TKR Rosie's Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Rosie,
How are you doing? I hope your recovery is progressing well and you will soon be back home.
I have been thinking about you every day and wondering how you are progressing.
Post when you can,
Hugs,
Toothfairy x :friends: :flwrysmile:
 
Hi Rosie,
How are you doing? It would be good to hear a progress report. I hope you are ok.
Thinking about you and sending healing thoughts,
Hugs
Toothfairy. X :flwrysmile:
 
Hi Rosie How are you doing hope your surgery went geat looking forward to haring from you nice to see that you posted a little while ago and really enjoyed writing to you and reading your posts. Hope everything went well and that you are doing ok Holly .:kittykiss:
 
Toothfairy lavender et all
Been meaning to post for the last 4 weeks but the time seemed to fly by and then was back to work. I got your message Toothfairy and thought I really should post, so here I am :)

Well, as I said the time has flown by. Op went well, I had a nerve block in the leg which lasted 48 hours which enabled me to have no pump (yahhhhhhhhh) so no sickness like last time. I took my normal arthritis med and for a day and a half took 12 hour oxycontin pill. This didn't make me sick but made me burn from my head to my chest from the inside out. I decided to stop taking it the second day so was down to paracetemol and my arthritis med. The nerve block was great and once it started wearing off a bit I convinced them to let me get up and do a little walk (gosh felt weak as a kitten) and then decided I might as well get the stairs done. once I had done that I told them I was definitely going home the next day as I knew what I needed to do once home. They seemed happy with me making the decisions so was out on the third day and it was lovely being home. Whilst in hospital, the first night I was in a private room, the second night was in a ward as they needed my room but no one else was there and both nights I slept really really well. the last night the room was full and it was difficult sleeping so, so glad I went home.

They say your knees can be different and it sure has been. I thought I had a small amount of pain last time but this time has been even less. Don't get me wrong, still painful, swollen etc but just very different. We took out my clips 2 days earlier than before which was much better as I heal fast and last time they had healed completely around them and they were screamingly painful to get out. This time was uncomfortable but manageable. More of a bloody scar (not in the swearing sense :) but more scabs. I had nothing last time. but they have finally dropped off. Again absolutely no bruising at all. How lovely :)

I was very tired the first 2 weeks as was expected but then I decided to take some sleeping pills I have stashed away for emergencies. I took half a tablet for a couple of days and found that I was sleeping for 4 hours then up to the loo and back to bed and into a deep sleep again. LOVELLLLY. I knew that sleep was important but I have not suffered from the exhausting set backs as before and have actually managed well during the days. I switched from those tables to Night Kalms instead taking 4 a night and I sleep like a baby. I have been able to sleep on my side since being home too so that has made a difference.

The only problem I have had is that this knee does not seem to be as strong as the other. The other one never seemed to "fail" when I was using my crutches - or very rarely. This one seems to sort of give out a little and I have to be careful that I watch how I am walking to make sure it doesn't give way. I have been doing my exercises to try and strengthen it up but nothing has helped. I am hoping it will improve with time. Any ideas anyone? or is this normal.

I had to go back to 2 full days work on Tues/Weds from this week and part time every other day with clients. In fact have a client a day for the next 2 weeks, even the weekends. I was really worried how I was going to manage but with the good sleep I have stunned myself at how well I have managed. I remember doing this last time and nearly dying from exhaustion. I can only put it down to the deeper sleep.

I thought I would get lots of things done over these last 4 weeks but have done even less than last time. Probably because I have had to look after myself again. My mother had an operation the week before mine and it went wrong resulting in her needing care from my brothers and sisterinlaw at home for 3 weeks so no one available to help me. My son was a god send as he came at night to cook a meal. It is hard doing things for yourself at first. Now I can do things but I make sure I don't overdo it. I worked with a client this morning and will make sure I get this email done and then trundle off to bed to lie down with a book for 2 hours. Its all about pacing isn't it? PS I bought myself some ankle weights (5lbs) on the recommendation of the physiotherapist at the hospital (because I told her my right knee done 8 months ago is still a little sore around the muscles sometimes and felt it wasn't strong enough). So whilst sitting here and doing my knee bends I have strapped on the weight on my ankle and done 20 knee bends with the other. I am sure it has already made a difference.

I was going to start my new book "Live Real Live Happy" whilst off but the inclination didn't get big enough :) Toothfairy you asked about my first book ..... I sell it on my web site broken link removed: https://www.headtalkbodytalk.com and also www.marionjorgensen.com (my real name is marion-rose). Description is on there. Love the work I do.

so I have picked out my new bicycle (Victoria Pendleton's blue vintage model) with a wicker basket. Will have to save up but am thanking God that I am now through the second op. What a year it has been . Still some way to go but I have things planned for the summer, cycling, walking and holidaying.... all the things I haven't been able to do for a while.

So..... I will check out the site, I used to do it daily but have got waylaid . How are you all. toothfairy you must be almost ready to go back to work? or maybe you have done back early. How are you. I am sure your recovery has gone brilliantly as you seem to do really well.

Much love to all XXXXX
 
Hi Rosie How wonderful it must feel to have the second leg done. Nice to hear that you are doing well and that things are going so great. Hope that everything just keeps going better and better Wishing you the best Holly
 
Lovely to hear from you Rosie, I was getting a bit worried about you. What a great report, you are doing marvellously.
I am so pleased for you that things have gone so well.
I have had a look at your website, it is very slick and very interesting. I will return later to read more.
It's great that you love your work so much.
Your new bike to be looks just fab. It's good to have something to look forward to in the spring and summer.
I think I know what you mean about your knee giving way. My left knee did that occasionally in the early weeks of recovery and the right one does it very occasionally too. It is getting less as the weeks go on and my left knee no longer does it at all. I think it is due to muscle weakness but I may be wrong about that. Personally didn't worry about it as it was just a very occasional thing. You could always ask when you go for your six week review.
I am doing really well thanks. I'm not back at work till the end of this month. I am really enjoying this time out. It will be a shame to have to go back to work but I will be fine once I get there.
I will soon be back into the swing of things.
I hope your recovery continues to go smoothly.
Take care,
Toothfairy x :goodpost: :flwrysmile:
 
Hi Rosie, how are you doing? I hope you are happy and well and that your knees are recovering.
Toothfairy x
 
Hi @Toothfairy and everyone else
My goodness, it seems like years since I have been online and it was so lovely to get a nudge from your toothfairy.

firstly, haven't had time to read anything yet this morning, so hoping all is going well with you.

It seems ages since my op but everything seems to be going well. I ended up having to fend for myself (apart from my son popping in from work to cook an evening meal for the first 3 weeks). having had a complete nerve clock and no pain killers apart from my arthritis medicine made such a difference. I was tired but never reached the depths I did before. Was home after 3 days and then did exactly what I did before. Sat and read, watched telly and did some tapestry. I think I mentioned in an earlier post that the 2nd knee was less strong and gave way quite a bit. This has just about disappeared but still does try to collapse occasionally. Having my clips out was so much better than the previous time as we did them much earlier so they hadn't time to heal up and over.

I went back to work part time after 4 weeks at home. it was tiring but was amazed at how well i did. then was driving and back in to the office at 6 weeks. I eased myself in the first week with half days but due to pressure :( i ended up back full time from the 7th. I couldn't have done this first time around but even though I did get tired I actually managed magnificently and at the 3 month mark it was like I had never been away.

I probably do get tired a little bit but not that it is too noticeable. Am up and down the stairs normally but knee is still a little sore and it does get a little tight if walking too far. I certainly wouldn't want to knock it. I can clean away for a couple of hours and then have to give up and put my knees up) I am at about 4.5 months in now and thanking God that I am now on the home run. due to working so much (even Saturdays) i don't get out to the gym or swimming pool or even long walks but I don't beat myself up, just feel that I am doing what I can and things will get better. My first knee probably only bends to 120-130 but the 2nd bent well from the first day of the op and it it seems to not have a problem bending down the stairs I presume it is fine and will improve a little more. Have no idea how well it bends, it seems to bend enough for my needs.

When I went back to my check up 7 weeks after the op, they had a look at my first knee. I am still finding a certain part of it (outside, bottom) still is a little sore. This is the part of the knee I had a problem with during the recovery period when I had a sharp pain. They assured me everything looks ok but that since it was so bad before the op and then was operated on and had to look after the 2nd knee during its recovery that I should prepare myself for it taking another 18 months before knowing whether it will improve and lose that section of pain. I am happy with that. I would have preferred it was "perfect" but its definitely better than before so thats something to celebrate. when I went shopping recently, I was amazed how it felt like walking on air..... and said to my friend "this must be how people feel when then have normal knees" !!

I am looking forward to getting even better and have my new bike picked out (the victoria Pendleton vintage blue bike with basket) which I shall get when the weather hear improves and have started advertising my new "Live REAL * Live HAPPY course, the first one on the 12 April so feel that I am finally getting back to normal living. if anyone asks me has it been worth it.....YESSSSS. Just be prepared to put aside 18 months of your life to fully concentrate on yourself.

Interestingly my specialist said that recent research showed that younger people who wait to have their knees replaced, tend to NOT get such a good result as young people who wait and wait. This probably accounts for my right knee as I waited 8 years and couldn't really do anything by the time I had the op. So if there is anyone out there who reads this, don't wait around, reclaim your life and DO IT.

Am trying to get some paperwork done whilst watching the last day of the Olypmics (loving it.... I would loved to have been able to snowboard!!) but am going to have a quick glance through the site and see how people are.

Love to all
rosie J
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@rosieJ , I removed your personal details from your post. It's not a good idea to post them publicly.

Sounds like you are doing amazingly well! Inspiration to all those who go after you. Well done!
 
Hi Rosie,
Lovely to hear from you. I am delighted to read how well you are doing.
It is a great feeling to know that both knees are done.
Roll on spring and then you can get out and about on your bike.
I hope everything goes well with your new course.
Take care and be happy with your knee knees,
Hugs, Toothfairy x
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom