TKR ROM-chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.
@tiredwife - good morning. I'm fine today. I appreciate you checking in. Regarding her previous post I didn't think anybody else was critiquing me except Josephine a bit tight frankly. I'm all for constructive criticism/comments. Sometimes the way people say or write things can come off a little bit offensive. Myself included. Anywho, onward. I hope your hubby is feeling well today.

@bumknees09 Sorry I haven't gotten back before now, had company all weekend. I am just now getting back on. Glad you were fine yesterday morning, hope it carried on that way! Hubby over did it with company this weekend and has some pain in his thigh muscle. He is going to keep it elevated for the next couple of days. Have a great evening!

@bottomshollow - love the graphic you added. Thank you for posting. Yeah it's awful absolutely awful. My husband thinks I should not go w/out the pain pills because I'm limping around in pain. he thinks I should just back up to one instead of two per dose. Your thoughts?
Another issue or strange phenomenon that's going on- (no, it's NOT menopause!) I've been mostly freezing cold since I had surgery. I mean unusually cold. At times I have on several layers and several blankets if I'm in bed. This does not only occur when i'm icing. When I say cold, I mean I'm shivering right to the bone my whole body. Has this happened to anyone else??
I should title my thread "issue of the day Or "issue of the hour " geez!

I could have written this post too!! So many of the same problems. I think getting off the meds give us that chilled to the bone feeling. I sure hope you feel better. I am just taking it one day at a time. My appetite isn't good yet I haven't had a pain pill since the 18th of Aug. I am still waiting for normal me back. Thankfully I have been ok with tylenol.

Good Morning all!! Hope today finds you all doing well. Happy Labor Day weekend

:yahoo:Hi bumknees09 happy labor weekend to you too. unfortunately us brits don't have that holiday although we had a bank holiday last weekend. hope you are doing something nice
also I hope your knee is improving . I had my OS appt weds and have a month to improve my ROM otherwise I will be having an MUA although I am not unduly worried about that but of course I need to try first. I am allowed to drive and can get in the pool yippee so I will be exercising in water from Monday. have to say I have been very lucky and don't seem to have any pain so no medicines for me apart from ice and elevation so thank goodness no more constipation issues yay

Hope you're enjoying the holiday weekend!!! It's a great weekend here at the lake!!!

Been off this site for a bit. Hope everyone is well. I'm heading on two months out and my ROM is around 102• and doesn't seem to be moving much off of that. I'm doing eveything I can. Exercises. Icing. Resting. It's very depressing quite frankly. It feels stiff and weird and I'm a little worried. I know everyone heals differently BUT, has anyone out there felt like this two months after TKR? I feel like I'm on another planet trying to explain to someone who's never had this, how strange it is. I could sure use some help. Thanks

@bumknees09 I know you aren't the only one on here that has that issue. ROM will stall out sometimes. Are you still swollen, sounds like it if you are still stiff. Maybe you are overdoing it and need to rest it a couple of days. Make sure you elevate often! You can tag in Josephine if you want her opinion and help.

Hi @tiredwife ~ can always count on you! yes, I still have some swelling so I guess that's part of the stiffness. I don't think I've been overdoing though. Honestly, I'm too tired to overdue!! I should elevate more, (doing that right now) beyond that, I don't know.

I think the swelling will definitely impede your ROM. I wouldn't worry. Elevate and ice and let the swelling heal. One think they did at physical therapy that I found pretty comfortable doing is sitting in a chair, put a towel on the floor and pull it towards you and each day it seems to get easier, finally getting the towel under the chair along with your bent knee....does that make sense?? All the best to you and yes we can always count on tiredwife, what a sweetie!!!!!

I'm heading on two months out and my ROM is around 102• and doesn't seem to be moving much off of that. I'm doing everything I can. Exercises. Icing. Resting. It's very depressing quite frankly. It feels stiff and weird and I'm a little worried. I know everyone heals differently BUT, has anyone out there felt like this two months after TKR?

You're not alone! Almost all of us have worried at times about our ROM.

However, you are only two months out and it's very early days still. At this stage, 102 is not bad at all. Your recovery is not complete by two months, so allow yourself more time.

Do remember that ROM can continue to increase for a year or more. There really is no rush. Even if you seem to have stalled for a while, you will improve.

You're doing the right things - icing and elevating. I wonder if you might be working too hard at the exercises? You can't increase ROM by working hard at it. All you need are a few, gentle exercises, as well as walking.

I wonder if this might help you?
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”

Thank you again, one and all. I so appreciate the input. You've been lifesavers since the beginning. I do have another question/slight worry...... I'm exhausted when I do anything! And I mean anything. Walk around? Tired. Go to the store? Tired. Literally do one thing, doesn't seem to matter what and I'm pretty much shot for the rest of the day. I'm suppose to volunteer on the 19th at A memorial golf tournament for one of my cousins, this is the fifth year and I'm their top volunteer! But all I do is drive a golf cart around all day selling tickets to different things. I don't know if I can do it it's all day! My best friend who does the tournament with me, is checking in with me daily to see if I'm getting any more energy and feeling better. While I am feeling better, the energy level is about zero! I am on meds, but I've tapered off when I can. My OS has me on tramadol now. That seems to work pretty well and its not a narcotic so I'm glad about that.

No. It's too soon to do this volunteer day! For once, let someone else do it. People need to realise that it takes a long time to recover from this very major operation.

Tired all the time? Did you ever read this article?
Energy drain for TKRs
Your body is still expending most of its energy on healing your knee.

However, it is worth checking that you are not anaemic, because a low haemoglobin level makes you tired, too.

It was a long time - about four months - before I could do more than one thing without feeling wiped out for the rest of the day.

Energy drain lasts quite a while, so you're normal. I'm still having some and I'm back at work.

Thanks again- I just looked at "energy drains for TKR" . I believe I looked at this a month ago (of course I forgot!) the graphics that josephine did are right on the money! How very strange this whole thing is. I really need to allow myself the time that I need to heal and get thru this. I think I've been somewhat (unknowingly ) fighting it.

@bumknees09 Hubby was just starting to get some of his energy back when he had his second knee done. It is a slow process. Protein will help with energy and healing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello all~ hope you all had a nice weekend. I need help! Let me preface thus by saying I have an appt with my GP this week. I am so extremely tired and still getting nauseous everyday! Practically anything I eat makes me feel that way. I've tried not taking meds for hours to see if that helps. It doesn't! I'm on my fourth pain med. Two months tomorrow I got my TKR! I've lost 20 lbs! Have zero energy to do hardly anything. I know I've asked but has anyone felt this way? It seems extreme to me. I take multivitamin, probiotic, TRY to eat well etc.....

Glad you have an appointment with your GP. He should run a full panel of blood work. After this surgery it could be anything or nothing. I was anemic, low electrolytes, low blood platelets, low thyroid levels. I would get one thing fixed and something else would happen. You don't however want to take anything until after your doctor visit. I did find after six months I slowly started getting my stamina back. Good luck this week!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker