Guest viewing is limited

TKR Roger got a new left knee

Roger, just found those pics! LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT! I agree--taking yourself too seriously is just a pain. Nothing beats a really good sense of humor----and you've definitely got that.

I'm a firm believer that if you can't laugh at yourself, you haven't the right to laugh at others. And sister, I'm very funny...:hysterical:
 
Balancing life is always fun, trying to cram as much in a day as I can and not bother my back, is tricky. Case in point. I'm lucky enough to work 4 day weeks, those extra couple hours aren't bad after you get used to them. My commute is about an hour each way. But I still try to get something done at home each day. Fast forward to the present. I visit my wife in the hospital on the weekends. Butlast weekend, this one and next I won't be in each day since I am helping my son with his truck.

[Bonesmart.org] Roger got a new left knee

We started with this...

And stripped it bare, no engine, no wiring, no interior. (everything in the cab is just being stored as garage space is at a premium!)
[Bonesmart.org] Roger got a new left knee

So we have it sitting like this.

Now we are stripping his Ford Explorer to put its motor and transmission, wiring harness and interior into the truck. And we are almost done with that. The truck should get a little better mileage than the SUV since it weighs a lot less. When done, the truck won't look that much different than when we started. But should be even more fun to drive, and more comfortable. We are adding air conditioning and cruise control from the SUV...

Yesterday visited with my wife with my son. It was her birthday. Then he and I hit a couple junkyards for some parts. Got home and got a little accomplished. I tweaked my back a bit in the junkyard, but recognized it before I hurt myself.

I know I talk a lot of my back, but my knee is still amazing in as much I just don't even think about it through the day. I really wish I could share this feeling with everyone that is having troubles healing, or give those discouraged a glimpse of what will be.
 
Roger this is exactly what my son and husband would do with a truck. My son has completely gutted an S10 down the the frame which just went in for powder coating on Friday. It is good that you and your son have that interest and can spend that time together while your wife is not at home.

I guess that you think about your back in the way that most of us think about our knees. I am still waiting for the day when I just don't notice it, but that day has not come yet. It bothered me while sleeping last night but I guess that is from the 21 mile bike ride that I did.

Take care of that back and feel blessed that your knee feels so great. It is encouraging to look forward to. :thumb:
 
WOW, what a story. You really are an inspiration.
 
Beledi, thank you. I never set out to be an inspiration though. I'm just a guy doing what I need to to get through each day. After my back injury, I could easily decide to just sit back and do nothing. Sorry, that s not who I am. When I had the knee replaced, I decided I needed to get myself back i. Shape, and be more active. Well, accidents happen, and mine was big... But, I feel a desire to mae the most of this second chance...

Bonnie, I really do feel a lot the same with the back recovery. But not pushing it nearly as hard as I did with the knee (and got away with it too!)... I enjoy spending the time with my son. His wife is understanding for the kost part. She is staying with her parents and helping her younger sister get ready for her wedding later this month. My son helped is in laws prep their back yard for the wedding reception before getting out to my place to work on the truck. His truck was his first car. And we had to park 5 years ago because of some safety issues. One thing lead to another, many parts were thrown at it, but we never finished it. Now, it will have more power, air conditioning and better seats. And, out of my driveway... Finally. I have plans for the stuff we took out of the truck though. And its for me and me only. Yeah, seems selfish. Making progress despite a couple snags on wrong parts received. We might get it started by the end of the weekend...

Of course, I need to finish wiring harness changes...
[Bonesmart.org] Roger got a new left knee

Its been a real thorn in my side... Stuff to cut out, stuff to add, cut, solder, heatshrink, repeat...:rolleyespink:
 
Tim, there is so much more wire there than you can tell by the photo.
 
One was mine, I choose to drink Diet Mt. Dew, one empty is the daughter's as is the empty Slurpee cup. An empty Diet Pepsi bottle, empty Gatorade G2 bottle and my ever present water bottle... And, a bottle of beer... Yes, the house is a mess right now, and when the truck is done and running, I'll clean up a bit better. I live in a dry climate, so hydration is everything brother!!
 
I have to admit that I also got a chuckle when I saw the perplexed look on your face and the tray full of empties! It looked like you had pulled an all-nighter!!! Great photo!!!

Now, when you're done, come redo my '66 Mustang, will you??? I'm looking for someone....
 
Oh well, I never saw the empties! My head spun when I looked at all the pretty colors that wire comes in! Boys will be boys.

Jamie, I'd like to GET your '66 mustang. It is my dream car! It would need to be totally gutted to get the 5 speed transmission, power brakes, steering....

I hope your back is coming along Roger.
Sandy
 
Jamie, if I came for that 66 Mustang, you probably wouldn't get it back! I've had a pair of 65s, a 67 and a 72. I would love any one of them back today. But they are an expensive hobby anymore. But to dream, a 65/66 convertible, 6 speed manual and stroked smallblock would be fun. Modern suspension and brakes to make it livable and more fun to drive in the mountains.

Sandy, I was SOOO tired of lookng at the colors in the wiring, especially with too many similar colors and not contrasting striping...

In the end, Sunday we got things underhood buttoned up and all connected, my wiring mdifications and shortened harness' all connected, so we put a battery in the truck and checked for proper lighting. Once we replaced a couple bulbs, we had all lights working. So, we turned the key to "ON" and checked other electrical functions. And we are pleased. Well, we had to hear it run then. Made sure we had fluids in (oil and such), double checked the fuel lines were connected and solid... And twisted the key to start... And it did. Cranked a bit, but started and runs. Of course we are happy...
[Bonesmart.org] Roger got a new left knee

Click the picture for a video, and turn the speakers on, its fun and loud...

Needs more done, but the hardest part is over....

My wife has been doing pretty good, healing slowly, enough so though, she is having her second procedure done tomorrow. A flap revision to cover the still open wound from the bed sore/pressure sore. She will be on bed rest afterwards. 9 days in the hospital where the surgery will be done, and 4 WEEKS back in the long term acute care center.. Her nutrition levels are up, she has been doing physical therapy and is doing good. And she is walking with more speed and stamina than I've seen in better than 2 years. So maybe this whole evolution is a positive thing after all.
 
Quick note... My wife's procedure went well last week. She had a small "capsule" of blood/clot that was under the skin on her stomach from daily injections. This bled badly after the capsule was removed and she went back in surgery Sunday to clean that and close it back up. So far, no more issue.

My back is quite sore in a spot I'm not used to being sore. I'm hoping its just muscle related. Or slept on it wrong or something. But will contact my surgeon if it doesn't get better quickly. And helping my son with his truck, we had an oil leak that required us to remove the motor and fix the issue and get it back in. Need to finish buttoning things up. But that might be slowed a bit since I'm really concerned I might have hurt myself.

I'll admit to a small level of frustration, considering this time a year ago, I could walk around with boxes of heavy equipment with little issue. I am able to do so much more than just 6 months ago, but feel I will never be back to "normal".
 
Roger;
I'm with you there.Although if you lose hope then there is nothing left.
It is difficult to adapt to a life change. I understand exactly what you are feeling, although a year ago I was being pulled off work. I am still out, still taking pain meds, recovering from a revision, blah,blah,blah.


We just have to take each day as it comes and try not to go back to when it was better. It brings on sadness and pity parties. I have one a day still.
I for one, would have never have predicted that a procedure to improve my life so I could get around with less pain has led me here.

You really don't know what the future holds, but living in the past is dissapointing and won't bring it back.
Maybe your life won't be 'normal' again. I know for sure mine won't, but we have to try to adjust to what our bodies will allow us to do.

Maybe you will get a bit more improvement in your back to enjoy some of the things that you loved to do...like tearing apart and putting together old trucks...(Do you ever have any parts left over????:what:).

I really wish I could believe for sure what I am telling you.
It is really hard to accept a new reality, even when it is forced on us.
I hear your pain. I am where you are. We have to make a new "normal"
Best,
Sandy
 
Sandy, I'm not losing hope, but yes, frustration gets the better of me once in a while. I'm often accused of being a hopeless optimist, but find myself a pessimist more than people realize. You know what a pessimist is right? An optimist with experience!!! Its been almost a year now since I jumped off that ATV... For perspective. But trust me, I know I'm OK, but I'm only human.:skeptical:

Sister, I just can't imagine what you've been through. I can only imagine what its like in your head (and pretty sure most folks don't want in MY head!!!). Just knowing that you are willing to share helps even me. And *I* do appreciate that.:friends:

Knowing the future would be pointless, and would make life boring. To a small degree, we all must make our own future with what tools we have before us. Knowing I might crash on a given day or bike ride might keep me from even leaving the house. Life has risk, we just minimize the risk where we can. Once I knew I could walk, I knew I couldn't just take things easy for the rest of my life. I'm too young to not live the life still before me. :yes 4:

Leftover parts? I think I need a better definition of leftover parts. In this case, yes, there are a lot of leftovers. Enough to build another vehicle. Depending on the project, I usually don't have too many. I also tend to buy replacement hardware as I go. Adult ADD makes it tough at times to keep my head on task, so I have to try and channel a friend's OCD problems to keep projects under control. I will say I rarely have anything important leftover. Which is why I'm very careful before even putting a battery in a project vehicle. I need a white board to put on my wall, because I always lose my notebooks that I keep tabs of my projects with. I have three projects I want to get to this summer, if funding stays available to me. But my son's truck needs to be finished before I can move forward on any of them. (one project isn't expensive, and might be a bicycle!!!)

Normal? I have mentioned to new members of this forum, "normal" needs to be constantly adjusted. Back to normal for TKR might be a return to pain? Then set a new normal, some of us hurt long enough and bad enough we forgot what painfree life was like. Along the way, normal shifts as we heal. I don't like today's normal, but tomorrow's might be better... Oh gee, there is that pesky optimist again!!!:scratch:

I think you believe yourself. But like all of us, have trouble believing IN yourself. I know I do at times. But then, we're only human. (um, don't believe anything my daughter might say on that subject!)
[Bonesmart.org] Roger got a new left knee

Then again, would you believe anything this guy says?:rolleyespink:

Be well, Sandy, be well!
 
My friend once described me as macawberish. I had to work it out but it means always seeing something better around the corner. I hope it doesnt mean I miss what is happening right now but I suppose it could be a worse trait. Wish I had the skills and knowledge to help OH build classic cars as he would love to do it but neither of us are mechanically minded enough. We did do a Mini once for our daughter it was great fun and I sprayed painted it it looked great we took the engine and gear box out and redid the wiring we did have help from a friend who was a mechanical engineer in the air force though. They had a good time doing it.
Hope our back is not damaged and it is just a bit of muscle strain
 
You know Roger, I was just sitting (well laying, did too much today and it is only 1pm), and talking with my DH about me being able to give sage advice but not follow it!
I have my own issues with pessism/optimism (don't we all??), and today is particularily depressing as it is raining. My bones hate when it rains. I have so much stuff to do, and none of it can be done laying in bed.

New Normal. Heh.

I can't believe itas been 1 year for you since your accident!
This month marks my 1 year out on medical leave.
Yeah, I've lost alot, and things will never be the same, even IF I can ever go back to work. I was very physically active at my job.
Now with my back the way it is, as well as my continuing recovery pain in my knee, I can't do the little sideways twisting movement we all take for granted. Oh well, so be it.
I don't know how much pain you are in on a daily basis, but I suffer at between a 3 and a 5 on the pain scale.
That is WITH pain meds.
I am finally accepting the probable fact that I will be on pain meds for the forseeable furture and maybe always.

I just wish I could take my own messages to heart and believe in them fully.
Maybe then, I will feel "normal"
Best to you,
Sandy
 
Nah, its only been 10 months since my bicycle wreck. But its been a year this week since I jumped off the back of that ATV in my avatar...

HP, I wish I could afford classic cars... Mechanically, I can do the work. As far as body work goes, not so much! I think it would be a gift to have the ability to see something better around the corner, but see the pitfalls, if you didn't take opportunities in front of you because something better MIGHT be out there...

I hurt bad enough yesterday I actually took some Oxycontin, which I still have from my back surgery. It helped. But then I couldn't sleep. and decided not to go to work today. I just got up about an hour ago and feel better, but I really hate wasting my day in bed. But I obviously needed the sleep.

Anyway, letting the rest of the day slip away and relax. Pretty sure its just muscle issues. I have a pretty decent feel for this now and I'm rested so, I'll go to the gym later and soak in the whirlpool. That is always nice.

And on the positive side, my knee is taking it all in stride, waiting for the rest of me to get with the program and go hiking or something. Patience knee... All in good time.

Sandy, I still hear that doctor in you. Not bad, but sometimes the hardest thing is to set aside one of your inner voices for a bit. (Oh great, now you all think I'm a split personality!) You need a degree each of pessimism and optimism. Without either though, I'm not sure how we would ever make any decisions.

I am going to an All Jeep show this weekend at the local race track. There is even some local level offroad racing going on. And in 2 weeks, I'll take my Jeep for my first offroad excursion since my accident. There is an organized trail cleanup and its practically in my back yard. I'll see how much I can help, and how I manage the bumps and such.
 
Hi Roger! This is the first time I've posted in your thread. I'm sitting here with my Dynasplint on
broken link removed: https://www.dynasplint.com/uploads/pages/34_original.jpg (no that's not my knee)
[Bonesmart.org] Roger got a new left knee
and reading through the entire thread. I commend you on your terrific attitude!!!
[Bonesmart.org] Roger got a new left knee
I'm at 4 months post op from my RTKR and am finally realizing that I am going to survive this thing! I am still in the Cranky Stage, but I do have moments when I almost think I'm going to be "Normal" again.




Don't ask my husband because he'll tell you that I've never been 'normal.'
[Bonesmart.org] Roger got a new left knee
He's a
[Bonesmart.org] Roger got a new left knee
but I love him! We've been married 46 years this past May 29th! My husband is with me in my avatar above.



I love looking at your photos that you've posted (well, except the ones of your scar and the one of you having hand surgery) I can't look at those.
[Bonesmart.org] Roger got a new left knee
I'm also not into sports like you and your bike thingy
[Bonesmart.org] Roger got a new left knee
and almost fainted when I saw your avatar of you jumping off it!
[Bonesmart.org] Roger got a new left knee
I'm the dancer (ballroom dancer/instructor - retired) but hope to get back to dancing again for my own enjoyment!
[Bonesmart.org] Roger got a new left knee
But, no longer professionally! This is my professional dance partner with me...



[Bonesmart.org] Roger got a new left knee
[Bonesmart.org] Roger got a new left knee



Glad to hear that your wife is also on the mend.
[Bonesmart.org] Roger got a new left knee
We have to take care of ourselves and our loved ones!


Keep up the good work and keep us updated and inspired! And, add photos too!
[Bonesmart.org] Roger got a new left knee
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom