Guest viewing is limited

TKR RTKR March 3, 2015 so happy I got replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took me about 6 or 7 weeks for sleep to get better and the pillow between the knees allowed me to sleep on my side....good luck

Vinny
 
Really wish I could sleep on my side!! I can manage ten minutes on my right side before it starts to ache, the left side is almost impossible.
 
PT was good today. I told her I was in pain for 3 days after PT and she said well I guess we pushed it too far. I did some exercises and then she ices top, heated the bottom of the knee and used electric therapy. I left with a 103 ROM which is down but knee is swollen a little. It was not painful though when I left.
 
I have been heating the back of my knees and it has helped a lot getting the stiffen of the tendons loosened. I ice on top and heat on the bottom
 
Those sleep issues can certainly be pesky little boogers---that was the second most-frustrating aspect of my BTKR recovery. Be patient, sleep when you can, and realize that it will subside in time.

You can use a heating pad on your quads and on your hamstrings to allow the muscles to become more pliable and flexible. Then you can gently stretch them and apply ice after you are done.

I would not apply heat to the surgical knee at all, as heat will allow the body to send more fluids to the site and cause more stiffness.
I told her I was in pain for 3 days after PT and she said well I guess we pushed it too far.
It is good that you commiunicated this with the PT---take it to the point of discomfort and no further. Let her know what your body is telling you.

I left with a 103 ROM which is down but knee is swollen a little. It was not painful though when I left.
That is OK--remember, recovery is not linear--you will have some good days, some mediocre days, and some real clunkers, too. you will have some plateaus in there, as well---recovery looks more like this:
[Bonesmart.org] RTKR March 3, 2015 so happy I got replacement


Notice that, while the trend for recovery is upward, there are still some days when things do not quite fit into place.
 
good idea on the quads. I have been massaging them but heat would help.
 
PT was good today. I have one band of tightness right on the bend of the knee. It is the only place on the knee that feel the elastic feeling. She used this tool that looked like a file to massage the area. The area is not painful just tight and it seemed to loosen some but still swollen. I did get to ROM of 109 today. Tuesday makes 7 weeks since surgery. I have not taken pain pills except Tylenol for at least a week because I am not in any pain. I am doing 2 pool sessions next week and look forward trying that out.
 
Tracey, what exercises do they recommend for the pool?
 
I am not sure yet as I will have a PT person with me. I will let you know Tuesday after I go
 
Tracey, what exercises do they recommend for the pool?
I have hydrotheraphy and we do walking forward backwards sideways long strides running on spot and then on toes bringing knees up high as can then running forward and backwards forward and slide style splits opposite leg to arm also weights on ankles
We do work with floats so holding in water slightly bent knee and movement from one side to other also squats and opposite knee up to hand on float up onto toes stretching exercises on side holding bar also kicking leg up I front then keeping straight taking through to back also out to front circular round to back
Sorry about description but gives you an idea and we have physio in water with us just four in class and hot pool 36 degrees


20/01/2015
 
Thank you, Homeport, I can visualize most of those. I'll do my own hydro at the condo pool when we get there in about three weeks. Ill make a list of yours and Tracey's exercises to take over to the pool and give them a go.
 
I am hoping the pool will help with bending the knee. Last night I was woken a couple times because during the knee my knee bent too far while I was sleeping and the sharp pain quickly woke me up.
 
@tracey10 Congrats on your great recovery. I, too, am thrilled with my new knee. I'm 8 weeks out and doing most everything. Stairs still a challenge, but I'm getting there. Pre-surgery, I was limping when I waked. The pain from osteoarthritis kept me from most activities. Had to sit after being on my feet after 10 minutes or so. OS recommended exercise classes to strengthen my knee prior to surgery. The pre-surgery classes are becoming common practice around here. It really did help, to the point that I thought maybe I didn't need surgery after all. But I knew my knee wasn't going to get any better from the arthritis. My surgery was 2-18-15 and I had in-home PT therapy twice a week for 4 weeks as the weather here turned into snow/ice for over a month and I really didn't want to travel to PT. I began therapy on day 3 with ROM 4/90. The in-home therapist was wonderful and never pushed me to pain. I worked a little between visits, but not much. Moving my knee just seemed to come easier than I expected. At week 4, I was discharged from in-home PT. She measured my ROM, asking me what I was hoping for. I replied I would be happy with 95.. She asked, is that all? She was measuring at the time. I said, well, how about 100. It was 0/116. She told me that most people were discharged from out patient therapy with a ROM of that number. I just finished 4 weeks of out patient therapy. Once again, they never pushed me to pain. I was ready both times to speak up after perusing posts on Bonesmart! My last session was Thursday, ROM 0/125, 8 weeks post surgery. I know a recovery is not always this easy, but I wanted to post some good news to give hope for those considering surgery.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thats is awesome. I am happy you are doing so well. My numbers were better with the in house PT but the out patient measures when I am laying down where the in house measured when I was sitting in the chair. Does any one know if this really makes a different. I do feel I can bend more in a seated position. I usually sit reclining on a chair but today I have been sitting more in my computer chair and it seems to be helping my knee stiffen less.
 
@tracey10 all of my ROM measurements were taken lying down. I'm like you, I feel I get more ROM sitting in a chair.
 
My ROM made it to 0/120 on Friday. PT let me know we are done unless doctor orders more. I was really hoping I could get him to let me do hydro therapy. What argument can I use?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Some PT practices, will let you use their facilities after discharge for a small fee. Give them a call and ask.
 
I was talking to my PT person one day and said you guys just built this beautiful building why didnt you put a pool in it for therapy and she said we contract with the local YMCA. One of the trainers goes there from 2-4 and does 1/2 sessions. She asked if I wanted to try it and I jumped at the chance. Membership for the Y is 52.00 a month. I am considering doing that so I can use the gym and the pool.
 
We have a fitness center at my school that I use whenever I want but no pool there.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom