Guest viewing is limited

TKR Roger got a new left knee

You wonderful ladies, thanks!

I do work outdoors and get to wear shorts... And the kilt now and again.
 
Ah, the kilted lads are out in tow. You look fab in your kilt! A day in a kilt is a good one and a reminder that you have lived yet another day to enjoy the small pleasures of life.
 
Like I tell my daughter, after all I've been through, I'll wear what I wish and anyone that doesn't like it, well.... I'm too nice a guy to say it here!

Funny thing. I'm 22 months post and my scar started itching really bad the other day. Just out of the clear. Really weird and really random. While I WAS on my knee a bit weekend before last, I can't recall anything I might have done to irritate it. I rubbed some Vaseline skin therapy on it for a few days and seems to be gone. But different. The whole scar.

Last Monday, I rode an upright stationary bike for 20 minutes, and stopped because I was short on time, but not sore. I hadn't tried that for about 6 months, and then I could barely tolerate more than 10-15 minutes before my back had enough. Since then, I've been on the same stationary bike for 20 minutes a couple more times. I imagine I can tolerate longer, but making sure before trying. I keep saying, I got away with a lot when I pushed during my knee recovery. THis back recovery is something else entirely...

So, backing up a few more days, on the 29th of Aug, I got rather enthusiastic with a task at work. We had to do some demolition of some really bad carpentry in an old warehouse. Swinging a sledgehammer and such was GREAT fun! And I felt REALLY good doing it!!! Middle of the night my back was tied up in knots and I didn't go to work... Muscle relaxers took a long time to catch up. So I CAN over do things... Saturday the 1st, I felt good enough to replace the fuel pump in my Jeep. Dropped the receiver hitch and skidplate, then dropped the tank (only a couple gallons in it!). Took some doing balancing the parts to get them back together, but got finished and felt really good... Two days later, was on the stationary bike! Its really nice I CAN do things, but I do still need to be careful what I do for a bit longer... DId I mention I have jogged a little? Just a few steps at a time, but I hope to consider a 5K next year. Depends on my back and my old knee... Yeah, I'm crazy....
 
You are nothing short of AMAZING!!!! :thumb:
 
I'm just a guy trying to get through life... I can just see it now, people following me like they did Forest Gump when he was running... :happydance: :tada:
 
All wearing kilts-----
[Bonesmart.org] Roger got a new left knee
 
I passed my 2 year anniversary the other day!!! Flew right by before I even really noticed it. For the folks just getting ready to go through this, or having a tough time right now, it really truly does get better. It won't always be easy, but it does get better.

In new news, my wife had a rough six months, after having the pressure ulcer cleaned, closed but then reopened, and cleaned again... She was allowed some time home with a wound vac and the ulcer healed some. At the end of Sept. she had surgery to finally close the wound. And she was allowed to come home the 30th of Oct. She has a very long road ahead still for physical therapy and has some IV therapy continuing. One day at a time and small steps to the goal.

We got a foot of snow the other day. We were expecting 2"... I shoveled since my snow thrower wouldn't start. Did OK, but a muscle relaxer that night helped me sleep. The knee isn't even an issue.
 
I'm sorry your wife has had a rough road. All the more reason that your own great recovery is behind you!
 
Congratulations on your anniversary!!! And hugs to both you and your brave wife. She (and you, my friend) have been through so much this past year. I'm glad that things are finally starting to track into the "plus" side. It's great that you have each other for that wonderful, positive support!!

But.....seriously....a FOOT of snow??? Yikes!!!!! Too soon for me!!!!
 
Thanks!!! Yes, a foot of snow... We had a couple inches two nights in a row a couple weeks ago. I do hope for more this year than last, we need the water. After brainstorming with a friend, NO beer involved, I have hatched an idea of epic proportions. I have an older snowthrower that has a dead engine. Freebie. I was given a Chinese made 150cc dirtbike on condition I don't use it as a motorcycle (owner won't give up the title, says the machine is cursed!). You got it, putting the dirt bike engine and transmission in place of the seized original. More horsepower, AND 5 speeds of throwing fun. Heavy wet snow, slush, last weeks paper I forgot to pickup, the neighbor's cat... Whatever is in its path I want throw! I hope to start on it this weekend. We'll see.

My wife is doing well, comparatively. Little bits of progress each week, so thats good. I wish I could loan her some of my healing super power... And me, I'm just plugging along taking it as easy as I want to. Pushing only as hard as I need to. The knee is awesome, the other knee is doing OK, my back is good but I still have spasms. Just never going to push it as hard as I pushed the knee. I'm still amazed with what I got away with!
 
I'm not absent, but haven't posted as much of late. QUICK catch up. As if my wife hasn't had enough of a rough time of late, she had a blood pressure crash on the 28th of Nov. Serious enough for a helicopter ride. She fell after standing and just didn't recover. She couldn't even get off the floor. She was still using home health for blood draws and the nurse couldn't reach her on the phone, so came by the house earlier than scheduled and found my wife on the floor. Another hour on the floor might have been the end. My wife is on blood thinners and had been on Warfarin pills and Lovenox (sic) shots. The night before, she had injected into her muscle (she has practically NO fat) and it started bleeding. She has lower BP than everyone normally... And the blood thinners were due to a blood clot in her leg. The next day they put a filter in her veins to catch a clot, dropped ALL thinners for the time being, and then removed the pooling blood at the injection site and make sure there wasn't any further bleeding. Funny thing, she bounced back FAST! The next morning she was moved from the Shock Trauma unit into a regular room. And was actually DISCHARGED 2 days later. And has done very well since. How well?

We went to Las Vegas 2 weeks later! Yep! We walked around some, at her pace and stamina... Took in a show and had a great time. The change of scenery were what she needed. Two weeks ago, she started going to the gym again. So, maybe we are around a corner finally. She has admitted its strange, she is feeling much better than she has for a couple years now. Easily before my TKR. Keeping our fingers crossed and taking few chances...

The remainder of the Holidays went well for both of us. We had record cold for January and snow that still hasn't melted with more snow on top. Been a good year for snow. My knee lets me know when I've been outside too long. And when the cold gets into my back, well, those rods and screws remind me its time to get inside. I realize the hardware isn't really all that cold, but its how the body is responding.

Some not so good news, we had to put our Mastiff to sleep lat week. Almost 9 years old, she had developed bone cancer. Her big thumping tail is what I miss most right now, since she could hear our feet hit the floor in the morning and the thumping started. The house is too quiet now. We still have the little ShihTzu, but its just not the same. That is the third dog in just over 7 years ago, our Schnauzer in Nov, 2006, our Akita in January 2009...

And I'm having something different going on. Last night my shoulder nerve muscles have become very active. Wearing a shirt is murder. Last night though, the whole affected area has become very painful. I didn't sleep well last night. Tonight its better, but still very "sensitive". I'll see my doctor if it doesn't get better soon. What I'm hoping is, that this is a positive thing with healing the nerves. I've been very happy switching from the neurontin medication to Lyrica. And I know I'm on a relatively low dose as it is. We'll see.

I know a lot of folks have read the article that is one of the healing stories. And a whole lot of new people have "LIKED" it. I sincerely appreciate that. And continue to hope that new readers to Bone Smart find something in that to take away and use for themselves. I know my own recovery was above average and some of my "antics" seem larger than life to some. Just know I am a very normal human being...
 
[Bonesmart.org] Roger got a new left knee
And I think you and your wife are testaments to this. So good to hear from you, Roger. I am just delighted that your wife has improved so much. The trip to Vegas sounds like a winner. And so sorry about your pet. They are family and are missed so much. Hope you get that shoulder up and running like it should.


Don't be such a stranger. Drop us a line a little more often. Take care. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Roger got a new left knee
 
I do visit, and read. My mind has been awfully occupied of late. I'm glad you are Neil and I LOVE following your posts here and elsewhere.
 
Appreciate the update. That is tremendous about your wife doing so well after such a scary time. May she continue to improve!

It is soooooo tough having animals and loving them. It doesn't help with the pain of loss to know it's the circle of life. The tail thumping every morning when your feet hit the floor, though, is proof that she thought she was a pretty lucky dog to have such a special family.

Here's hoping that the shoulder sensitivity is indeed that nerves growing back. I bumped my knee not too long ago and said a loud "Ouch!!" as it hurt quite a bit. And then I figured that if it hurt, that was a good thing as it meant my nerves were regenerating! :yes:

Keep on healing! :thumb:
 
The shoulder quieted down some, though my Lyrica dosage is up. House is still too quiet, but getting used to it.been in the gym some, but am getting committed more. My weight is up, and I am not pleased. The wife had a minor incident at the tanning salon, and hurt her shoulder. So she has been back to our favorite Physical Therapist. She is improving and will likely be done soon. PT has stretched my neck for me, I still have a 15 degree discrepancy left to right I still exercise for. Yesterday, he wanted to measure my knee ROM... He expects everyone to lose ROM after therapy... I am still an oddball, measured 140 with no real warm up... What other news? Oh our daughter is hoping we have turned the tide here. She is taking a job with better pay and benefits, but will be moving out. She has been a Godsend, deciding not to go back to school a week before breaking my back. We'll miss her, but she needs to move forward in life. (Besides, the dating pool in this town is fairly shallow!). She will be sharing an apartment with a college roomie, who happens to work for the same company our daughter will be working for. I wish her well, parents always love to see their children succeed. Well, up too late. As usual.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Roger got a new left knee
Good to hear from you. It's great that things have improved so much for you and your wife that your daughter is able to move out and move on. I'm sure you'll both miss her---a blessing she was able to be their for the two of you when you really needed her.

Wishes for continued healing for both of you.
[Bonesmart.org] Roger got a new left knee
 
Thanks Judy! OUr daughter has been wanting to move forward and finally feels she can. She loved her current job, but needed a bigger challenge. And of course, more money. She will actually be working for one of the areas biggest healthcare providers, which we haven't used ourselves. Yet... But her position (billing/clerical) comes with benefits she couldn't afford through her former employer, and more money than she'd likely ever make there as well.. She starts Monday, and will probably be moving within the month. In case my wife does have to go in the hospital again, at least she can be visited more frequently than before. Sad, but yes, we think like that these days.
 
Couple little updates. My wife had a minor surgical procedure that is taking its sweet time healing. But, she fell in the middle of the night a month ago setting a hairline fracture in the lower knee joint (left knee). It wasn't visible in the ER xrays, but my OS had an MRI done and can see it in new xrays. She is in an immobilizer brace and doing well, doesn't look like surgery will be needed as long as she doesn't push... She has an appointment next week with an eye surgeon to see about her cataracts and kerataconus issues, and to see her surgeon for her slow healing thing and my OS for followups.

For me, I have an appointment next month for my neurosurgeon, 2 year checkup. My neck ROM is improving, just a 10* discrepancy now. Had a massive muscle spasm in my back last week is still quite tender, but livable. And today, i beat down a fear and rode a bicycle. Just in the store. Last couple times I tried, I couldn't pick up both feet. A couple weeks ago I tried to drive up the canyon where I crashed. I had a massive panic attack that kept me from going very far. I don't know the spot, and can't imagine I'd know it. So the over the top emotional response was quite troubling. Oh well, at least I see myself back on a bike...

And I am never political here, but will make an exception. Thanks to the idiots in DC, myself and 650,000 other federal employees are losing 20% of our pay for the next couple months. I am the face of the furloughs brought on by sequestration. Those fatcats throw money around but say I have to do without. Don't vote for incumbents. Politics, off...
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom