Guest viewing is limited

TKR Rosie's Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Rosie, I have been good at doing my exercises regularly. Having said that I sometimes do more or less depending on my pain and stiffness. I only push them to the point of discomfort and back off doing too many repetitions if I am too sore or tired.
Just aim for little and often done gently and you will not go wrong.
Toothfairy x :SUNsmile:
 
I think it's normal to be wiped out and energyless at first, but it does get better. I have been out today and yesterday and don't feel too bad now, 18 days on, but still need a lot of rest and leg ups.
Exercise wise, I kept doing foot pumps and heel slides up and down-they seemed to stop me from stiffening up and moving helps prevent clots too, so it is important. But don't overdo it, ice and rest are your best friends right now.
 
RosieJ...simple answer...no...apart from the simple ones like heel slides ankle rotations. How is your knee do you have much swelling...whatever you decide to do..don't stress your knee it has to get over the op first. :friends:
 
Oh Rosie so pleased you are home. Have been thinking of you. Rest rest rest! I am going to be following you as I have a week to go. It is all going to get better for you now. Take care x
 
Rosie , how did it all go ???? I had to lose 4 stone and put on a stone since going back to weight watchers next week lol I've just had my right knee done had left knee 9 months ago so got a matching pair better second time round x
 
Glad to see you home hopefully it will settle down for you now.:yay:
 
My son and I slept in this morning. Still feel shattered though :)

My friend is coming over soon to do a little cleaning and my son us collecting my mother who us in the middle of a massive nervous breakdown and wants to kill herself. Well...,I feel like killing her for being so inconsiderate with her timing (just had to get that rant out if the way) My sister in law is travelling to see her tomorrow and I've said I really can't cope with her here full time.

Knee is incredible really. I've never had loads of pain. My medication is fine. Did a few little exercises this morning. Am able to sleep on my side but do wake every 2-3 hours to change position. Knee is swollen but I an icing regularly. It looks almost the same as before I had it fine with a little more swelling. It is tight which is normal and I can sit for a while with both feet on the ground, bent. My surgeon said he follows all new protocols.

Must go my mother has arrived !!!
 
rosieJ, would you please put your surgery date in your signature, as well as what surgery you had (i.e., LTKR, RTHR) like the rest of us do? You can find the instructions here: How to create a signature. But please also remember that our membership is international and for clarity use the International Date system being Jan. 10, 2013 or 10 Jan. 2013 rather than 1/10/13 or 10/1/13. Thanks for your cooperation. ​
​
​
 
Hi Rosie...it's good to here things are running pretty smoothly with you knee...the exhaustion is normal..the answer is just more rest and then some more. Your body is coping with it's own major trauma right now and you must try and protect it from outside pressure as much as you can. :friends:

I hope your Mums situation improves and she feels better for seeing you, knowing you are on the road to recovery might ease he mind a little, ...I hope so. Your son has his hands full looking after one woman right now I'm sure might be stretching him a bit too far. I hope your sister realizes that too. :ok:

You are off to a good start...good work by your OS...just stick to the mantra and recovery will be as it should too.
hugs Gami :friends: :flwrysmile:
 
Hi Rosie, hang on in there, it never rains but it pours. Hard though it is you have just had major surgery and right at the moment you need to concentrate on your own recovery. I can understand you feeling cross with your mum but I am sure it was not planned.
I hope she can get some help and support from extended family and/or from medical professionals.
Sounds like your knee is doing very well and that you are feeling a bit better after your rocky start.
Rant as much as you like, we welcome your rants, anything that helps.
Take care and be strong, I hope your mum starts to feel better soon too,
Love Toothfairy x
 
Hi all. I haven't got on to my computer yet to update my signature.... Not had the concentration but am popping in and out on my iPhone.

I had my first evening and morning alone which went well apart from feeling nauseous this morning. Not Sure why. It's not the medication because I had been taking that for a long time. I came home with a few anti-sickness drugs so I took one this morning and feeling much better.

Much to my sons annoyance I did manage to get into my shower this morning and made sure that I was very careful. It was bliss to have a shower and wash my hair and managed to get to all the parts that I haven't been able to get to before!

I took the dressing of my leg this morning because it looked very red underneath the sticky bits around the gauze. Unfortunately it broke a little bit of the skin in some areas. When I went to put a new one on that the hospital gave me it was far too small so my son has been out and managed to get a new one from the chemist today thank goodness.

My swelling has gone down an enormous amount recently. I am really surprised. I can't wait to have the staples taken out.

At long last my head seems to be clearing of the anaesthetic. I am finally managing to pick up a book this morning and read. I so miss reading.

I am really looking forward to tomorrow. My son is cooking Sunday lunch for my sister in law, my mother, myself and his partner. I'm sure we will have a really nice day.

What I find really interesting is that when I dont do a lot and ice my knee and then take little walks the strength in my thigh and the bend in my leg keeps getting better and better. all with a little amount of work. Does anyone else find this?

Now that my head is beginning to feel clearer I think that I will get back on to my computer next week and see more how everyone else is getting on.

I don't get a physiotherapist appointment for 3 weeks apparently so I won't be able to gauge how well I am doing. I think all is going pretty well though.






Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RTKR. 9 March 2013
 
Hi RosieJ it sounds like things are going just fine with you... :yay: nice shower, hair washing, even reading , simple pleasures that help make us all feel normal.

And it sounds like you have done a great job rearing that very helpful son of yours....well done :ok: .

Don't stress about 'gauging your progress' just continue as you have been doing, let your knee know you love it give it the opportunity to recover and everything else will come..truly just relax. :egypdance:

hugs Gami :friends: :flwrysmile:
 
Hi Rosie, I am pleased you are feeling well and making progress. That first shower is just wonderful. Hope the nausea disappears. Sounds like you have a lovely day planned tomorrow. Make sure you find plenty of time to rest.
Keep an eye on your wound, do you think the gauze was irritating your skin, I hope your new dressing allows it to settle.
Take care and take it easy. Enjoy your book,
Hugs, Toothfairy x :flwrysmile:
 
Hello Rosie so glad all is going well with your recovery. I have 2 days to go I am cleaning the house like a mad women! Keep resting and enjoy the rest. All going to be great from now on. X
 
Hello Rosie, how are you doing now? I hope things are progressing well with your knee and hope you are not having too many other demands put on you at the moment when you need to be concentrating on your recovery.
Take care,
Post when you can,
Toothfairy x :dancy: :happydance:
 
Finally back on line and have caught up a little with everyone's posts.

I seem to be doing well. I am resting, elevating and icing and doing stretches when i feel like it. I ha. I had my clips out on tuesday and have to say i squealed like a baby. My sons friend is a district nurse and she came round to do the evil deed. She did say that they were very wrll clipped in and she had to wiggle each one out. But lovely once done. My scar is amazing. She was most impressed with the healing. Smooth as anything. I still have not a speck of bruising which has really suprised me. I am still a little swollen but not very much and it isn't hot to the tough at all.

I am still on one pill a day or atcoxia, my arthritis medication and paacetemol when I feel like it.

Every day brings more improvement. I can walk without crutches pretty well but am being careful not to too much so either I use one crutch or two at night.

I got a call from the physiotherapy dept and have an appt a week tomorrow. They say it will then be an appt every 3 weeks as the don't have the resources for more often. Not impressed but I know what I need to do.

I treated myself to a deep tissue massage today from my friend who has managed to keep me mobile the last 5 years. He was careful but had a good go at loosening up my muscles. Felt great. I can't bend my knee a huge amount - I can sit with it bent on the loo now though yahhhhhhh. But I can slide and bend on the bed and lift my knee up when standing. Also managing o lift it to the next step on the stairs but not then putting my wright on it as too soon or that.

Tiredness is still there. I m sleeping but o wake every 3 hours to try and turn and he comfortable. Am fine with visitors a long as they don't stay longer than the 3 hour mark. friends have been dropping in but when I realise I am OK tired I spend the next day resting.

Tooth fairy saw your query re sharing legs :). Mine were terrible. I just shaved them in the shower carefully then gave myself a good moisturise (careful to mid out the knee and felt wonderful.

Must go and do dinner. My mother is coming to stay tomorrow for a coupe of days. She is doing much better after I realised the benellyn she was taking had a terrible effect with her anti depressents.

What a marthon write up. Fuel exhausted reading it :).
 
Hello Rosie, good to hear from you.
Sounds like you are doing very well. Amazing to have no bruising at all.
I am glad your mum is better, well done for working out what the problem was.
Take it gently and keep up the good work with those stretches,
Toothfairy x :flwrysmile:
 
Glad to hear your doing so well Rosie :yay: keep up the good work :yahoo:
 
Hi RosieJ
I'm so glad things are improving for your Mum ...we need things settled around us so we can feel at ease as we heal. :friends:
You seem like you are getting to understand your body and what it needs right now and I'm so happy that you have been and are still having those massages...they really do help with relaxing the muscles and moving the fluid around in our leg :spin:

enjoy your visit with your Mum and keep taking it easy

hugs Gami :friends: :flwrysmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom