TKR Rosie's Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
So glad you have some new tools to help you along on this recovery path! I find that when I ride the recumbent bike at PT, I am usually quite stiff and achy for at least 5 minutes, but then it suddenly loosens up a bit by the end. I have a semi-recumbent bike here at home, but the seat is still a bit too close so I am not as comfortable using it.

I haven't tried a bath yet either, but I find that heel slides in the shower while sitting on the shower chair are much easier than on the bed!

Wishing you the best of luck when you visit the doctor again! :flwrysmile:
 
Hi everyone jetthugger gami Toothfairy RICBAK1 exhausted with knee pain leejaa

I have had such a lazy morning. I have been waking so early that I went back to bed with my book this morning and then into a lovely, huge hot bath. The whale had landed :) then up and downstairs to ice. My first whole week back at work and I am feeling rather drained. two days in the office for 7 hours a day was horrible but I managed to get some boxes from the storeroom to put under my desk and put my leg up on my pillow. Having a chair to the side of me didn't feel comfortable at all. I did drag myself home each day.....:gaah: but I knew it was going to be like that so just had to get my head round resting whenever I could. the other days I had clients but I could work with my leg up comfortably and rest in between.

I am sooooo despondent and the worse thing is not knowing whether there is any valid reason for me to be feeling so down. My knee is doing great. Stiff at times etc but it is that pesky place in my knee on the edge of the knee cap that bothers me whenever I walk. Everything else around the knee is a little tender but just that one small spot. so on and off when I walk it is like a piercing pain. It hasn't changed at all in the last 3 weeks and it stops me from cycling, walking much at all and I would like to get on my new exercise bike or happily go for a walk even if I use my crutches outside but it is too uncomfortable. I really think it is strange that it is only when I walk, not when sitting or standing or even walking with a straight leg. I am seeing the surgeon on Tuesday and I am hoping 1. that he takes it seriously and either says it is perfectly normal (which I don't think it is) or that he can give me a reason why it is happening that feels sensible. I don't want lets see how it goes.

I asked my mother yesterday if she would mind picking me up some paracetemol and I she asked in a very shocked way "are you still having to take medication?". I can't say she doesn't know what she is talking about because she had both her knees done last year. She was up and running (:) not literally) after 4-6 weeks and recovered incredibly fast. She doesn't understand why I can't stop using my crutch (I can walk easily but have pain so feel I should take the pressure of it) and why I should be taking pain medication) It makes me feel that I am not doing my recovery "good enough" and also that there must be something wrong my my knee. my sane head says wait and see what the hospital say and my neurotic head is freaking out :hairpulling:

so my lovely exercise bike is up there smiling at me. I can turn the peddles easily but after a few turns it hurts that spot in the knee and then it hurts in that particular spot for ages so I thought maybe I should irritate it.

I decided a little while ago to start sewing again, something I used to do when a lot younger. My mother used to sew patchwork quilts but as she has now very bad arthritic hands she is doing applique pictures which are wonderful. I have started a couple of small projects to try out my new basic sewing machine and have now almost finished making 4 cushions for my garden chairs. I finished the first one the other day and here it is


[Bonesmart.org] Rosie's Recovery



I have also just ordered some material from ebay to make a small amount of bunting -nice and easy. I found the trolley I was given to have in the house whilst recovering is perfect for putting my sewing machine on. I can wheel it into the sitting room, sit and machine a little bit of something whilst watching telly and then wheel it away again.....

I am going to continue with my feet up :sigh: do my nails, and doze for the rest of the day whilst dipping in and out of my book. Hoping all of you are ok and keeping well. Hugs Rosie
 
Hi Rosie,
What a lovely post, :goodpost: I love your cushion, it looks gorgeous, lovely colours.
I had a very slow start this morning too, it is not a crime. You certainly deserved it after being back at work and it is a wise strategy as well as being nice.
I am sorry to hear you are despondent. I would imagine there are a number of things going on here,
1) a touch of the random and unprovoked post surgery blues, I got all tearful while sitting in the sun having a cuppa at a pavement cafe with my husband on Wednesday for no good reason at all, just started blubbing, most embarrassing. :blush:
2) tiredness at being back in harness
3) justified frustration and fedupness? At the persistent pain in your knee that is stopping you getting on with things.

I hope your consultant has some helpful advice on this pain and agree that "let's see how it goes" is not good enough.
I think you are wise staying off your bike and avoiding doing things that are causing this piercing pain. It sounds horrible.
On the subject of medication I only cut out my last tramadol for the first time yesterday and I am still taking paracetamol 3-4 times a day and also naproxen twice a day although I do take that for my inflammatory arthritis.
There are no rules, you need to take pain medication for as long as you need it.

Wat kind of sewing machine did you buy? I recently had to retire my ancient singer when the tension failed completely. I had it fixed and serviced a number of years back and it cost a fortune so I decided to dispose of it and put the money towards a new machine. I haven't bought one yet so would be really interested to hear what one you have and whether you are pleased with it. I don't have any immediate plans for sewing but it feels really strange not to have a sewing machine.
I like your idea of having it on the trolley.
Enjoy your manicure, take care and hang on in there.
Sending you hugs, flowers and chocolates to cheer you up,
Hugs, Toothfairy x :flwrysmile: :bicycle2: :console2:
 
Toothfairy. Lovely to hear from you so fast. Really cheered me up.

I have only been on my arthritis meds (arcoxia) and paracetemol since i came out of hospital so I think I have done very well.

I also had to wave goodbye to my singer. My father gave it to me for my 21st, 31 years ago. In my 3rd week at home my son drove me to a lovely patchwork shop and we dropped off my old machine. They ship them to India so that they can teach a "fallen" woman how to refurb it and then they can take it to use to make things to sell. I bought a basic machine from John Lewis (it might be slightly cheaper elsewhere). It is a singer tradition 2250. I love it, it can do zips. Buttonholes and various stitches. Perfect for my needs. I thought that if i didn't use it enough then it would be ok to spend that amount and if i really do use it a lot I may buy a more decent one in the future. I've also found you tube great for finding little projects to see. I did buy a pack that has everything in it to make a single bed quilt which I may start in the winter.

I loved your knitting. I did knit a little when I moved to Denmark when I was married in my twenties but that doesn't give me as much as a buzz as sewing. Glad you are enjoying exploring fun things again. Life really is short and shouldn't be all work and no play.

I meant to say that I hope everything turns out okay for your job. It's amazing that we can spend so much time working for the same people and in the end it doesn't really count. I am sure that what ever happens it will be the right thing for you.

Nails all done and it is gloriously quiet here. I am stuck into my book..., thank goodness for a good read. I couldn't do without one.

Big hugs back. Enjoy your quiet rest. Xxxx
Ps which part of the country are you in?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RTKR. 9 March 2013
 
Rosie, I too hope your surgeon will give you an answer for the painful spot. I have one on the outside of my knee with certain motions with the knee bent. My OS said that it is a tightened muscle and then the tendon learning to slide over the prosthesis instead of the spot it had in the knee. He said people have different spots that have to adjust to a straight knee. This made sense since mine started the more activities I did. He said to not push it too much but do gentle stretching. Also, advised anti-inflammatories and since my other knee is hurting and the usual OTC have never touched it prescribed one. It does seem to be helping the spot but not so much the other knee.

Returning to work is sooo tiring even without the extra pain. It does get one down--for me it was more than at the beginning of the recovery since I kept thinking it should be getting easier but what it takes is time. I still get teary over odd things.

I loved your pillows. It is nice to create something for oneself. Like you, once my brain got unmushy from the surgery, a good read does me good. Nothing like getting lost in another world to get a mental vacation. Take care of yourself and give yourself a pat on the back for being back at work and surviving. Take what meds you need. I still take a Vicodin in the morning as well as the anti inflammatory and Tylenol throughout the day if I am achey. We are all different and have different demands at work and home and have to do what we need to deal with it.
 
Hi Toothfairy leejaa forevergimpy Fernie gami

what great advice about the exercise bike. riding for the length of a song. I thought everyone was riding for half an hour or an hour (maybe you are :)) but when I get back on the bike I will start of with that length of time as it seems just right.

Had a very restful weekend and (have to whisper this..... shhh.....) think there has been a tiny improvement in my knee. the sore bit isn't there as often. I am off to see the surgeon tomorrow but also am back to work in the office for two days so I am not able to have my leg up as much as I do at home. I notice that if I sit with it down in
a normal position it doesn't hurt but after a while the place where I get the sharp pain starts to groan so at the moment a straight leg elevated is preferred.

I have been bathing every day now (even though I much prefer a shower) because I think the warm water does some good. whilst in the bath today... I was ruminating on why i feel it is so good. firstly, I love the ... literally... slipping in. :yikes: I sit on the end, lift myself off and slide in. I almost want to say ....weeeeeeee. and then I lie flat on my back and lift my knee up so that it is above me pointing at the ceiling and let my knee hang. i can only manage about 30 seconds before gently letting it slip back into the water but the water holds the leg up and I have to say it has really helped my bend. I did wonder leejaa whether the tendons are being stretched over the knee and therefore helping the "painful spot". I also slide down the bath and put my foot up the wall at the end as far as I can go and let it rest therefore a while. Hanging it off the end of the bath is good by the heel as well. I think it is really comfortable doing exercises this way as when you put your leg back in the bath and let it float the leg completely relaxes. Getting out .... I do my whale impression. flip over on to my tummy whilst leaving the water in the bath. Then knee very quickly on my good knee (even though it really doesn't like me doing that, stretch out quickly my bad leg, push up with my hands at the bottom of the bath and then put them straight on the sides of the bath (I usually had a flannel under one of them so I have a safe grip) and then stand up. I always laugh once out as I have a picture in my mind of me getting stuck one day and wondering how the hell they would ever get me out :sos:

I'm waiting for some material to arrive that I have ordered off ebay and my next project is some bunting. Not too difficult and I can pick it up and put it down easily. It shouldn't take too long either. I am going to hang it up in my kitchen and then if we ever get some sun here in the UK I'll hang it up on my patio around my hanging baskets.

Hope you are all well and enjoying your days. Must rush now as I have a client arriving.

Hugs to all XXXXXXXX
 
Ahhhh Rosie the beauty of water therapy..so glad to hear it is working for you. :yay: :yes!: Funny I remember even when I first came home one of the things I looked forward to was to sit in my shower chair and let the warm water cascade over my body...it was about the most relaxing thing I did for weeks and weeks until I could have that first real bath. :egypdance: I would sit under the shower for ages and my husband would get quite concerned :scary: wondering is I was okay...thankfully we have a solar hot water system so we never run out..i didn't really care it was heaven :heehee: . yes I do smile about it now, such a simple thing could give so much relief too my body.

So I'm a great believer in finding whatever works for you to give your knee/body some comfort has to be an integral part of this recovery ride we are on. :martini:

Hope you material arrives soon...we are need a project or two. :wink:

hugs Gami :friends: :flwrysmile:
 
Hello Rosie - its nice to hear from you. i've been getting caught up with life etc and not posting as much as I would like to - just dont seem to have the time or energy! I'm just soo tired all the time.

the water therapy is v good, i'm also a shower person but i've enjoyed some nice long baths recently and they have done me good, its just the getting out bit !

At physio this morning, i was complaining about some aches and pains and she said that nothing is unusual for up to six months and its just a case of doing the PT and hanging in there until time has passed. You are back to work and trying to get on with your life and its hard. The knee just wants to rest and be iced and that just aint possible all the time. I do find that i can sit at a desk or table for as long as I need and just take quick breaks every hour or so. I think gravity plays a big part in all of this.

so, your sewing machine and projects sound great - its been years since i've used a machine. all this craft that you are all up to leaves me feeling :bow: ! :heehee:

Take care and best wishes. Fernie x
 
Rosie; your bath sounds wonderful - I no longer have a bath tub so could not partake of water therapy in that sense but just the shower was great to feel relaxed. A little water relaxation is good for the soul as well as the body. Take care.
 
Hi Rosie,
Thanks for the info about the sewing machine. I will have a look at that one. I am planning to visit a specialist sewing machine shop locally and get some advice from them about the pros and cons of different machines. The do machines at all price ranges and also sell Pre owned machines. I will see what they advise. Might end up buying online but will explore the options.
Hope your fabric has arrived. Isn't the Internet a wonderful thing.
How was your visit to the surgeon? Did he have anything to say about your sore spot?
I hope your knee is continuing to improve. I am impressed that you are managing to keep up with crafts as well as working!
Take care, hugs, Toothfairy x :egypdance: :happydance:
 
Hi Rosie,
how did your visit to the surgeon go? Did he have any advice for you about your pain?
I hope you have been enjoying the sunshine. Did your fabric arrive?
I have started having a look about sewing machines. I have tried one but want to try another couple before I decide.
Hope you are well,
Toothfairy x :SUNsmile: :yes:
 
Morning all, another day is upon us. Have just arrived at work for another funfilled day :groan:

I have found after being back at work for 3 weeks now that my energy levels have built up and I can now manage the day without feeling I have hit a brick wall at 11am and 2pm. Still wish I wasn't here though :)

I have had a busy old week. I went to the surgeon (Toothfairy thank you for asking) on Tuesday last week. He was really pleased. Marvelled at my wonderfully healed scar, couldn't believe I hadnt bruised and wasn't sure why and then when I said I thought he was going to be annoyed re: my bend, he gasped (literally) and said.... I think that is wonderful (my 95 degree ROM which he gently moved to 100) for 7 weeks and then reminded me that ROM will increase up to 1-1.5 years and not to worry about it. He then asked me to straighten my leg out in front of me and gasped again as I easily lifted and straightened it (I am sure it is not perfectly straight but is almost there and have no idea what the measurement is) and he said "goodness, look how well you lift and straighten it....don't you have any pain and I said no. Big star for me :egypdance: I confessed to not doing a huge amount, just gentle exercises, a bit of cleaning etc and more recently a little on my exercise bike and he said that was perfectly right. How nice that he is so in tune with the bonesmart mantra.

Its amazing that just being told everything is ok lifts your spirits. The particular little bit of pain I had had to the right of my knee cap for 3 weeks actually started disappearing 2 days before the visit and has not returned. Josephine was so wise when she said it was healing and to rest rest rest.

I had a hectic weekend and I am surprised my knee held up so well. I drove my mother to a shop 40 minutes away to look for a sofa to buy on Saturday and then we walked 15 minutes up the high street and back to buy shoes. I was tired when I got home but a good cuppa tea helped. Then on Sunday I felt the need to clean the house and do the washing which I did for 2.5 hours and then after having some lunch and icing was compelled :whistle: to jet wash my patio for 3 hours. Usually it is a quick job but was horrified to find that black lichen has taken hold and virtually covered it under all the dirt. I had to stand and hold the nozzle closely and slowly over each bit. I didn't get it finished when I finally gave in as very tired, sore hands and my feet were freezing standing in the cold water. I promised myself I wouldn't finish it on the Monday as I should probably rest rest rest but I couldn't stop myself so back out to do another 2.5 hours. It is looking much better but still have bits I can't remove so I have ordered a product that says it might get rid of it all after quite a few months and maybe up to a year. Thats the problem with living in a tree, ridden place !!

So my knee didn't get worse it just felt stiffer and I gave in yesterday and went and visited my friend after work who gave me a deep tissue massage....very deep. Golly it hurt but it was wonderful. My leg felt light as a bird afterwards. No tightness at all.... so I know it is not just the residual swelling I have in my knee and thigh causing the tightness but my muscles were very very tight too.

Toothfairy.... I am sure you poor knee did get a jolt.... just a bumpy road jars my knee. The UK roads, especially the ones round here are appalling. I hope it is feeling much better and that you are giving it lots of TLC. Wonderful news about your recent addition to the family. I wish I had that to look forward to.... unfortunately it is likely not to happen.

Here hoping everyone else is also happy and pain free. I really should get on with work and will try and catch up again soon.

Hugs Rosie XXXX
 
:goodpost: thank you Rosie for an uplifting start to my day. Your post made me smile.
I am so pleased your visit to the surgeon was so good. A definite gold star for you.
I like your comment " it's amazing how being told everything is ok lifts your spirits"
It is a big surgery followed by a long recovery and lots of tweaks and twinges and aches and pains so it is good to be told it is all ok.
Just take care that in your new found joy you don't overdo things.
You are really doing brilliantly. I am really pleased for you.
Interesting that you feel your stamina is improving, I feel that too. It is good to start to feel a bit more normal.
Did the fabric come? I haven't bought a sewing machine yet, I looked at a couple on Friday. I had planned to look at some others yesterday but decided that having a quite day resting was a better plan.
Off to get ready to go and meet my new Grandaughter. I am indeed very lucky and very grateful.
Have a great day,
Hugs, Toothfairy x :happydance: :friends: :yahoo:
 
I was just catching up on your thread Rosie sounds like your right on track and doing so well. I also love your cushion you have done a fabulous job! :yay: :dancy:

Have fun visiting your new grand daughter TF so precious! :flwrysmile:
 
Hi Toothfairy and landoz
Sitting eating my lunch - back on my diet as of yesterday. Very healthy eating to try and shift the pounds I put on whilst lazing around :cry: I hate dieting but after losing 5 stone over a 2 year period and still more to lose I was horrified to find that my clothes are tight and I had put back on a stone..... so its nose to the grindstone again. If I can get through a two week period of getting it right then I get into the flow.

TF..... I have loved sewing again. My fabric arrived from ebay and I have a few projects lined up. First will be my bunting... then a little round bag with pockets inside and a handle that can be used to putting sewing things in or makeup etc. If that goes well I might make some for Xmas presents (I know it is only May :yikes:) Then I found a little pattern for a scissor holder. I wanted to do some little projects as they go quickly and I don't have to sit there for hours. Let me know what you decide to get. As mentioned before, mine is a lower end of the range sewing machine but am really enjoying it. Its amazing all the crafts and ideas you can find on Youtube that suddenly you just "have to" make :egypdance:

You know i really think it helps when you know someone who has made a good recovery. I think that watching my mother at the age of 76 having both hers done last year with incredibly good recoveries made me realise that it didn't have to take ages to get back to normal life. I am not saying that I wasn't prepared for mine to be different... but that it is great to keep the option open that all will go well. I have been thrilled reading your updates Toothfairy because you have been the same. I kept thinking...gosh is she can do that so can I - using my common sense... which did appear most of the time..... (apart from jet washing patios though :whistle:) The only thing I am in awe of is that you are having your second done in June. I did have that option but couldn't bear the thought that my new knee was going to become my best knee just yet. Mine next LTKR is going to be in October but am sure it will be later as they are incredibly booked up at the hospital and I ended up having it 2 months late.

I have been looking very enviously at the Traditional/classic womens bikes around. Some are totally out of my price range .... in fact most are.... but they look wonderful. Sitting up straight is a great bonus as my lower back is bad and of course it has to have a basket :bicycle1: It could be that I am having a Mary Poppins moment, imaging myself riding around looking wonderful but I am very tempted. I thought I wouldn't be able to ride until my second knee is done but I think I could do little 10-15 mins up the road for the paper. Not quite yet but almost there. Knee obvously won't be perfect but I am edging it along.

So... back to work now as the coffee and salad have gone down a treat.

Rosie XXXXX
 
back on my diet as of yesterday
Rosie, this is NOT the time to be going on a diet. Your body needs lots of protein and carbs to feed that energy drain. Remember you are still only 8 weeks out which is extremely early yet.
 
Hi Rosie - what a great post. All your craft stuff sounds really nice and will certainly keep you busy.

Looks like you'll be joining our little peloton in le Tour de Bonesmartis very soon.!!

Take care, best wishes

fernie
:flwrysmile:
 
Hi Rosie, good to read such an upbeat post. I have had to delay my sewing machine plans as my knee has been having a few tantrums this last week, totally self inflicted! I has a lovely trip to meet my beautiful and perfect new grandaughter and got back last night pretty exhausted with a very stiff leg. It is feeling much better today but I am planning to spend the next couple of days resting, icing, elevating and knitting. Hopefully by Monday I will manage a trip to the sewing machine shop. My daughter is already putting in requests for nursery curtains and blackout linings to be added to my older grandaughters curtains so I better get my machine and get used to it fairly soon.
I haven't ventured onto my outdoor bike yet but I hope to go for a spin round the block very soon. Hopefully my legs will be ready as I am still pedalling away on my exercise bike.
I am really pleased that you are finding my posts helpful. The great thing about this forum is that we all help each other by sharing our ups and downs and laughter.
Happy Friday,
Hugs, Toothfairy x :SUNsmile: :yay:
 
Hi Rosie,
Happy Wednesday, I hope you enjoyed your weekend. How was the champagne?
Exciting news, I bought my sewing machine yesterday. After much Internet research and hands on trial in a couple of sewing machine shops I finally chose the Janome DKS30 which hadn't been on my list of possibles! I made the mistake of trying it in the shop and found it really good. I only got it late afternoon yesterday so I need to get aquainted with it. I am in the post purchase 'argh what have I done stage' that I always go through after finally choosing something. I have read the manual ( sad) and watched the DVD and managed to thread it and have a little play last night. I am planning to spend more time with the book getting to know its features and then I will use some spare fabric to make a cushion cover just to get back into the swing of things. Then the fun will begin. I need to go and buy some nice fabric.
Hope your week is going well,
Hugs, Toothfairy x :yes!: :yes:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom