THR "Runaround Sue Rocks On to the Other Side"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning Afternoon Everyone :SUNsmile:
I opened up the laptop to find that I am now Runaround Sue! :yay: Thank you so much Jamie! I am trying to think of a good title for Poppet's quote
"Runaround Sue, new hip, new name, maybe new avatar, maybe new thread title.... = new woman! Love it!" Priceless!
Any suggestions? My mind locked up at "Runaround Sue Rocks on to the other side"

I called the OS's office this morning and spoke with the PA. He said go ahead and take the 2 tablets as long as I need them. He said that's what they are there for and if I am still having pain when they are gone just call and let them now. He said they prescribe this quantity so they can judge your progress in the early post op days. It makes sense to me since my first follow up appt. is 4 weeks from surgery day

I just finished my PT, he had me put on shoes and socks and we even took a walk outside. I have a whole new group of exercises and now I am a little sore.
 
Runaround Sue, I see you are using the avatar---guess that means you like it. I also like the title your mind locked on. So I'm going to change it to that. If you think of something you prefer later, we can change it again.

Good your OS is sensible about pain medication---some of them are the pits. Since you're a little sore after PT, I hope you're icing or planning to ice soon. That little bit can grow sometimes!

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
:hairpulling: I'm sorry about the duplicate post, I've deleted it now. I had typed up my first post of the day, clicked the 'post reply' button then went to put a load of clothes into the dryer. When I came back there was a server error on the screen and the post was just sitting there.

I wanted to add some things to that post, I wanted to thank bottomshollow for the wonderful avatar! I feel so special now with this beautiful, custom avatar. I can't thank you enough bottomshollow! Also BeckyR for giving me this fantastic user name, and Jamie for making it all possible now :thankyou: :thankyou: :thankyou:

If it weren't for bonesmart I wouldn't be where and how I am today with my progress! I want to thank everyone on BS and all of the wonderful, caring members. Thanks to BS I had all of the equipment I needed, the comfortable clothes I get to wear throughout my recovery, my well stocked fridge, freezer and cupboards, the new sneaks to get me walking properly, the new lift chair I get to sit in, my new bed that is just the right height and even my OS whom BS taught me to seek out and ask the right questions of!

I went into this surgery sure I would never be the same as I was 2 years ago. With how I feel today and the progress I have made in just 7 short days, I know for certain all of that pain and inability to function is behind me and there is nothing but good in my future!

I feel great today but still a bit groggy, I am icing constantly but am still swollen on either side of the incision line and the wound pain is less today.

Oh! I am 68 years young :) I remember the 50s & 60s. I too had a poodle skirt :heehee: I think all of the music before 1990 was great, but since then I have liked the new age music, some techno (hehehe) and have started to like a little bit of country.

Still awfully slow tho, it took me 45 min. to write this post because of the groggieness and all of the errors I keep making. Seems I have forgotten how to use a laptop
 
[Bonesmart.org] "Runaround Sue  Rocks On to the Other Side"
Runaround Sue, for the avatar. I had fun finding what I needed and putting it together for you. I was in junior and senior high school during the 50's. Love old time rock n' roll. I lived in Nashville, Tennessee during the late 60's, so I learned to like country music then--every radio station played some country and it grew on me. I even like bluegrass, big band from the 40's, pop, semi-classical and some classical---even a little bit of heavy metal (got that from my son), but I despise hip hop.


I'm so pleased that you can already see that the surgery is changing your life for the better so early out. Just follow the mantras and you should have a good recovery.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
I went out about the time we rounded the corner into the hall from the post-op room...I woke back up in the OR about the time I should have been getting my spinal. I was real talkative...wanted to know if this was the OR, why did it look like a storage room, what is all that stuff, what time was it (I was preoccupied with time for the first 48 hours), who are you? While the anesthesiologist and nurse kept telling me I needed to sit forward and be still. Told the nurse if I sat forward I would fall off the table, she said she could hold me, I told her if I fell on her I would crush her...that was the last thing I remembered!

So glad you are on the cane!!!!! Definitely call the OS about pain meds, mine has a step down list and depending on your current pain something is prescribed less potent that your last script. Unfortunately hubby will have to go to the pharmacy again....maybe pin a note to his chest :tada:
 
Runaround Sue bottomshollow GOSH! I remember that song! I wore saddle shoes with big socks (what did we call those big socks -- can't bring the name up) and I even had a felt skirt (red) with a poodle on it. Also another felt skirt with "The 64 Thousand Dollar Question" on it. Remember it -- it was a TV quiz show.

I like just about everything but rap, most hip hop, and almost ALL heavy metal. Makes my head hurt. And most of rap offends my sensibilities (such as they are). How can you sing about what they sing about?? I feel like going up to them and saying "Does your MOTHER know what you are out here singing about??!" Alas, probably most of their mothers DO.

What I miss in most music today are the lovely old romantic love song lyrics -- a la Cole Porter, etc.
 
Good Morning :SUNsmile:

Butterfly those big socks are bobby socks! The skinny things they call bobby socks today are just not the same. I remember "The 64 Thousand Dollar Question" TV show but not that skirt.

BeckyR last night while trying to fall asleep it hit me that you replied to a post about the dry skin and I still hadn't answered you back! I'm sorry! My brains are still jello.

My incision is sore today and a lot of the rest of me as well. The new exercises are tough on an old bird like me. I had a particularly bad cramp down the back of my operated thigh and that still hurts today. I shudder at the thought of doing exercises, a nap sounds like a better idea :yes!:
 
Runaround Sue, Hope you are feeling better. Take naps! You need them! Your exercises sound fairly aggressive this early in the game. If they are too hard for you, speak to your physical therapist and see if they can be scaled back a little bit. There is a restaurant near me that I wish we could go to together. It is called "Ellie's 50s Diner," and I love it. It is totally decorated in the 50s style. All the waitresses wear poodle skirts and bobby socks. There is a "Marilyn Monroe" room, and there are cutouts of Marilyn and Elvis on the doors of the men's and women's rooms. There are jukeboxes with all the 50s songs (though they aren't real -- just mockup jukeboxes) and 50s music playing all day. The items on the menu are all named after 50s hits. For example, an omelette called "Breakin Up is Hard to Do." The place makes me burst into song, and the food is good! I'm going there for lunch tomorrow and will see if "Runaround Sue" is on the menu. If so, I'll let you know what it is.

Rock on!
 
Runaround Sue I was just checking in on you to see how you were feeling? I had you on my mind today and was checking in on you. :)
 
Hi Everyone :SUNsmile:

BeckyR OMG! That place sounds wonderful! I am drooling here! Butterfly how are you doing? You sound a bit more chipper, is your pain better?
medic4355 I am doing great aside from a rough night. Yesterday my PT wondered why I didn't sleep in my bed. The dogs went out to the groomers for a bath in the afternoon so I decided to give it a try, no dirty doggies allowed in my bed.
I couldn't figure out how to keep ice on me so I didn't use any and I think I needed it more than ever after those exercises. I put a pillow between my legs and tried to go to sleep on my back. I couldn't go to sleep so I rolled over on my operated side which is how I normally sleep. OW OW OW OW and more OW! Then I rolled onto my back again. I decided the quilt and sheet pressing on my toes were the problem so I yanked them out from under the mattress. Still too heavy on my toes so I rolled onto the good side and finally went to sleep.
I kept rolling onto the incision and it would jolt me awake. Every time I woke up my mouth was so dry and the pillow that was supposed to be between my legs was next to my head. I must have been pulling it out from under the covers and throwing it up there in my sleep.
4 AM the alarm went off and I took my pill and a big drink, went to potty then set the alarm for 8 AM for the next pill. At 8 the alarm went off and I was in so much pain my first thought was "what the heck have I done in my sleep?" I was sure I had violated some restriction. I took my pill, went to potty and told Hubby I am going back to bed. He brought me coffee and I relaxed a bit waiting for the pill to work.
I got up when I needed another cuppa :mcoffee: and I found the more I walked around I felt better, so I did the exercises again, washed & dressed then did a load of laundry. By the time I hung the clothes out on the line to dry I felt great! It seemed like the more movement I did the better I felt so Hubby and I went for a walk. I didn't make it up the big hill, my leg on the operated side started to drag so we turned around and went back.
I sat down for a break and logged on to BS and got in one post before the PT came. After PT I am back in the chair for some food and an afternoon of reading posts and sipping iced tea.
The sun seemed so much brighter today and I just felt so much more alive. I discontinued the oxycontin controlled relief pill this morning (I still take it PM until gone) and I think that is another reason I felt better and enjoyed the day more. Now that I am weaning off the 12 hour pain meds my recovery is progressing towards normal :bicycle1:
 
Yesterday my poor doggies suffered an ordeal having to go to the groomers for a bath. The little guy was so happy to be home and wanted to cuddle up near me so he inserted himself half under the lift recliner I am always in and went off into a deep, happy, puppy coma snoring his stumpy little face off. I need to get up and potty and was rising the chair, not thinking of anything but that and forgot he was there. I think the poor little guy slept on until the chair was was down then he started to scream :cry: poor baby was so scared:scary:! Luckily he was okay, I hadn't put the chair all the way down to 'lift', just enough to push myself up. It wasn't a good day for him, poor little fluffball.
 
I need a better pill taking schedule, I end up having to stay up 1 hr- 1 1/2 hrs longer than I want to waiting to take a pill. Last night I had to wait for 12:30 AM because I had my alarm set for the 4 o'clock dose wrong. Here I was trying to get ready to go to sleep at 12:45. I figured I would try the bed again even tho the previous night was such a disaster.
I set up my pills, clock, bottle of apple flavored drink and tissues on the bedside table, covered the bed with an extra sheet to protect my quilt from doggie dirt and placed the little doggie on the bed. Went back to the kitchen to put out a bowl of dry food for the cat and got one gravy bone to break in half for the dogs. I went to the bathroom to brush teeth & get into pjs. Ahhh! Finally getting closer to getting into my nice new memory foam bed! I went to ready the bed and was removing decorative pillows and getting other pillows in place when some black thing flew out from under a pillow! :yikes: :shocked: !! I jumped back knocking over my bottle of cold apple drink which splattered my clean sheet, beskirt front & side of bedside table and landing on my nice clean hardwood floor (Molly Maid was here Tuesday). Worse yet there is what looks like a fat scorpion sitting in some apple juice next to the bedside table! Now it is 1 AM, I am sooooo tired and I have a cold mess in my bed and a big bug that could bite me in my room. How am I going to sleep in here now?
I grabbed a bunch of tissues and tried to sop up some apple drink, my mind befuddled by oxy and slowly not figuring out a way to save the situation I did what any other smart, sensible married woman would do, I screamed for hubby! :snork:
I wake him up from his deep sleep since 11:00 PM and yells down from upstairs "What's wrong now"? I tell him about the huge bug in my room and he comes down to help me. He brings a huge flashlight with him to help and has me hold it while he wipes up apple drink from everywhere. He wants to see the huge bug so I tell him that now it has run under the bedside table. He moves the table out and THERE IT IS!!!
A tiny newborn lizard :ok: it looked huge and scary when it jumped out at me then sat on the floor looking at me.
Hubby finally after about 15 more minutes chased it down to just inside the closet, captured it in a bunch of tissues and took it outside.
I finally got closer to bedtime at 1:45 AM when I put a towel over the apple drink mess and crawled into bed. I found a good position halfway between flat on my back and sleeping on my left (good) side and this time the pillow stayed in between my legs all night. I wasn't eaten alive by a huge bug but I am awfully sleepy :yawn: this morning.
Sometime I will tell you about the frog on my kitchen counter.
 
[Bonesmart.org] "Runaround Sue  Rocks On to the Other Side"
Runaround Sue, what a story!!!!!:rotfl: Bet is wasn't funny to you last night! Best laid plans of mice and men oft go astray as the poet said. I can't wait to hear about the frog on the counter when you have time. Maybe things will work out better tonight for you.


Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
Oh my gosh Runaround Sue that story is so funny (but not at the time, I know that well!). Made me laugh!! I had to get my hubby to come kill ceiling/wall spiders a few times after I was in bed. Let's hear about the frog, pretty please??:bow:

found the more I walked around I felt better, so I did the exercises again, washed & dressed then did a load of laundry. By the time I hung the clothes out on the line to dry I felt great! It seemed like the more movement I did the better I felt so Hubby and I went for a walk. I didn't make it up the big hill, my leg on the operated side started to drag so we turned around and went back.
I remember this phase well! I would wake up from my last portion of sleep just feeling like a Mack truck was in my immediate past, but moving around was so releasing. One morning I couldn't sleep for discomfort, and got up at 5:00-ish to do PT. Felt great! And there was plenty of napping after. Your comment about needing a better pill taking schedule was also my experience-- I was staying up till midnight and past, being on an "every 6 hours" schedule. I don't think I got rid of the weird scheduling till I was able to skip the early morning dose.

You sound great, and I totally missed your transition from Didoan to Sue, so I had no idea who it was I was running into here and there on the forum LOL...

"The 64 Thousand Dollar Question" on it. Remember it -- it was a TV quiz show.
And when $64,000 was actually a lot of money, too!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom