Guest viewing is limited

THR Ryan's Hip Recovery

Thanks for sharing what you noted above, Ryan. I am certain it's difficult to avoid comparing your two recoveries. I hope the reassurance you received from your surgeon has you feeling more confident in your progress. You will get there and what a Summer 2023 you'll have!
@Rebelguy
:merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon:
 
@Rebelguy

Shin pain likely referred from tight IT band or nerve. As ROM improves this will start to pass, had the same thing. Do some calf stretching as well.

At your age you are indeed probably top 10% of what hits the surgeons table. Age, comorbitities like diabetes, smoking, overweight, cardiac condition etc all play a role and may complicate both surgery and recovery. Assuming you are young and healthy a great starting point! driving and doing errands at day 11 tells me nothing to worry about.

As a relatively young person myself, the feeling of panic you describe is normal too. Natural to get frustrated if my day goes the wrong way. When this happens you just have to change the narrative when ‘negative self talk’ comes into play and immediately try shift focus to being positive. Deep breathing and meditation are very powerful tools as well.

Wishing you a speedy recovery!
 
I wanted to give an update at the 3 week mark.

The majority of my pain is now gone. I am off all pain meds. I had my two week post op appointment, had my bandage removed, and x-rays done (everything looks good in both hips). Went out with my wife for a few drinks to celebrate. :)

I am able to drive myself around now which is a major plus. I just recently stopped using the walker when I am out. I continue to use it at the house to make sure I walk with good form.

I do get a little irritation/inflammation in my knee on the side that was just recently operated. I have been limping on this side since March of last year so I am guessing it is just going to need time to adjust to the new way I walk.

Overall, I am doing great. I cannot believe I am a short time away from putting this nightmare behind me and living my life again.

Happy healing.

Ryan
 
You sound as if all is going well!:yay:

As you keep feeling better and better, the trick can be finding the line between enough and too much.
I had to remind myself I was still recovering from a major surgery and tried to structure my return to my life as a slow, gradual process where I introduced small increments in activity, and then give myself time to see how my hips felt about it.
All temporary, and worth the patience.
 
So glad to hear Ryan

Once in a while I would get an isolated spot above my right knee.

It evolved from a painful spot that needed ice to just a pressure spot.

All normal.
 
What a wonderful update! Thanks for sharing and encouraging those behind you with how quickly you can experience and enjoy progress post THR.
May it only get better! :SUNsmile:
@Rebelguy
 
Just wanted to give a quick update as today has been a great day.

I am 26 days out from my second hip replacement. A little over 3 months from my first. I just got back from the gym where I was able to ride the stationary bike and do some light lifting with NO pain in either hip. This is the first time I have been able to walk with no pain in over a year and a half. I actually cried on my drive home (don't tell my wife) because of the pure joy, relief, and sense of accomplishment I was feeling. I was devastated when I was diagnosed with AVN in both hips, especially being a very active person my entire life. There were many days I didn't think I would ever walk normal again, golf with my dad, or be able to play with my two young boys as they grow up. I am not 100% recovered but I now see that I will be able to do the things I love once again.

I have appreciated everyone's support along the way. I also am grateful for everyone else who shared their stories. There were many nights when I was down during this journey where I would come on this forum and read other people's experiences. It definitely helped calm my nerves and reassured me that I needed to be patient. Everyone's recovery is different. Listen to your body and be patient.

Happy healing to everyone.

Ryan
 
@Rebelguy Excellent update! Congratulations on your progress :yes!:
 
I actually cried on my drive home (don't tell my wife) because of the pure joy, relief, and sense of accomplishment I was feeling.
Aww, I had one of these episodes also. Actually I believe many do, but not all share. It is quite amazing to get this second chance after struggling with pain and feeling disabled and uncertain about your future.

Your post is so dear... I love it! Thanks for sharing all that encouragement with those following behind. I'm very happy for you and just think...its going to get even better! :)
 
What beautiful words from the heart, @Rebelguy. Posts like yours are why we do this work on BoneSmart. It's so wonderful to know that our members are able to return to the things they love and that we take a little of the fear and anxiety out of the process to get there. You're gonna have a GREAT spring!!!
 
:egypdance:
Keep things slow and easy and it just keeps getting better.
New hips rock:happydance:
 
Great update. I love the moments that you can do something you couldn't do awhile ago.
The human body is an amazing machine, we learn to let it do its job.
Happy Sunday.
 
Wonderful update!

I wish you continued good healing. Not to be a Debbie Downer but try to take it in stride if you still have "off days."

It's all part of the process.

Gosh, loved your update!!:loveshwr:
 
Happy One Month Anniversary, Ryan!
I hope you have a great weekend!
@Rebelguy
 
Hi all,

So everything has been going great. Hitting gym every day.

Except….this past Monday I was walking and started til feel slight pain in left hip (left was done first). I hadn’t had pain in this hip for 2 months. I can still put full weight on that hip. It’s more of an annoyance. Has anyone dealt with NEW hip pain?

I texted my surgeon and they said I shouldn’t worry and I should expect these things for a year after surgery.

I recovered so fast. To me it is scary to have a new pain. I’m guessing it relates to my right hip healing and changing gait. Who knows.
 
Remember even the first hip is still healing. Dial back a little on activity and get some extra rest.

I find that recovery from anything (even a cold) takes an extra night of sleep.

Energy drains are real.

You got this Ryan @Rebelguy
 
As the recent recipient of a second hip implant, I can definitely attest to the difference in recovery process. With my first, I ditched the walker after like 4-5 days and was walking with no devices after two weeks. It wasn't a fast walk, but it was stable, mostly pain-free walk. I was just a couple months past 50, so older than you, but still on the young side for THR.

I'm on day 8 now of my second hip (yayyy arthritis!) and I've just moved to the cane from the walker. With this surgery I developed some pretty bad pain in the mid- to lower outer quad area whenever I pushed off with weight. It still hurts but is a more manageable pain than the quite teeth-gritting pain it was for the first week. My sleep has also not been as good with this surgery. I know overall I'm doing well, but I am the victim of my own raised expectations.

I also developed weird pains months after the initial surgery. From my knee to my quad, it would just move around. It all went away after about 4-5 months, but you never quite knew what you were waking up to each day it seemed. You are being very active and good for you. I was too, but your body knows what it can take and what it can't. You had AVN, which is pretty traumatic so it's natural for your body to take a bit longer to recover. Good luck!
 
Hi Ryan,
Those pesky pains that seem to come out of of the blue, then disappear almost as quickly do get our attention. There is a change in gait as our hip deteriorates and then again after joint replacement as our legs adjust to working well in unison. You experienced two major surgeries within a relatively short period of time so lots of healing and adjusting still happening.
Happy Two Month Anniversary, Righty!
Have a wonderful week!
@Rebelguy
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom