Roll Call

Status
Not open for further replies.
In school, did you all have to get under your desks and cover your heads for protection from the nuclear bombs???
Those people were crazy..
It's like showing me the life vest on an airplane..When have they found survivors wearing life vests?

Yes, I remember those drills.... ridiculous. Now we (still) do fire drills and earthquake drills here on the west coast. When I lived at the coast we also did Tsunami drills.

I think the life vests are actually for a more accurate body count.....
 
In school, did you all have to get under your desks and cover your heads for protection from the nuclear bombs???
Those people were crazy..
It's like showing me the life vest on an airplane..When have they found survivors wearing life vests?

We lived in Alaska in the mid 1950's and getting under the desks was nothing. A couple of times a year the base would have a practice alert. The men would pack their bags and go some place...we never knew where. The spouses and children would pack up and drive into the mountains to a cave where we would stay for a period of time and drink bottled water and eat C-rations. As a stupid kid, I used to think it was all pretty fun. I got to eat all the chocolate bars in the boxes and I loved all the little surprise food packages. Forrest Gump...you never knew what you were gonna get. I'm thinking while I was chomping all the chocolate, my Mom was smoking up all the Lucky Strikes that were in each box!!! I never figured out why we had to go to a cave, though. I guess they thought the Russians might bomb the base and we'd all be saved that way.
 
I do remember those drills. We were just discussing them last weekend. What a total waste. Like my wooden desk would totally protect me from fallout.

All this stuff about missle crises, etc. makes you think twice about whom to vote for this November. If Hillary is in or about to enter menopause... DO NOT ELECT HER!! She's going to be so unpredictable and cranky - am I right guys? LOL
 
I do remember those drills. We were just discussing them last weekend. What a total waste. Like my wooden desk would totally protect me from fallout.

All this stuff about missle crises, etc. makes you think twice about whom to vote for this November. If Hillary is in or about to enter menopause... DO NOT ELECT HER!! She's going to be so unpredictable and cranky - am I right guys? LOL

Please just don't elect her for any reason! Don't like any of them. Who's had a TKR. I'll vote for that one. LOL
 
Being in the state capital, we had every President, Vice President, and other high ranking govt. official come here and do their politicking.
As a member and eventual Commander of the S.W.A.T. Team, since 1980, I had to interact with the Presidential Security Team. A great, highly dedicated bunch of folks. They recognized that even in their positions as Federal Law Enforcement, they could be transferred to a remote post in a second if they got the wrong person mad.
President Clinton was the ONLY sitting dignitary that I ever heard openly criticized by some of the team members. Not only did he change the itinerary on the spot. (a significant security issue) but those responsible for Hillary counted the days until the assignment was over. There were other things that I won't mention but I hate the thought of either of them being back in the White House.
 
Interesting insight, Doug, from a first-hand perspective. I'll be glad when we finally get to the two candidates so the real mud-slinging can begin. I just hate how dirty politics has become. It's a high dollar business for sure. I think we're in for a wild summer and fall! I just hope the riots that are being promoted for Denver don't come to pass. That will be a real bad thing for our country if that occurs....just sayin'.
 
In general, the dignitary escorts are lots of fun...I've been on some very wild rides getting them to different venues.
The President and Vice President have always have some type of cool radio name, like "Wild eagle", etc.
And they travel very "heavy". People have no idea at the ability of their security team to protect the president.
I agree, I'll be glad when it gets to the two primary candidates. I'll be very happy when it is all over with. They have made the "political season" way too long this time.
What else will be on the news after the elections?..
 
There is always the recession, Doug. That has my attention!
 
hi guys and guyettes,
my name is Jim. I've been a member for around 5 weeks now, but the first time I posted anything was 4/28.
I'm 3 weeks out (today). I had a LTKR done on the 8th.
I'm doing good. Walking with a cane (most of the time anyway). This is my 2nd knee repl. I had a partial LKR back in '95. That one started backing out this past Dec. and the Dr. and I decided it was time to get the whole unit done. I'm with Kaiser out here in San Diego. I've read some of your entries that all of you enter regarding the pain meds. They have me on Methodone and Motrin and for "breakthrough" pain I have Tylenol #4 ( I don't really need that though, yet), Anyway, just a little of my thing. See ya.
 
Hi Jim and welcome. keep posting and keep healing. Jen
 
Hello Jim,
13 years on a PKR? I would be happy with that for my new LPKR! Congratulations!
And best wishes on your new knee recovery. Sounds like you are off to a good start. Keep taking good care of yourself and stay with us. There's no other group quite like this one.... might be a good thing....Ha!


hi guys and guyettes,
my name is Jim. I've been a member for around 5 weeks now, but the first time I posted anything was 4/28.
I'm 3 weeks out (today). I had a LTKR done on the 8th.
I'm doing good. Walking with a cane (most of the time anyway). This is my 2nd knee repl. I had a partial LKR back in '95. That one started backing out this past Dec. and the Dr. and I decided it was time to get the whole unit done. I'm with Kaiser out here in San Diego. I've read some of your entries that all of you enter regarding the pain meds. They have me on Methodone and Motrin and for "breakthrough" pain I have Tylenol #4 ( I don't really need that though, yet), Anyway, just a little of my thing. See ya.
 
WRT pain meds, I called my doctor today and asked for something a bit less potent but not OTC. We'll see what he says. He's out until Thursday. I told them I needed to ease off the hydrocodone but still have pain from riding the bike or overdoing things. At 19.5 weeks, he may not want to give me any more. We shall see.
 
hi everyone,
thanks for the good thoughts beachcomber. I was real happy with the time I got out of the first PKR. at first the surgeon said I would probably only get 8 to 10 years, so it was a good thing. BTW, I had the same surgeon this time around as I did the first time. kinda cool. hope everyone is having a good day. talk to you soon.

Jim
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom