TKR SadKnee Will Be Smiling Soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Bonesmart.org] SadKnee Will Be Smiling Soon
Gosh! SadKnee, if you're not smiling today, I can certainly understand why. Night time in the hospital is bad enough if things are going well, but to be ignored and in pain is worse than the pits. I would definitely report what happened to the hospital administrator and your surgeon. I simply cannot understand people who apply for and accept jobs in nursing and caring for patients who obviously do not care about people at all. And the night shift seem to be the worse. Maybe because all the administrators have gone home for the night.

Hoping today has been a big, big improvement in level of pain and care.

Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] SadKnee Will Be Smiling Soon
 
Is it 'normal'? Well sadly we do seem to get more than a few such reports of appalling care like this. But it shouldn't be 'normal' and sometimes it makes me ashamed to admit I am a nurse. It also makes me very angry to hear anyone gets such atrocious care. On behalf of the better part of my profession, my deepest apologies to you both.
 
I actually ended up leaving the hospital early because of an incident like this one with my first knee. I was so much happier at home, it was a relief to walk into my own room. Kelly
 
Hello Everyone!

I am back. Today was a better day! First my doctor and new day nurse got me out of pain :)!!! I guess Percocet works better on me with Terado than Norco. My day nurses today were very nice and sweet. My surgeon had me make a report on what had happened with the night team. I told him that I don't mean them any ill will I just want to make sure they don't do this to someone older that cannot advocate for themselves.

Most of my life the nurses I have run across have been very hardworking, caring, and compassionate. I never ran across something like this myself but I had to take care of my stepmother in the hospital and unusual things always seemed to happen at night.

:angel: :angel: Josephine I am sure you have been an amazing nurse! My husband was quite impressed with how long you have been a nurse and that you are still doing it! Kudos to you! :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile:

So today once I was able to get out of bed and get my leg down I was able to walk past the nurses station, have my catheter removed, go to the bathroom and work on the CPM machine. I am learning stairs tomorrow and then I get to go home :flwrysmile:

On the downside I am so sleepy as I never went to bed last night so it will be an wary night for me tonight!

I believe I may have a blown IV. It has been bleeding all day and I think I see the needle head in the meat of my hand. Was very painful earlier but I think all the pain meds helped. Hopefully they can just remove it and give me Turado by pill.

Thanks everyone for your support!!
 
Yes, you should call the nurse right now to have her remove the IV. Mine also blew out and I just took pills as well. K
 
Last night in the hospital!! Cannot sleep much but I did get 4 hours so that helps! I am doing better physically and mentally when the pain is managed!
 
Well, all I can say is that other part is behind you now. You have a good attitude and the better part is ahead of you. Keep up the good work. :ok:

PS. Make sure that staff knows your screen name is Kickboxer.......that'll put the fear into 'em. :yikes:
 
SadKnee, thinking you might like to change your avatar and you user name when you get home---I found a really cute hamster kicking up her leg---will post it below. You can just click on it and "save image as" in your pic file (if you want to use it, of course). And Josephine or Jamie could change your user name to HappyKnee or as suggested above Kickboxer. Just a thought---you do just what you want to.

Here's the pic I found
[Bonesmart.org] SadKnee Will Be Smiling Soon
 
Hi bottomshollow thanks for the avatar. I put it up. Mi may change my name and story line let me think about it for a day.

Just got out of the hospital and home and need some rest to get clearheaded. It feels so good to be home! I am sitting in my recliner with my knee up and ice machine on. Just trying to keep the pain managed but at least now it is in my hands. I cannot wait to take a hot shower.
 
Just catching up on your "adventure" and so appalled at both your nurses' conduct and that they didn't have your pain pill (and any other meds) on a set schedule. Definitely write a letter to the administrator AND copy in the state hospital and nursing regulators. In California, they do a not-half-bad job looking into things, from what I've read. It's also too bad you were in a hospital/on a unit that doesn't have a protocol for joint replacement patients. As much as I whine about Kaiser, they really had the drill down, since they do so many and have teams who do basically nothing but.
I hope your recovery goes smoothly from here on out.
 
Last night in the hospital!! Cannot sleep much but I did get 4 hours so that helps! I am doing better physically and mentally when the pain is managed!


That is great---it is very, very important to get that pain under control---your mental outlook is so much better when that pain is managed well!

I would, if i were you, discuss the lack of professionalism with a patient advocate at the hospital. I know that many hospitals have a survey patient advocate that works to locate and to improve patient care---nobody should be treated that way.
 
A few weeks after my BTKR, I received a phone call from the hospital---and they asked me questions about my care. They were very concerned about the quality of care. I was lucky---every one of my patient care-givers were outstanding-- the only thing that was really, really bad was the food. I hope that you take care of this so that no body else has to go through what you went through.
 
SadKnee---so glad you liked the new avatar---she's so much more representative of where you are and where you're going!
 
SadKnee, I too just caught up with your story; what an appalling situation in the hospital! I can't say enough good things about the care I received in the hospital. Not sure if it being a teaching hospital made a difference. Anyway, I am glad you are in the comfort of your own home now. Hang in there; the adventure continues!
 
Hi Sadknee,

Sure hope you are feeling better today. What an awful experience!

I am pre, pre making a decision to even see an orthopedic doc about my knee pain and have been lurking around this site reading. I wonder if it is okay to ask where in southern CA you are? I live just north of San Diego and sure wouldn't want to go to the same hospital if and when I make a decision.

All the best to you on your journey!
 
NeedKnees to be fair to the hospital as mine may have been an isolated incident and management was very responsive when they learned of this I don't want to name the hospital on a public forum. It is not located anywhere near San Diego if that eases your mind :). The hospital itself was fine ... as we're most of my nurses ... even the food wasn't too bad. I will share it with you privately once you decide to go through with it.

I do however highly recommend my surgeon. He is a wonderful man and his skills are exquisite. Everyone I met at the hospital told me that they would have only him do their knees so that speaks volumes. He seems to be up-to-date on all the latest techniques. He does not advertise and is usually contacted by referrals from his patients. However, I have heard that there are good surgeons down in your area too.

Keep researching and you will come to the right decision for you. I am happy I had it done and surgery is over.

Feel free to ask your questions on this forum. It has been the best resource to me on this procedure.
 
Thanks SadKnee, I have a lot of reading, research and lurking on this site to do before I take the next step. Hope your recovery goes well and you are back on your feet pain free in a timely manner.
 
Good luck, NeedKnees. I wish I had found this site before my surgery. But better late than never.
 
Good Lord. Have your husband or yourself make a huge stink. I hope it helps.
I went through this too and I called the patient Advocate, the social worker assigned to me, the charge nurse, my surgeon and on and on .

In my case, the PA "forgot..my bad!" to write out the order for increased meds after my femoral nerve block was removed! I had reminded 4 people the previous night that I was very concerned about my pain being managed during this transition. I was assured "We've got your back." I was yessed to death and didn't get even the usual pain management, let alone the extra attention I had told them from the start that I would need.

Hang in there and be sure your outside people ,GP and the surgeon's office know that you are in pain when you come home. I had severe pain for about 2 weeks, once they let it get out of control. I went from a 2 to a constant 7 and I cannot tell you how it set me back with PT and general healing.

I hope this is all a memory for you by now..hopefully you are home and feeling more comfy.

I was not aggressive, but I was outspoken about how my post-op pain had been managed. It didn't make me my surgeon's favorite patient, but I think it's important for Doctors to know that a one size fits all model doesn't count as "pain management". My hospital assured me that I would have a "pain team", apparently this is what they call an absent-minded PA. The surgery itself was excellent though, very well done . What i objected to was the assembly line feel of it..that practice does a LOT of knees!

As I said, hope by now you are feeling a little more like yourself! :whistle:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom