Guest viewing is limited

THR RTHR At home and doing well

Thank you for sending, I’ll definitely read it! It was planned to make my right longer because they are replacing the left in a couple of months. My OS said it would be noticeably different in length, but he will even them up on the next surgery.
 
Hello :wave:
Stopping by to wish you a Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I see you’re only a little over two weeks away from double hippy status. I hope your pain is manageable enough so you can enjoy the weekend.

Please stay in touch, we‘re here to cheer you on as you prepare for and heal from your next surgery.
Happy Saturday!
@Raftin21
 
Hi! Thank you so much! I spent my three month anniversary whitewater rafting and kayaking for 9 days!!! The new hip worked wonderfully, bit sore at times, but was amazing (the left was cranky and reminded me often of why I need this next surgery!). I did say on the trip “I don’t think I need PT... just a whitewater rafting trip :heehee:“ I definitely put the new hip to the test and it did great!

I will for sure be in touch on the next one, you all were amazing and got me thru the first. I can’t believe it’s already in just 2 weeks!!! I am ready and not ready all at the same time.
 
Getting ready for my second hip replacement tomorrow! Can’t believe it’s already here. Feel nervous, but much more prepared than last time!!!

see ya all on the other side!!!

:flwrysmile:
 
Wishing you all the best as you begin healIng. Hopefully surgery is over and you’re resting comfortably with pain well managed. I look forward to following your recovery thread on the healing side. Hope to see you there soon!
@Raftin21
 
Hi! Thank you for the well wishes. All went great and I am at home with lots of ice! I actually slept decent last night, so excited. Feeling much better at this point than I did last time! Fingers crossed the trend continues.

One question, the Oxy makes me itchy, do you guys have any recommendations to help reduce this?

thanks so much and I am so happy being on the other side! Looking forward to having two healthy working hips!
:roseshwr:
 
Some online info on Oxy Itching -
Itching is a common complaint among people who take oxycodone. Research shows that opioids bind to receptors in the nervous system that activate itching. Itching sometimes resolves on its own with continued use of oxycodone.

Consider a call into your surgeons office if you‘re miserable and it continues, they may recommend an antihistamine or another solution to alleviate the itch. Sorry you have to deal with this as you begin healing.
Wishing you comfort and speedy relief.
@Raftin21
 
It’s day 3 and all is going good, I am amazed at how tired I’ve been. Slept most of the day yesterday and then I was totally messed up last night :mcoffee:.

it is crazy how different the two recoveries already are. I feel much better this time, but the surgical pain is really different... not sure how to describe it, I guess more isolated and intense in certain spots. I also haves lot of bruises this time and I didn’t have any last time.

my knee was bothering me prior to surgery and it still is, is that common? Does this go away?

Hope you all have a wonderful day!
 
I am amazed at how tired I’ve been. Slept most of the day yesterday

This is very common after the major surgery you recently experienced.
Our body's energy supply isn't limitless. So when we're in healing mode after major surgery our energy will be used for healing first, not leaving a great reserve for all the other activity of daily life. It is completely normal to feel tired for quite some time. How long....most likely relates to your body's rate of healing. Making our best effort to get adequate sleep and rest is beneficial. Our body does it's best healing while we're sleeping.

Great news this recovery is going well. I‘d much rather have an easier second recovery than trouble myself with wondering what this, or that, is that’s happening this time, but not the first time around.

The knee pain is common as the knee can be manipulated rather aggressively during the dislocation of the hip. Ice your knee right along with anything else causing you pain or discomfort and hopefully it eases soon.

A great day to you! :SUNsmile:
 
Thanks Layla! Appreciate all your advice and thoughts, it always helps so much! Have a wonderful day!
 
You’re welcome. :wink:
 
Man days 4 & 5 are so hard for me, it was the same on the last hip replacement, but I was really hoping it would be different this time! The swelling and pain is rough, I was in tears last night! Trying to remind myself it’s just temporary, but it can be so hard! The plan is to take it easy, rest and ice today. One day at a time right?!? Thanks for listening and for the venting!
:holysheep:
 
Vent away...we all get it.
I’m so sorry you’re having a rough time. Not an unfamiliar complaint though. Take your meds on schedule, rest and ice, ice, ice. Hopefully it eases up soon.
Big hugs and wishes for a better day tomorrow! :console2:
@Raftin21
 
Good morning! Well I am joining the over did it club... again!!! Sun-tues was a struggle, had more pain and it was rough! At night I’d get a crazy deep almost like a Charlie horse cramp in my leg... it took my breath away! I honestly didn’t feel like I was doing too much, walking around the block and some light house chores, but man my hip was angry! I took it easy yesterday and low and behold I am feeling better today! I canceled my PT (feel like that’s also aggravating my hip) and am going to ease up for a few days! It’s so hard to not over do it!

:bignono:
 
Do not have much to offer except positive thoughts and listen to your pain!
My first hip (5 years ago) was in many ways a horrid experience.
This one was going along better (am 4 weeks out, surgery was 5/10), until this weekend when I fell in the middle of the night (actually landed on my knees which seems to have especially impacted my operative side...angry is a very apt description!!)
I was targeting being independent, not needing anyone’s help, getting back to home activities quickly & work at 4-5 weeks. Now I am not sure about those goals. Falling in the middle of the night is definitely not a good idea. It is really hard to not feel the need to push, out-perform and get back to responsibilities we think are so important!
 
@ddj Oh my gosh, I can’t imagine falling, so glad you’re okay! That would make a hip angry for sure!!!

I am at 3 1/2 weeks and this one is going much better than my first (4 months ago)... May have something to do with me doing a bit too much too soon! I agree it’s so hard not to push to get back to life! It's huge surgery and it takes time, but patience isn’t always my friend! LOL
 
Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you’re enjoying steady progress and feeling stronger week by week.
Wishing you a wonderful Summer 2021!
@Raftin21
 
Thanks @Layla! Things are going well, slow and steady, getting better every week! Eager to get back to everything, but working on being patient! I am sooo ready, but my hips are not quite there yet!
:happydance:
 
Hi! I am getting ready to travel for the first time after my 2 THR and am a bit nervous! I am right at 6 weeks. Any advice? How’s it getting thru security?

Appreciate any words of wisdom you all have learned!
:thankyou:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom