THR Ryan's Hip Recovery

Anyone who is feeling down due to recent surgery just read "post op blues" article at top of page, it's quite normal to feel down after surgery. Mine came in waves, happy after hip surgery was done because pain was gone and I could use walker to go up and down hallway.
But once home and you feel you should be doing better at certain times and you can get blue again. My last crying session was at 3 months post op.
All my best for a stress free recovery, just read some older posts here and you will see we are all very similar.
 
I am starting to get little zaps/sharp pains in different places of my operated leg. Not too sure what these are, possibly nerves firing
Small sensory nerve fibers are cut with the incision. While healing you may experience sensations of tingling, pins and needles, itching, burning and even the feeling of a minor electrical shock. These are usually good signs that the nerves are spontaneously firing through the regeneration process.
So rest assured its normal. I hope you have a nice week!
 
Day 5 and 6 update:

I have very little pain at this point. The joint feels more sore/stiff than painful. I am still taking oxycodone every 4-5 hours and plan to start weening myself off this week.

Every day I am getting a little more mobile. There are little things around the house that I usually would do myself, but since surgery I am having my wife or son do (e.g. feed the dogs, take out trash, pick up kid toys, etc.). I find myself just doing some of these now instead of asking for help. I took my longest walk so far with my wife and son to go so hi to some of our neighbors. At the end of the walk, I lifted my walker over my head and took about 6 steps. The look on my wife's face was priceless. She told me it was the equivalent of our 6 year old on a bike and saying "Look mom, no hands!". I am definitely a bit sore today but well worth it. I am gaining confidence.

I have my first follow-up visit with my surgeon tomorrow. I am hoping my bandage gets removed as parts of it are becoming very itchy.

Last, I wanted to mention the bruising. My whole left leg is covered in purple and yellow. They sure beat the heck out of me in the operating room. It isn't painful so no complaints here.

Overall, I am beginning to feel extremely positive about my hip. If I have this much improvement in 6 days, who knows where I will be in a couple weeks (hopefully back at the gym).

Happy healing to everyone.

Ryan
 
Great news that you are not In pain. The stiffness is a lot easier to deal with, isn’t it? I'd just encourage you not to push too hard too fast. It’s wonderful that your recovery is going so well but beware the Overdid It Club. Those guys are ALWAYS on the lookout for new members!
 
Your joint has no feeling!, it's the soft tissue. You don't mention ice which is the best relief and help prevent bruising and swelling. Might want to slow your roll with thinking about the gym too quickly. As @Woodstockhip mentioned the overdidit club from experience it's where we usually end up right after we get a bit cocky in our recoveries.
 
Thanks for the responses and the warning not to overdue anything. I think my post made it seem like I am doing a lot more than I am. I literally used my walker to walk about 5 houses over from me and back. I only go up and down the stairs maybe twice a day. We rented a recliner for me and the majority of the day is spent in it with my legs up and ice.

I do appreciate the warnings though. Sounds like many people have done too much and the following day is not great. There wouldn't be so many of you warning about that if it wasn't bad. So THANKS! :)

Ryan
 
@Rebelguy My surgeon explained the bruised look to me ( I had one leg that was very colorful! and the other only a bit colorful- the more colorful one was first done of my BTHR and so was gravitationally down while 2nd one was done) - some of it is bruise especially around the incision but the rest is more likely to be blood that seeped during the surgery. Surgeons control any big bleeds but little ones are usually ignored. So the blood seeps down the leg and rises toward the skin and so looks like a big bruise. This will reabsorb over time - usually a week or two and is not a matter to worry about. Just one of those things they never tell you about before surgery.
 
Happy Tuesday!
Good luck with your first post op visit with your surgeon today. Let us know how it goes.
Safe travels there and back home! :wave:
@Rebelguy
 
Day 8 Update - Everything appears to be progressing in my operated leg. I am able to walk farther each day and have less pain. It is funny but after a week since surgery, I can honestly say my operated hip is my better hip now. That was quick.

I had my first post-op appointment yesterday. All he did was take the top bandage off and look at my incision. This was the first time I had seen it and it didn't look as bad as I thought it would. Doc said it looks great. There is still another clear layer of some sort of tape over top of it.

He also told me that the head of my femur was quite impressive. One of the worst he has seen. He said when they pulled the head out there was a piece of dead cartilage dangling off. He couldn't believe that I said I had been going to the gym daily the past year. He also said my other hip is probably going to be just as bad..

So................I booked my RTHR for December 12th. Didn't think I would be coming out of this appointment with another surgery scheduled but I am so tired of dealing with this and with how well this first one has gone, I said 'What the heck'.

Here's to having TWO good hips by New Years! :)

Ryan
 
Just wanted to give a quick update 11 days after LTHR.

My recovery is pretty boring. Every day I am getting stronger and more confident in my hip. Pain level is around a 2 out of 10. I just drove for the first time and went to Starbucks 30 minutes ago. I even went to one that didn't have a drive-thru.

For me I have realized that I can push my hip to the limit each day as I am not that sore the following day. I know this is not everyone's experience. The best advice for my recovery has been 'Listen to your body'.

Just to put everything in perspective though prior to hip surgery I would ride a stationary bike 30 minutes a day at relatively high levels and then lift for 30-45 minutes after. I am only 37 and have played multiple sports my whole life.

I am crossing fingers that recovery keeps going this well.

I appreciate this forum and everybody that has read and/or replied to my comments during this time. It has helped keep a positive attitude.

Ryan
 
Glad you are making such great progress Ryan.

The low pain levels are great news.

Boring is good recovery wise!

I drove my car for the first time today too. Just around our parking lot and back a few times. I have more leg strength than I expected.
 
Doing well, Ryan!

How great it is that this surgery will give your life back to you ... compare to si fine your age even 50 years ago.

Here's my story ... if I can do it anyone can!

 
Hey everyone,

I haven't posted in a while. I am exactly 3 weeks out today and wanted to give an update and some observations from my recovery.

My recovery progressed very fast which made me very excited. At about the two week mark, I have noticed each day almost feels the same now. Very incremental increases. It is going to be a long process to get back to feeling as I did before.

One thing that has given me more struggles than anything so far has been the lack of any text/email/phone call from many people who I thought were friends. This feels very selfish on my part too. I have multiple people who I have worked with for over 4 years. They have seen how this has negatively impacted my life and I have been telling them about my upcoming surgery. It has been such a struggle seeing all of these same people not say a word to me for 3 weeks. I wonder if anyone else has dealt with this.

Also similar to my previous paragraph is another struggle where in the first couple weeks, people that did take an interest in my surgery and recovery have since moved on. Not really anyone checks in anymore and I realize that it is now myself and my new hip. I have to figure this out on my own.

I don't want to sound like people owe me anything. I just want to emphasize that this recovery is not only physical (which I feel like I am excelling at) but also mental (which I am struggling).

I would love to hear anyone that has any similar experiences.

Always, I appreciate anyone reading and/or taking an interest in what I have to say.

Ryan
 
Hello Ryan,
Great to hear your recovery is going well. I am sorry you're feeling a bit neglected by friends and work colleagues.

Time is likely moving slowly for you and not so much for them. Possibly you'll hear from them as they realize its been awhile since your last communication. Consider reaching out to some of your friends and I'm sure they'll respond favorably. You can always invite someone to stop by for a visit over coffee, or lunch, or see if anyone close to you is willing to take you for a car ride, or join you for a restaurant meal during a less busy time of day.

Life can be hectic and busy for most so I'd try not to take it personally, but instead initiate emails, phone calls and possibly short outings and see what type of response you get. You can always stop by here to chat if you're feeling lonely. Feel free to share updates on your progress day or night. Lights never go out here! :)
@Rebelguy
 
Hey, Ryan,
It's good to hear that you're doing ok post op with your new hip. Your mental/emotional struggles sound normal to me. At around 4 weeks out things slow down for those of us with relatively easy recoveries. Most of the big milestones are behind us...we've ditched the walker, and maybe the cane; don't need refills on the heavy pain meds; the bathroom is almost back to normal because the giant cumbersome toilet aid is going or gone; we can do a lot more for ourselves without really thinking about it, so little victories aren't such a huge deal any more.
Try to keep in mind the improvements you make or notice every day, and throw a little mental confetti to mark them.

As for feeling lost and ignored, I think that's part of the process for some of us, too. I think it helps to view it from the other peoples' perspective. Probably they think that you're fine, and that if you need anything you'll let them know. Maybe they don't want to bother you with calls and chit chat. Most likely, most if not all of them just can't relate to your situation at all, so they don't or can't understand.
Personally I found that almost all the help and cheerleading evaporated after my first week post op. Not that family and friends didn't care, they simply had their their regular lives to lead, they assumed if I needed their help or company I would ask for it. There was no ill intent at all.
Follow @Layla 's advice and contact a few people and see how things are going with them and the outside world. When I did that, I was mindful to make the call more about them and to be concise and quick to change the subject when they asked about me - because in my experience not many people want details about surgery and recovery. For that sort of thing, Bonesmart was/is the place.
And know that there's a lesson in your experience. You'll know how important contact will be to family, friend, or co-worker when *they* are laid up, and you'll make the effort.
Keep on keepin' on. It won't be long until you're back to real life.
All the best toward a speedy full recovery.
 
Good morning @Rebelguy,
You describe the timeline almost exactly.

The first 3 weeks I felt like an all star.

But even working from home I am much more tired by the end of the day.

And waking up an hour earlier really adds up over the week! No wonder we are tired. The energy drain is real.

I have had to dial back some activities and some of my own expectations.

Healing will happen. The hip will set its own timeline (not me).

Try reaching out to a couple of friends.
 
Happy One Month Anniversary, Ryan!
I hope you're feeling in better spirits these days. Usually the stronger we get, the more active we become making it easier to engage with others. I hope you reached out to some friends, or visa versa. Always know that we'll be here if you need us. A wonderful Wednesday to you and a great rest of the week! :)
@Rebelguy
 
Hi everyone,

My one month anniversary was yesterday. I am feeling pretty good. My new hip joint has almost no pain at all. I still do have some slight discomfort in my thigh muscle. I was told this was due to the anterior method and should fade.

I am also dying to get back into the gym. I was told I could use the stationary bike but may hold off another couple weeks after my follow up appt with my surgeon. I am just nervous I may mess up the hip and want to give my bone more time to grow into the prosthetic.

My biggest struggle right now is that my other hip is pretty painful. I have scheduled RTHR for December 12th. Hoping by the beginning of 2023 I will be feeling great!

Ryan
 
Sounds like you're doing great, Ryan! I'm sorry your other hip is bothering you just as, Lefty, is feeling better.
Thankfully you don't have to wait too long and will go into 2023 with two new hips.
Brighter days are on the way! :happydance:Enjoy the weekend.
@Rebelguy
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Back
Top Bottom