do all the household items and not have to double duty with me, the kids, and a new job. As with all "planned" things sometimes things go astray.

I ended up sending my son to visit his Grandma as he seemed to think he could do whatever he wanted. My husband who has always been my rock decided I was not treating him right and decided it was a good time to revisit how he was not happy with so many things right now that I was just shocked. Decided I could not deal with any of this in my impaired state and asked him to go camping close by as we have a very nice motorhome and was hoping some rest and time away may help him. He comes by every morning and evening to restock my ice buckets and help me upstairs to shower, feed dogs, check the mail and then either pick up our daughter for school and/or to drop her off after school.

So for the most part it is me, the dogs, and my daughter (age 7) holding down the home fort when he is away. Feels very strange when one is used to a full house. I was able to take a nap today and that had helped. Emotionally I feel like I have been walked over and let down but asking this time to do what I want and try to heal.

Keeping up on my pain meds is key I believe. My digestion has never restarted and I drink water all day and night. I am not in any discomfort but will bring this up when I have my follow up visit with my OS tomorrow.

I lost a lot of motion and flex as I was too sick to do to much for the last couple of days. I am working hard on trying to get it back. My physical therapist is worried that my OS will be unhappy and that he will tell me to get a new one. I told him not to worry that I will tell my OS it is all me. Maybe this loss is normal. One good sign is that my leg feels stronger and I am trying not to baby it. My goal is to get,out of this walker by next Tue which will be two weeks post op. We will see if this happens

Thanks so much for your post! I greatly appreciate it. :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile: It makes me feel more normal.

Gonna get up and try and loosen up my knee now.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
We had simular issues with the hospital but mine was when I had my hysterectomy not my knee. The hospital I was at with my knee was wonderful. They brought pain pills on time, made sure my bed was perfect every time I got up to go to the bathroom. Keep a white board with med schedule nurses names and had too mark every hour when they come in.
I had to take a large bottle and half of miralax which worked but then went the other way lol I think from the blood thinners.
I sorry about your husband that is just rude!!!!! I just started using a cane and I am 16'days PO. In the morning Imstill need walker though Bc I am so sore. You will feel better next week!
Cathy
 
Hi Cathy, the hospital where you had your knee done at sounds like they had their act together. That must have been nice. When I get my strength up I am going to document my hospital stay and send it to the hospital.

I have a bottle of MiraLAX I am going to hold off on that until tomorrow evening as I have my f/u appt tomorrow with my OS and it is an hour each way and then an hour to wait to see him.

Yes mornings are so rough so I may need to be in the walker for that. How exciting you are on cane already! It sounds like you are making REALLY good progress!

Yep my husband is having some issues :hissy: right now that is unusual for him. I don't think he thought I would tell him to go but I am pretty feisty. He did bring dinner over so the three of us had dinner and then he filled up my ice, pitchers, tidied up, secured the house and left. I think I appreciate him more as he is not here all day. My daughter was exacted to go camping with him tonight.

I am getting ready to watch a movie and rest. Have a nice evening!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom