Guest viewing is limited

THR RTHR At home and doing well

@Raftin21 Most big airports now have metal scanners that look for contraband on the out side of the body. When you first get to the security line, tell the person checking tickets that you have medical implants and they will direct you to the line for that scanner. It's one where you stand still for a moment holding your arms up and the scanner sweeps around you rather than just walk through an arch. Some small airports don't have those yet so you might run into a situation where they'll want to pat you down. Sigh that's a nuisance but agents are polite and efficient so it doesn't take very long. Tip: wear loose clothes that do not have much metal on them and leave off most jewelry for the trip. There's a mega-thread over in the social room about going through airport security - check there for other ideas :)

On the plane if you have a long flight be sure to get up and walk the aisle several times during the flight. Drink lots of water and avoid alcohol. You should be fine though you might feel stiff after the flight - all the sitting and stress of air travel can do that.

Have a lovely trip and be sure to tell us about when you return
 
Trip went great, they had me try the normal metal detectors and I did set off the alarms (kinda fun with my new hips!!! I am now bionic :heehee:) so then they had me go to the other scanner!

Overall really happy at how my hips did at 6 weeks, they of course got sore and it was hard to sit for long periods of time, but went much better than I hoped.

Hope everyone had a great 4th!
 
Hi! I have a couple of scar questions - my incision/scar on the second hip replacement is pretty wavy (my first was very flat and smooth). It’s almost like the skin didn’t line up just right. Does this go away and flatten out? Is there any thing I should be doing for the scar? Currently I am massaging it with vitamin E oil.

Thanks for any insight or advice on this!
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Great news you had a nice trip and seem to be doing really well.

As far as your scar, it will most likely flatten over the next year and fade into a fine white line. Some of the more common creams and lotions used on a healed incision are Bio-Oil, Vitamin E Oil, E45 Cream, Palmer's Cocoa Butter Lotion with Vitamin E, and Coconut Oil.

Thanks for updating. It was nice to hear from you. Stay in touch! :)
@Raftin21
 
Hi Everyone! It’s been a while! I am 9 months out on my first (right) THR and about 5 months on my second (left). Overall things have gone well and I am getting stronger and walking further than I have in years. I’ve had some pain deep in my thighs from the beginning in both, I talked to the surgeon, he said he wasn’t concerned as I have “rebar” in my femurs and as long as it’s mild pain it’s not atypical (which it has been).

Then about three weeks ago my lower back was hurting (my L4 & L5 go out occasionally) and then my left hip started hurting deep like in the bone mid-way on my femur. I went to my chiropractor she made some adjustments and the next day it was so much better. We talked about the back getting out of alignment can make other things out as well, so I thought this was the problem. Then the day after that the pain came back in my thigh. The pain increases the longer I walk. It starts not too bad, but the more I walk the worse it gets. I’ve eased off the walks for the last couple of weeks. My back still feels a bit off and I can tell it’s affecting how I walk. I am planning to go back to my chiropractor, but this is frustrating as it was going so well and now I feel like I can’t do nearly as much.

I am trying not to worry, as it hasn’t been going on too long, but also want to make sure I am doing the right things. You all have always been so helpful so I thought I’d start here first and see what your thoughts were and of others have had a similar issue.

Thanks so much!
 
@Raftin21
Sorry to hear you are having new pains, glad the chiropractor was able to help with your back pain.
Suggest you call your surgeon and have them take a look at your hips, to be sure everything is OK, and for your peace of mind.

For now use rest, ice, and elevation for your thigh pain.
 
Sorry you are having pain.. the recovery road sure has it's uphill climbs at times.. Pumpkin gave you some good advice and I want to add one thing, have you considered getting new walking shoes?
This is most helpful, especially if you are using older shoes from before your THR's.
Even if they were purchased after your surgery, it may be time for another pair? Just a thought because for me, having new back discomfort or other pains, means I need to switch out my shoes that I wear the most, like for walking or for work. It helps.
 
Hi!

Thank you so much for your posts! I am getting ready to replace Hip#2 and your thread is helping me prepare.

I'm sorry about the back pain. I am a week out from my surgery and am having significant back pain myself. My PT (who is AWESOME, by the way) is working with me on core stability. I'm wondering if that might help you. Your chiropractor should be able to figure out if that will help.

Best of luck. Please keep posting!
 
Thank you all for the advice and info! I ordered new shoes and am icing again! I totally agree that I am in an uphill climb right now, but will get there.

@Schaargi best of luck to you on your 2nd. Hope it goes amazing! Holler if you ever have any questions!
 
Hi Everyone,

I am celebrating my 2 year anniversary of my first hip replacement today! For all of you recovering or getting ready wanted to share my hip(s) are amazing! I had both replaced within 3 months of each other. It is definitely the best thing I have ever done, I am pain free and able to do all the things I thought I'd never get back (rafting, kayaking, yoga and so much more!). I am just amazed everyday!

This forum was such a wonderful support thru both of my recoveries, there are so many wonderful, knowledgeable people on here... so much that I still think of them often!

The road can have it's up's and downs for sure, but know the end result is so worth it! Wishing you all healing and wonderful recoveries.
 
What a wonderful and thoughtful update! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your encouraging words with those following behind you.

I am happy to read you're doing so well, living pain free and enjoying all that you love. I thought it fitting this update be added to your latest recovery thread for those interested in reading your full story.

Happy Two Year Anniversary and best wishes for many blessings in 2023!
@Raftin21
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom