TKR RTKR Done Looking Forward to the Future

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Jul,
Just wanted to call in and tell you, I have read your posts and I think you are doing SUPER. I am in awe that you are back going to work, getting up early and getting through the day. Be gentle with yourself and just know that you are doing good. Well done with the bike full rotation and the exercises you do on top of it all.
I hope the sleeping at night situation gets better. I'm 10 weeks now and once I get to sleep ( takes a while) I stay asleep. This had only been happening a few weeks.
Ice when you can, I ice as much as I can for pain.
Take care,
Deb.
 
@jeano
The Lord works in mysterious way, and the way for you was ice !

Take care,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
Thanks @HerbM Ill have a look.

@jeano Lol I think I will today as it is a bit sore.

Good morning aftenoon or evening were ever you may be I have arrived at work after a bit of a drive in very wet and rainy weather.

I would like to ask about my knee today.

Yestrday it started to feel a bit sore and a little weired only way to explain it and I havent really done much my day getting up for work getting ready driving to work while at work sit most of the time but while sitting my chair is on rollers so tha is how Ill get around if i need to using both legs I bend and push to were I need to in my office which is not small and not carpet so easy to got around. I walk with no crutchs most of the time at home and at the office a bit of the time or with one or both depending on how I feel.

I no I should be doing more exicises but I am still building up from years of being not able to do much to all of a sudden been told to get up and do leg lifts beds walk ride

I get up a few time to go to the loo ad get a drink or lunch and just to get up sometimes while sitting ill lift my TKR knee a few times just to get it moving.

I did try the bike last night just to see if that would annoy it and it was a little sore so I didnt push it.

I had not a bad sleep on and of and my knee let it know it was there and not so happy so I just kept it up on a pillow on my back as much as i could.

Today its a little sore and weired touching it like a bit numb i suppose and a litte tight.

What worries me is that I havent done a lot of exicises for it to be acting up is this normal.

J
 
With my first knee I was self conscious going out with a walker at first. By the second knee I didn't care. Ice at work when you can. You can always play the sympathy card with your clients. :heehee:
 
You might want to get up and walk sometimes rather than rolling so much. I know keeping my leg down and sitting for a length of time makes my knee stiff and sore and I'm further out than you are.
 
@kneeper I try not to worry about he crutches. I do get a and walk when I can like to help a client I need ot gt up and sometimes walk over to them to assist them and also to do minner things around my office.

It funny how al the other ailments start to show there face like my wrist on my left is killing me I no I have artritits is it but it more sore now than before. I think it is the crutches.

Ive been trying to move the knee a bit and ice it when I can here at work so that it doesnt stiff up.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
oops was nodding of at my desk hope no one noticed. I very rarely do that.
 
@jul

Catching a little rest at your desk is what you needed at the time.
Sure that your office colleagues know that you need it!:chillpill:

It's if you were to start snoring they might object :rotfl:

Cathie
 
@jul You need to get up every hour and move around, sitting too long in one position will stiffen the knee right up! Make sure you do some ankle pumps while sitting there. To judge your ROM is pretty easy, a right angle is 90 degrees, if it was bent all the way back to be even with your thigh that would be 180 degrees, half way would be about 135. Ice when you can, and move the leg around when you can.
 
@marmora No they dont really understand im gladthey didt notice if i had of snored then I would have been caught out.

@tiredwife I do get up as much a I can do a few things while sitting.

Im not sure aoutthe ROM I might think it is far but then the PT has messured it and its no as far as i thought.

It funny how you cn feel good one miniute and then a few hours later not sre how you feel but being Friday here I am hppy I can have a little sleep in.

When I first had my LTKR done I was told tha I would be skipping out of the hospital and also the PT's pushed me to more that th knee wouldlet it but I wasnt in a lot of pain like some on here and even now im not but I also i havnt been pushing myself so then you think mmm is this right.

I did try the bike yesterday to seehow that was and I di lower the seat so there was bit of stiffness but was able to get fall roatation slowerly.
 
Could I also ask a question about weight if you dont mind if you do thats fine.
I wold like to kow if anyone else on here is a little over weight an has had a good recovery as I gained weight due to the lack of exicises I was able to do before this opp in the end I couldnt wlak far with out needing to rest I have been on holidays and couldnt go to far ad fee I have missed a lot of my holiday due to this.

I do find it a little difficult trying to get back the fitnss I had years ago and thought when i woke up from this I was going to be skipping bike riding and doing all sorts of things (Well that is what the surgeon told me anyway).

J
 
@jul
That's a very good question.

About 2 years ago I was 10 stone & 5 pounds/ 66 kilos (145 pounds).
After Left knee Arthroscopy in August 2012 and left foot surgery in February 2013, found weight creeping up.

Partly being less active and mainly as I love going out to eat with family & friends and being less careful.

On the day of my LTKR, my admission weight was 13 stone 8 pounds/ 86 kilos (190 pounds).

So, on week 7 post-op, I rejoined Weight Watchers and my weigh in on Wednesday 27 July I was 13 stone 3/86.3kilos (185 pounds).

As per the Irish post-op TKR & THR recommendation, you are to build up to a 30 minute walk, three times per day by week 6 post-op. Not concerned about speed, as you will be going slow, just the time. Think that this is helping with building up fitness and weight loss.

I hope to help my recovery and pressure on my TKR knee & 'good' knee and get back to hill walking.

Made a promise to myself on the second day post-op while stilling hospital and sent a text to 12 of my friends to walk The Camino Way in 2015, at the moment 6 of my good friends are coming also.

I want to get back to a fitness level that will allow me to do most of the activities I enjoy.

Do realise that after a TKR and with increasing age, things will not be the same - but want to get a better level of fitness than I have now.

Know also that it will be a long recovery and feel that my trying slowly through Weight Watchers to eat a healthy balanced diet it will aid in my all round recovery.

WoW ! Being so honest on the internet about my weight is a first !
But, writing it down and sharing actually is feeling very motivational.

On October 11,2014 - will update on my weight loss progress.
That's making it another goal for me.

Take care,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
@jul hubby is almost 80 pounds overweight. Was about 100 pounds overweight before the TKRs now is about 80 pounds over weight. He is having a great recovery. First one was a little easier than the 2nd.
 
The important thing is to ease in to the exercise and listen to the knee. After the first knee I started watching what I ate (most of the time) and doing *some* exercise and I lost and have kept off about 15 pounds. I have about 20 more to go and am feeling optimistic because I know I'll be able to be more active with 2 good knees.
 
@marmora I am glad you felt comfortable enough to tell me and also share what you are going through. It is a very hard road with weight but you sound very positive about what you want and that is great.

@kneeper I am trying to ease into it but it is hard because i haven't been a very active person since this arthritis took control but i know there are people out there that would disagree and say if you want to loose weight you will.

I should be about 20 Kg lighter and i am seeing that it is slowly coming of and also making sure i take it slow.

I have notice that my right knee isn't liking the new one i find it a bit difficult to walk properly because the old knee hurts quite a bit now and I'm trying to find a balance in both until i have my RTKR.

The other problem i have is i have a fallen arch in my LTKR and since having my op it has got worse so this make its hard to walk for long disstances i do have orthotics but now need new ones.

Can anyone suggest really comfy shoes that i can put orthotics into in Australia.

J
 
I weigh 200# and "should" weigh no more than about 165 to escape being categorized as obese. Big deal. I have had an excellent recovery from my first pkr, and seem to be having another excellent recovery with my second. I also have had various challenges with my feet and have orthotics. And after a brief honeymoon my right knee declared war on my new left knee. They are both getting on much better now.

I cannot advise on STYLISH comfy shoes for orthotics on your or any other continent.. I use mine in men's running shoes and cowboy boots and have also put them in my God Fearing Blundstone boots. I have much better luck with men's shoes in general because I have a very high, rigid arch and bunions. The average woman's last is neither deep or wide enough to leave room for my foot after the orthotic goes in the shoe. My orthotist approves of New Balance shoes, especially, because they are deep. 90% of the time I wear Crocs Rx that have their own cushioned, removable insole.

My 'dressy' women's shoes are a pair of Clarkes. They are cloggy slip ones, nearly flat, fairly comfortable but I wouldn't try to walk more than a block or two in them.
 
You might be able to get the orthotics adjusted, depending on what kind you have. I did that once I was a ways into my recovery--I have a falling arch in my left foot too--diagnosed after my right tkr.
 
Homyped makes a comfortable sensible shoe, fairly stylish and provides support in the 'right spots'. Just avoid heels and wedges at this stage. Look for the 'Orthotic Friendly' range. You can find them at various chemists around Melbourne (I've seen them at some Amcal and Soul Pattison's). You can find local stockists on their webpage www.homyped.com.au
 
@jeano @kneeper @dovemck

Thank for your reply

All I ever got was lose weight and bike ride and swim until then we may think of looking at your knee.

At the moment I am struggling even finding the time to do my exicises. I try to do some in bed. My back is hurting my wrist is killing me and my feet when I walk to far are so sore due to fallen arches and this is also making my hip and back hurt.

My right knee is not very happy with the new knee and is making it hard to walk normal so I still use crutches for longer walks outside.

I tried stairs the other day and going up was but comin down I was so supprised that my TKR knee had other ideas and I couldnt really go down.

J
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom