TKR RTKR Done Looking Forward to the Future

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good job advocating for yourself. We all need to do that at times.
 
Tramadol is a perfect companion drug to paracetamol. In fact, Ultracet is Tramadol and paracetamol combined!
I took both throughout my recovery and for 4 whole months.

Also do remember that the info says it can cause slow breathing not that it will. As it happens, it's a drug which the majority of people find is very low on side effects.
 
You don't want to take narcotics other than as prescribed--but they are prescribed for a reason. You have pain.
 
@Jamie I try not to but when I came back to work I drove the first week and a half so I and I was to scared to take them before I drov so I waited untill I got to work but looking back I think I should have kept it up and also kept taking the night oxycontin.

Im a bit unsure about the tramadole becasue when I was in hospital one of the drugs made me feel sick and dizzy but i really dont know which one so I didnt take tramadol I thouht of taking one just to see if that was it.

To be truthful I dont think I am fuctioning 100% either. Last night when I got of the train it was on the other side of were my car was and there is a walk way but take quit a while to get around so I took the stairs very slow and made sure it want painful but I seem to be paying fr it now and last night as I woke at around 10.30 pm and couldnt really go back to sleep as my calf and leg was a little achy and today both legs seem to be a litte sore.
 
@Josephine si tramadole known to make you dizzy or sick as I a not sure which one did out of the endone oxycontin ad tramadol while I was in hospital.

I take just endone and panadine now but I dont think it is enough.

I do seem to be getting headaches a lot but im not sure if it is due to lack of sleep or the endone or panadine.

Its proberbly eveything.

J
 
Stairs can be tough. Given that you are back to work already, try to do what you can to take it easy on your knees. For example, ordinarily I do stairs about 3 times a day at work. I'm trying to keep it to once a day for now--especially on the up b/c it's still causing me some pain.
 
Good morning afternoon or evening

I am a little sore today and was yesterday and last night. My day yesterday was at work were I sat for a bit got up quite a few times to attend to people go to the loo get lunch or drink. I try to move my leg a little here and there while sitting and that could be stretching lifting heal pumps anything really but not a lot.

When I got home again my train was on the other side so I took the stairs I didn't put a lot of pressure on my tkr leg and took it slow.

All day it seemed a little sore and stiff when I kept getting up to walk and by last night it was sore and a little swollen so I had tea and set iced and elevated.

As I have a bad night the night before I couldn't keep my eyes open so I went to bed and iced and elevated.
I woke a couple of times to go to the toilet and my knee was sore in a few different place and there was a feeling of a tearing feeling above the knee at the front it was bad so I rubbed it and it's nearly gone but also iced and elevated every time I woke.

My both legs seem a bit sore in the thigh and just my legs in general I'm assuming the stairs done this.

What I am a bit worried about is would that be lack of excises and not doing enough to strengthen my legs also i still use crutches to give me a bit of help and I worry if I didn't have them I would be worse.

The other thing that I am now havering more of an issue is my fallen arches are really playing up and making it hard to walk long and also a bit uneven as I try to walk so they don't hurt plus my bad knee will not cooperate with the new one and I feel like I walk like a robot as my bad knee is really hurting and just does not like the knew knee which also causes my back to really hurt and stiffen up.

Hope it's not to long thank you in advance for taking the time to read this.

J
 
@kneeper there were 2 sets of stairs going up and down I didn't think this would be a problem but I think it may be until they get a bit stronger if I don't take them the walk is up 2 flights then down 2 flights and takes a bit longer. I was very surprised a big disappointed when I couldn't go down stairs normally I didn't relies it would be a problem as the knee bends a bit but now see not enough for going down the stairs.

J
 
Stairs will come more easily over time. For now just pace yourself.
 
I'm sorry to be sooking I just wanted to add that now my hip is hurting a bit I don't think it is use to walking with a new knee and it's letting me no.

J
 
Jul, it's a good bet that you are not functioning at 100% right now. You are pushing your body to the max trying to work and deal with your pain. You know your body can only take so much. This is why we're trying to get you to rethink what you're doing and hopefully find a way to slow down to let your body rest and heal.

More than likely it was not the Tramadol that made you ill in hospital. I suggest you give it a try. But you're going to need to take it regularly, not just when you feel pain for it to really help you.

Now that's it's the weekend, take these next two days to do absolutely NOTHING other than some gentle bends and stretches throughout the day. Only get up to walk about your house every hour or so. Ice and elevate constantly and take pain meds on a schedule. I'm betting if you do this you'll feel better by Sunday evening.
 
@Jamie I think you are right it is a huge change to my body due to the way I have functioned and walked for the last 20 or so years now my hips back ankles and other parts are so use to the way I walked that it's all creating havoc everywhere. I think I was walking like a penguin in the end and my knees started to bow inward a bit and I didn't realise until the os told me they were bowed.

I have new orthotics now and I can only put them in my shoes for a short bit because my body needs to realign with the new orthotics.

Today Saturday I rested in bed until about 2 only got up to the toilet attended to the animals make a cup of tea each time got back into bed slept iced when I could and elevated.

I have also only done some gentle heel slides but could you please tell me what sort of stretches are good while resting.

While doing this my hip back and knee hurts so I tried different positions while trying to get comfortable but I did get some sleep which I must have needed it so I took advantage of it.

I have to say people have said to me my face looks different like fresh or glowing a bit and I thought to my self I must have been in awful pain before my LTKR for it to show on my face. They even say you walk different.

Thankyou for taking the time to read my post @Jamie.

Jul
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Also I'm sorry if I repeat myself all the time I forget what I have posted.

J
 
Hi Guys
I had a comment toay that made me feel a bit dissapointed in myself they said i don't walk any different to before I had my LTKR

Thats it in a nut shell

J
 
Well who would say that to you? Is it someone in the medical field? You can listen and feel badly or you can say "screw it" and not fall down the trap of despair! Recovery is unpredictable even though we do everything we can to control the outcome and the road it travels

Cheryl
 
I had a comment today that made me feel a bit disappointed in myself they said i don't walk any different to before I had my LTKR
Ignore this person, they are missing the subtle changes.
A medical person will help you with your gait, not criticize you.
 
What an ignorant person. We are all different as our individual knees. I honestly pay no attention to people that think like that. My knees and recovery are both different. If after all this I end up limping I wouldn't care if it meant no pain and being able to actually walk!
 
You're still recovering. This isn't an instantaneous process. Besides, I'm sure you're doing better. But you're right, your body has been compensating for so long that now you feel it in your muscles etc. when you try to walk "normally." This too shall pass. :)
 
What I am a bit worried about is would that be lack of excises and not doing enough to strengthen my legs
Then stop worrying! You will cause more tissue inflammation and pain by doing too much exercising. And didn't you just say you walked up several flights of stairs? That's a good work out all on its own!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom