TKR RTKR March 3, 2015 so happy I got replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure what I did yesterday but knee hurts like crazy. I have iced and elevated but nothing seems to help. I slept horrible last night too. I am wondering if I sat in my chair too long yesterday
 
Swelling and pain is down today. I do have some stiffness and it is raining here today. I do feel some clicking today and PT says thats scar tissue.
 
I'm finding rain = misery, the first few times I couldn't figure out why the knee felt so crappy since I'd asked my PT about it and was assured the arthritis wasn't there anymore "so there's nothing that the weather can hurt". :no-fin:
 
maybe it is in our head but it does mess with it.
 
I think the arthritis was replaced with severed bone ends, maybe they'll stop hurting so much once they heal but for now rainy weather is miserable. And I'd lay money it's not just in our heads.
 
just took a hot bath and boy it that feel great on my knee. Stiff feeling is gone. I was worried about getting out of the tub but it was easier than I thought.
 
I did pool therapy and enjoyed it. My quads are sore but knee feels great. She had me walk the length of the pool twice and then twice backwards, i used the stairs for hamstring stretches, then I had to step on to bottom step pushing off be op knee 10 times and than step down on op knee. I did lunges in the pool, squats, leg lifts and side leg lifts. It was a great session. I have one more Thursday. I am considering joining the Y so I can do some more on my own.

I am considering asking my DR on May 7th for my check up if we can do my left knee this summer. I am not sure if he will or not. I was going to wait til next year but was thinking since I am taking summer off from any work ( am a teacher but usually waitress in summer) why not recovery than instead of having to take next summer off too. I want to do the next one in the summer time so I do not have to worry about missing school and because winter in Maine can be tricky. If I have it done in June it would be 3 months between surgeries. What do you all think? So far this recovery has not been too bad but I know each one is different.
 
Mine were 6 weeks apart. The 2nd knee is a bit more sore & slower to come back strength-wise. It might have been better for me to have waited a little longer but the other knee was just as bad as the first so that was not a good option either. You'll probably be just fine and there won't be the pressure to return to work before you are ready.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Ty I am gonna ask. I am not sure he will do it now or not.




Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Tracey, so cool about the pool! I'm all set to try the stuff you mentioned. :yay:
 
Yesterday my knee felt so good I forgot I just had surgery 7 1/2 weeks ago but this am my shins and calves are hurting.
 
Yesterday my knee felt so good I forgot I just had surgery 7 1/2 weeks ago but this am my shins and calves are hurting.
Hey Tracey, have you tried rolling a tennis ball into the muscles of your shin and calf? Since I started doing that the pain has almost disappeared.
 
No but I will try it. I iced the shin and heated the calf and it feels better
 
Yesterday my knee felt so good I forgot I just had surgery 7 1/2 weeks ago but this am my shins and calves are hurting.
That shin pain and the migrating pains are all to be expected.

As for getting your next one done, if you are ready, get'r done! Some on the forum have had the second one replaced days or weeks after the first one. I also was a teacher for 37 years, so I can understand your concerns for the timing as well as for the winter months, too.
 
I was only out for 3 weeks on this one but I teach alternative ed for middle schooler they need consistancy
 
I wanted to have my BTKR during the summer months, but the OS was booked---I talked to him in February, but the next opening was in November!!!

I ended up having my BTKR November 8th of 2007, and I stayed home until school resumed after Christmas break. I thought I would be OK, but it was a little early and I paid the price for it. In the end, though, everything worked out alright.
 
My OS looked at my non op knee at my 6 week. He thinks I will be okay for a while. So it didn't hurt like the right did pre-op. The right took a lot of damage early on. So the jury is still out on my second.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I went back to work 3 weeks after this surgery Ref. I know each surgery is different. I have the time that I can take off but honestly what I was doing at home I could do at school so dr cleared me to go back. I am able to ice, elevate, and rest. I actually feel better working because I tend to sit around more when I am home.
 
I rejoined Weight watchers last night and hopefully that if I get some of this weight off and get more active I will feel better. I have done WW twice before and lost 85 each time. I do not have as much to lose this time but still have a good amount to get off.
 
Didn't you loose weight after surgery? I lost 23 pounds due to loss of appetite.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom