Guest viewing is limited

THR "Runaround Sue Rocks On to the Other Side"

Status
Not open for further replies.
How are you feeling today? I'm sore and stiff, but just got done walking 5x down the hallway now and I'll be doing my exercises in a bit. Then, it's naptime! I'm a little swollen, so I am elevated and iced.[/quote]


Jojool It could be they gave you the spinal and haPPY jUIce mixed all together and it was lights out for you. I was making funny all the way to the OR and then they had me answer questions and position myself before 'lights out".

I remember the recovery room, asking for and drinking a diet coke immediately then lifting my opposite leg so they could x ray then sitting up to see it.

My hubby just sleeeps and sleeeps all day! He just can't seem to function or focus on anything. He did not have any fever at all but it seems his brain is woozier than mine right now.

I am feeling fine. This morning I got up and went to the kitchen and washed last nights dishes, cleaned the stove and wiped the counters. Then I went to my bed to do my exercises. After that I washed up, brushed my teeth and dressed. Then I went to the kitchen and asked hubby to make me a cheese sandwich.I have been in the chair since :)

My wound still hurts, it is hot and sore and swollen. We can't keep up with the ice. I sure envy you your procedure, the hard plastic toilet seat hurts :groan:
 
Exactly didoan, in the scheme of things.. What does it matter. When I was nursing I inserted in heaps of catheters.. It is all about concentrating and remembering the anatomy class... You are doing very well.. :)

Do take care that you don't overdo moving around and doing too much... rest hon! elevate, and yes keep those ice packs going..
 
Good Morning Everyone! :SUNsmile:
I am very sleepy this morning and am slow getting started. I am feeling much less pain in my surgical wound today. I took 2 oxy every four hours starting at 8:20 PM and that is probably the reason for having less pain and being so groggy. I want to try 1 oxy with tylenol next dose, I hope the pain doesn't come back but I don't like the groggy.
An ice bag leaked on all of my clothing last evening, even the hoodie I was wearing to keep warm!. Luckily my chair didn't get too wet and I was still able to sleep in it tho' I am able to get in and out of bed. I am just afraid that I will cross my legs or hurt my new hip somehow. I didn't mind changing, into pjs early, the softer material is far more comfortable and I didn't feel guilty about getting out of the TED monsters :wink: I think the hair on my legs is starting to grow and is getting snagged in the weave of the TED monsters :yikes:
I think I will go and do my exercises then take a shower and see if that gets my brain into working mode. I spent months loading up on books to read during my recovery and now I can't seem to keep anything in print in focus. Not good!
See 'ya later :)
 
didoan, Miralax really keeps me regular and isn't harsh like laxatives. You mix a capful with anything you drink, hot or cold. I put it in my morning coffee. You can't taste it, and it isn't gritty or anything like that. It is the only thing that ever worked for me.

Mollyb, There are pros and cons to the different health care systems. From what I've read on this forum (and elsewhere) there are often LONG waits for elective surgery like hip replacement in the Canadian system, and you aren't free to choose your own doctor. On the other hand, everyone is insured. I hope America's new (still evolving system) will get everyone covered while still preserving the freedom of choice that is so important to most of us. It is going to take a while, even under the best circumstances. I think the ideal solution would have been something like (American) Medicare for all. Medicare really works well here and it has many options for people with different priorities. There was enormous resistance when Social Security was created in 1935 and when Medicare and Medicaid were introduced in 1965. Medicaid is still controversial (in many quarters), but few Americans would eliminate Medicare or Social Security at this point. Eventually, I hope (and believe) we will iron things out with the universal health insurance plans, too. But I don't think Americans will accept the long waiting times and lack of freedom to choose your own doctors that England and Canada have.
 
Didoan, I just saw your post on Riley's thread, and I wanted to respond.
1. In the US, our doctors are downright paranoid about prescribing narcotic drugs...especially Oxy. They have the feds breathing down their necks if it looks like they prescribe too much too often. So they err on the side of overcaution, and put the burden on us patients to be squeaky wheels. That makes us think they think we are turning into addicts. We aren't. So start squeaking, girl.

2. Oxy IS potent. And it gets you through the very early days. But vicodin is pretty potent too. So is tylenol, which is why it's often combined with vicodin. Also many of us get an rx for a non-narcotic as well....in my case it was tramadol.....which also can give very effective relief when it's alternated with vicodin, and lessens the concern about getting addicted to the narcotic.

3. Everyone's tolerance is different. Everyone's reactions are different. You probably have a good sense of what works for you...and what doesn't. Call your OS tomorrow morning, and make it clear that you are in more pain than you should be, and you need some help to get past the first difficult weeks. If your OS won't help, then contact your family physician/general practitioner and work through him/her instead.

4. We've seen a fair number of folks come through these forums over the last few years since the anterior approach has surged in popularity (and now the Superpath). Some of them report how all they needed was some tylenol and they feel great. I'm sure they report that back to their doctors, and so the doctors think if that works for some people, it should work for everyone. Hah! Don't you wish those doctors had a few surgeries done to themselves? That would be an eye-opener for sure. It's wonderful for those folks who get by on very little pain medication, but they are in the minority.

5. You have to listen to your own body. Get your pain relief sorted out, and then stay on it consistently for a couple of weeks. Start cutting back very gradually....one little change at a time while you assess how it works. I promise you won't be a drug addict if you keep taking pain meds for two months or even longer. (Are there people who DO have a drug problem as a result of over-using prescribed medications? Yes....of course there are. They aren't generally the ones who take the time to ask intelligent questions and get feedback here on a good forum.)

Hope this helps. This recovery has it's ups and downs, but being under-medicated should not be one of them.

Sharon
 
didoan, sharonslp, Even though I had the SuperPath, I'm still taking pain meds (Vicodin). I no longer take them round-the-clock, but I find I need 2-3/day, usually in the late afternoon and at night. My doctor just renewed my prescription, and when I saw him on Thursday he told me not to worry about it, that I was doing well, and my use of Vicodin wasn't out of line. Keep in mind that all his hip patients have the SuperPath procedure. He told me that many of his patients are still using Vicodin at 10 weeks, and that my taking 2-3/day at 5 weeks was certainly well within reason. Everyone's pain threshhold is different. I don't think it is especially heroic to stop taking the pain meds if I'm still taking pain. I think my recovery goes better if I am pain-free. I don't take them earlier in the day, mostly because I don't need them then, and also because I can't drive if I've taken Vicodin. I don't think it affects my thinking, but I don't want to take a chance and I don't think it would be responsible to drive while on it.
 
sharonslp Thanks for explaining about the doctor's paranoia concerning narcotics, esp. oxy :) The primary I had for almost 20 years knows how unlikely it is that I would become an addict. He has prescribed everything for me except oxy over the years. I was prescribed Vicodin almost 5 years ago and never even asked for a refill. That was when I had the melanoma surgery and the Vicodin did not work. It was a 6 inch incision on my arm and a 2 inch incision under my arm (armpit) to remove several lymph nodes.The incisions were not as deep, but the underarm one was very painful for about 2 months.

Last Sept. when the arthritis got so bad I finally did ask for a new prescription and did not refill that one either. I still have about 35 left out of that 100, so now I have 135. I told the OS narcotics do not work for me and I reminded the PA about that at the pre-op. The only thing that relieves pain for me is aspirin, really, just plain old aspirin, not even tylenol or any of those other aspirin substitutes. I am weird. If only I did not have to take this xarelto stuff I could take aspirin. I have about 8 days to go.

Evidently I have a cast iron stomach as aspirin has gotten me through so many painful things for 68 years:) Funny thing is when my old Primary had me try Tramadol it gave me GI pain!
 
didoan aka Runaround Sue, I forgot that you are a melanoma survivor. That was an amazing victory, and I am so glad you made it through. You will be feeling better very soon, and it won't be long until you can take aspirin again. I hate Tramadol. There is something about it that makes me feel paranoid and uptight. Not really sick, but sick-ish. And I can't sleep when I take Tramadol. If I do fall asleep, I get nightmares. That stuff is pure poison to me!
 
I have to ask again about this numbness in my left thigh. It's mainly the 12 or so inches above the knee of the UN-operated leg. I am at times having a burning pain there as well. If this was in the operated leg I would be very worried but I think it is strange that it is there.

All of the skin on my body and scalp is very dry, itchy and uncomfortable. Is that normal? I moisturize well and then dry up in just several hours. My discharge instructions say I can't use any cream or lotion on the wound but it would be impossible to do so with all of those steri-strips there.

The PT let my hubby scan the surgery report and we learned that the OS used a Corail stem and a Pinnacle cup. Hubby is back in the family room trying to decipher the OS's notes to see what material the ball and socket is. I had asked the PA that the OS please not use a ceramic ball. The reason being I have read that it is not recommended for seniors because they fall and ceramic can break.
 
didoan, only an admin can change a user name. I'll tag Jamie for you to change it to Runaround Sue. And I will work on an avatar for you.
 
I hope that doesn't mean you are going to turn into 'Runaround Sue'.. slow and steady babe.... but I like the forward thinking Sue :)

Just curious, do you mean your thread title?
 
I will change your username for you right away.

Poof! It's done!!! Did you intend to leave the thread title the same? I can also change it if you like.
 
Runaround Sue, I have found an avatar that I thought you might like to use. It is already sized to fit perfectly as I have tested it. On a PC, just right click on the attached picture and "save image as" in your picture files. Then hover your mouse of your user name at the top of the page and from the drop down menu select "Avatar". The click the browse button and find the picture in your files and double click it. Then click "Okay"and you are done. On an iPad, hold your finger on the image and you will be presented with the options to copy or save the image. Choose 'save the image' go to your user name, top of screen and select Avatar and then choose 'existing choice' and apply and bingo you have your new avatar.

[Bonesmart.org] "Runaround Sue  Rocks On to the Other Side"


If you are not interested, my feelings will not be hurt. I just enjoy doing this when the opportunity presents itself.

Also do you want to change your thread title? If you do, just let us know what you want.
 
Runaround Sue, new hip, new name, maybe new avatar, maybe new thread title.... = new woman! Love it!
 
Runaround Sue, My skin was very dry after surgery, too. I found I was drinking gallons of water, but not urinating an equivalent amount. I think the body was using all the water to rebuild itself. Are you very thirsty, too? Keep drinking water!
 
Runaround Sue, Here's a link to an original performance of Runaround Sue by Dion and the Belmonts, courtesy of YouTube I love the avatar Judy sent you of Runaround Sue in her poodle skirt. Are you going to use it? Hope so! (Of course, it's your choice!) Do you remember that song from the 50s? Your age isn't listed, so I don't know if you were around at the dawn of rock-n-roll.
 
[Bonesmart.org] "Runaround Sue  Rocks On to the Other Side"
BeckyR, loved the YouTube video---takes me way, way back!! I remember the 50's vividly---in many ways it seems like a better time.
 
bottomshollow, So glad you loved the song. The music of the 50s takes me back to my childhood; the music of the 60s was when I was coming of age (high school, college). I stopped following popular music after the early 70s, which was really the end of the 60s. I've always loved classical music, folk music, bluegrass, and lots of other kinds of music, too. But the more recent pop music doesn't speak to me.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom