Lounge Doctor
Ask the Expert Webinar

TKR ROM-chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.

vallee

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Ahh @bumknees09 all of the above D, it can be so difficult to stay positive and its a lonely long road of recovery but hopefully the following day the answer will not be D. there are some pretty dark days we hit through TKR etc. and thank goodness for bonesmart because we have support and answers makes it less lonely.
its true small accomplishments are important and try not to compare to others are none of us are the same
hope you feel better tomorrow x

Country
United States United States
@bumknees09 I am going to be next for Mua. One of the things that upset him was the new trauma my pt did to me. He is for using the leg in walking, moving and gentle stretch. He said after next surgery I am to ice back as much as front and he likes the stretch I found where you lay on bed on stomach and let your leg hang off so gravity helps stretch. That is all I know so far as I have adhesions in the back and one side. I will be glad when that is gone. I do know exactly what you mean about that pulling and pain. Funny, now the other knee is causing most of the pain as long as I do not move so the adhesions feel that ripping feeling in the right knee. Yeah your area that was reripped so I guess will be like starting over but just that small part. My DR said you can't hurt the knee but you can hurt the tissues. Rest, walk small distances like to bathroom, stretch, ice. Try to nap at least once a day too. I also agree no pt will ever hurt me again. Sorry you are feeling so down. In a year they say we will forget all this. Yeah, not me.

OP
OP
B

bumknees09

Country
Once again after reading everyone's reply/post I need to stop whining a bit. It's not like I have chronic pain. This will go away eventually - right now it stinks but it's not here forever. Just like anything else I guess when it's actually going on it seems and feels monumental and like it's not gonna end. Do you know what I mean? You know rationally it's going to end but in the middle of it it's hard to see the forest through the trees as they say.

I don't know if I stated this earlier but I now have PT four times a week for the next three weeks I think and then it goes three times a week for three or four weeks. So it's a lot, although I am grateful for it certainly. It's not easy. Not that I thought it would be but once again until you're doing it, you really don't think about it, at least I didn't. Between going to PT using my CPM machine and icing it, that literally takes up my entire day. I'm not joking.

On another front, even though my doctor added OxyContin last Friday after my MUA, I'm taking it twice a day and vicodan only as needed for breakthrough pain." I'm definitely not feeling as loopy. Soon I'm gonna ask him about driving because I'm already sick to death of trying to line people up to take me to PT. I wouldn't even be thinking about asking him if I didn't think I could do it. I'm actually pretty confident that I'll be completely fine and if I try and I'm not. Then obviously I would stop immediately.

I did run into a woman I know today a PT who had her hip replaced the same day I had my TKR. You would not know in 1 million years that she had any kind of surgery she was walking around like normal for lack of a better word. She also told me that she was only on her pain meds for one day! I felt like screaming. I was a little envious to put it mildly.

Yes, I know were not supposed to compare ourselves to others recovery but it's a little hard not to sometimes don't you think? Well it is for me. And I'm not the type of person who normally would compare myself to other people. It's like a whole new world. Boooo!!

Haha! Hope everyone's day is going well. Thanks again for all your input and wonderful advice. I love love this site.

Last edited by a moderator:

tiredwife

alpha
Country
@bumknees09 That is a lot of PT, I think I would either cut it down to 3 days or quit using the CPM machine, you are going to end up with a lot of swelling and pain from overdoing it. What ever you do, do not use the CPM machine the same days you have PT. That is way too much!

OP
OP
B

bumknees09

Country
@tiredwife - good Lord, and here I was psyched that I was going to get PT four times a week for a few weeks and then taper down. I really didn't even think about the CPM machine as I'm sitting in it right now typing my little fingers off on my phone oh my God! Of course no one is said word one to me (PT or my doctor) about not using it on days that I have PT. The order says to use it three times a day for 16 days (since my manipulation last Friday. ) So that's what I've been trying to do. I'll have to call my doctors office tomorrow and ask them. I didn't think of it as necessarily over doing it. this machine doesn't seem like anything too strenuous. Maybe because it moves so slowly. snails pace to be exact! I'll check tomorrow. Good grief, last thing any of us wants to do is go backwards!!

kneeper

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
I wouldn't worry about the cpm. Use it as much as you feel comfortable with. I think the key is just to keep the knee moving, not to push it hard.

tiredwife

alpha
Country
@bumknees09 Didn't mean to worry you, I was just worried about you doing too much, but if the CPM doesn't cause pain and swelling use it. Some people complain about it hurting them. It sounds like they have it on a setting that isn't that hard on you, and that is good to hear. Are they pushing you at PT? I just know if hubby did PT 4 days a week he would be hurting! Just make sure they aren't causing you pain. If after PT you hurt or swell let them know to back off!

dovemck

Country
Australia Australia
I did run into a woman I know today a PT who had her hip replaced the same day I had my TKR. You would not know in 1 million years that she had any kind of surgery she was walking around like normal for lack of a better word. She also told me that she was only on her pain meds for one day! I felt like screaming. I was a little envious to put it mildly.
My hubby had a hip replacement about 2 1/2 years ago. The pre-op education session was for both hip and knee replacements so we figured we were on top of this and they'd be a similar fact situation. As you pointed out, we were WRONG!! So wrong and so unfair! Hubby had his bad days, but it was NOTHING like this. I have to remind him of that now and again.

And yeah, bumming rides is getting old. I see the surgeon again on September 12th, could be driving day then.

Last edited by a moderator:

vallee

Country
hi everyone @bumknees09 I quite agree about the driving and are we suppose to wait to be told we can drive as I took my car out yesterday firstly I was just going to see if I could get into the driver seat but that wasn't to bad managed to press clutch pedal down ok so I thought hey go round the road see how it goes, well it was ok for a very short drive as I couldn't really move my foot quick enough off the clutch but it felt good to be back in the driving seat. probably wont try again for a few more days
on another note my knee has been behaving really well not really any pain but today definitely got a dull ache is this normal for it to come and go? 2 steps forward then 1 step back is the name of this game

OP
OP
B

bumknees09

Country
@vallee - I get that dull ache quite a bit especially at night! I agree with you two steps forward, one back. So annoying!!! I did go to PT today two things ;one they said it's perfectly fine to use a CPM machine because it just keeps my knee moving. Unfortunately at some point during PT they pushed my knee back just a little too far and almost sent me through the roof of the building. I started crying and looked at her and said okay that's enough! They're trying to get an accurate measurement. they got 102° angle. Ask me if I care. I don't! I was so upset that I basically didn't say a word for the rest of my session which is very unlike me. I'm usually asking questions etc. I know she felt bad because she apologized a few times for pushing it. As I was leaving she said My orthopedic surgeon would be happy with the number they got today. I said to her "that's great! Tell him to give me a call when he gets a TKR" and I walked out. I have about had it!

vallee

Country
oh dear @bumknees09 that sounds awful, if your like me I hate crying just makes you feel like a wuss. to be honest the numbers mean nothing when your in pain and now you will probably suffer for pushing to hard, which I am at the moment, got a bit cocky yesterday did the little drive did lots of exercise and vacuumed dusted and made the evening meal oh dear my knee has become more swollen and stiff throughout the day and have not done much exercise just wont bend fingers crossed tomorrow it will be a bit better also had a dreadful sort of ripping feel when I did a squat yesterday I am hoping that is normal as I do have some scar tissue which the physio wants me to exercise away!!
one day we will remember these conversations and will smile as all will be good with our knees!!!!

OP
OP
B

bumknees09

Country
@vallee - geez, certainly does sound like you probably overdid it. I'm too exhausted to attempt making dinner. I'm gonna let my husband and son do it as long as I can. Ha ha! They don't seem to mind so..... Quite frankly too, my appetite is nill so, it's not like they're doing a lot of cooking for me. As far as vacuuming? Not happening. Honestly I don't think Id get a room done without something going wrong. So once again my son does that every few days and I'm hired one of my daughters to come over every couple weeks and power clean the whole house! Works for me. Luckily, my husband and kids have been fantastic. I would've had to go to rehab if they werent here doing all they did. Honestly, My almost 17-year-old son single-handedly took care of me the entire first week I was home when I was out in left field. While my husband was at work that is. Husband even installed sort of doorbell so I just have a little button in my room that I push, my son would come flying up the stairs in about a half a millisecond to see what I needed. He also checked on me about every 10 minutes. He was wonderful. I'm lucky! ❤

vallee

Country
@bumknees09 lol love the bell idea, we did have a cleaner come in but I thought I should start doing things myself just cant quite shake the guilty feeling and for some reason I imagine people will think I am lazy. thankfully hubby cooks most of the time I just wanted to do normal stuff it gets so boring just thinking about my knee. I get fed up very quickly, by the way how does your knee feel like now x

tiredwife

alpha
Country
@bumknees09 Hope you don't have any ill effects of them pushing your leg. We don't let them touch my hubby except to hold the measure thing up to him and to move the knee cap around. We had it happen with the first knee while still in the hospital and I reported her. It was uncalled for, without warning, and caused intense pain and swelling for a whole day!
Sounds like you have a wonderful family. Your 17 yr old sounds incredible, you should be proud of him! He was probably worried sick about you that first week! Ice and elevate and don't let her push you any more, a swollen knee won't bend!

tiredwife

alpha
Country
@vallee If it wasn't for the blood pooling behind his knee cap (which is slowly being absorbed now that he is off the blood thinners) this would have been an even easier recovery than his 1st knee. His flex is 107 and extension is 4 . The scar is even thinner than the 1st knee's and looks really good. It is just the pressure behind the knee cap causing pain that is holding him back. He stopped the blood thinners Tuesday, and today feels the pressure is letting up some.
I am doing okay, be doing better in September when my daughter starts her new babysitter watching the grandson instead of me. We want to sell the house and I have a lot to do to it first, and everything got put on hold for me to watch our grandson for the last 3 and a half years. We helped her and her husband out while she was in school to be a nurse , but she is an RN now and works in a hospital. It is time I get back to fixing our house.
The only things I have to do for hubby now, it cook, make sure he doesn't fall getting in and out of the tub, carry a few things for him, and wrap his ice thing on his leg at night. He is getting more independent every day. He is a little frustrated that he is still using crutches, this time 1st knee he was using a cane.
The hardest thing for me is that he still tosses and turns a bit, and gets up to pee a couple times at night so sleep is a bit allusive for us both. We get sleep, but it is broken.
Sounds like you have overdid it some! It is so hard to find that fine line between what you can and can't do, it seems the fine line moves all the time! Have a great day, ice and elevate.

Lauramacky

senior
Country
@bumkees09 Ouch! That sounds so painful! I don't blame you with that comment. When I had my right knee done 1-1/2 years ago, the in home therapist straightened my leg each time by pushing down on it. I would yelp in pain. I was still very bent as I went to out patient therapy after that. After six weeks of out patient therapy, my leg was bent at 15. Finally I switched therapists...so this is probably now two months after I had my TKR and the new therapist put a weighted blanket like thing across my thigh, knee and shin as my leg was extended in front of me while sitting on a table. I got to zero the first time. It was very uncomfortable but not that horrible pain when the therapist pushed down manually. OMG that was awful. My new in home therapist for my left leg believes in the gentle approach thank goodness. I'm still probably at 15 but it's only been one week and she said there is absolutely no reason to rush it.

Maybe time for a new therapist. I have a hard time returning to people like the one who did that to you. Keep us posted.

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

OP
OP
B

bumknees09

Country
@vallee - re:feeling guilty about not doing household chores? I did too but quickly got over it, Which is a bit miraculous because I'm a bit of a neat freak. Now? I'm too tired to care. Re: how my knee is feeling right now? Ok. I'm on my second round of having it in the CPM machine. I did it a few hours back too. Supposed to do it three times a day but that's not happening today. And after I'm done with this hour I need to ice it again. As I stated before, theres not enough hours in the day!
@tiredwife - I am so self-absorbed here, I haven't asked how you were OR your hubby. I'm so sorry! You sound Like Wonder Woman! My daughters in nursing school right now And I have two grandsons. An 8 your old and a four-month-old. We've helped out with 8 year-old since he was born and now I'm going to be watching the four-month old one day a week, WHEN my knee is all better! (His other grandmother ) has the other two days. Anyway, that's a lot, tending to your hubby and watching a 3 1/2yr old? Phew! God Bless you. You've got way more energy than I do!
@Lauramacky - you're one of those people I'm now marveling at who had a TKR done and then went and had the other one done!! OMG!! I swear to you I'm gonna have to be dragging and I mean dragging my right leg behind me before ever get this done again. I do not know how any of you have done that! (And a lot of you have

Status
Not open for further replies.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dep
Recent bookmarks