Guest viewing is limited

TKR Roger got a new left knee

Roger,
You are not alone. When I have a lot of pain and no sleep I have memory issues as well. Saturday, I went to get money from the atm and couldn't remember the pin number. Then came back to the apartment and there is a code to type in to get in and I had no clue what that number was and forgot my cell phone.
I was lucky my husband was home and had him buzz me in. So yes I know how frustrating it is not to remember stuff. My husband bought me a combination lock to take to the Y and there is no way I will use it -- I am too worried I will forget the combo. I just lock my stuff in the car and carry my cell phone and member card.
I too get really frustated---but there are worse things. Just remember it happens to the best of us.
Greda
 
Roger.....

Ebony And Ivory Live Together In Perfect Harmony
Side By Side On My Piano Keyboard, Oh Lord, Why Don't We?


It's STILL there in my brain!!!!! Ack!!!! I'm going to be forced to listen to something like "Wooly Bully" a few times as therapy!!!



 
Megan, the dog is fine. 200# Mastiff acted as if nothing was wrong after. As for yesterday, I wasn't even having a real taxing day. Today on the other hand, well. I'm tired and sore. Pretty close to overdoing things.

Greda, my AADD causes me minor memory issues, but nothing like recently. I've never been so stuck as to shut down like that. Funny what I DO remember when I don't even try. Wife says I'm a repository for useless facts, but I beat her brother at trivial pursuit nearly 30 years ago, and he still won't play me. (I'm not college educated, and he is now a professor!)

Many apologies Jamie... Wooly Bully, awesome... For some reason, many of us had Jimmie Page playing. Worked well. And, Boston finished my day.
 
This hasn't been a great month. *I* am fine. My wife was supposed to have some bone cement injected into her T5 vertebra to stabilize it on the 4th of April, but the hospital didn't get the right paperwork to insurance in time, so that didn't happen. On the 11th, my wife fell again. Nobody home, she wasn't terribly hurt, but isn't strong enough to get herself off the floor easily. Our Mastiff is a wonderful animal, knew something wasn't right and laid next to her for a while. My wife later used the dog to push off of and lean on to get into her recliner. She thinks she laid on the floor for about 2 hours, and her cell phone was upstairs. Our daughter felt something was wrong about noon, and left work. And after talking my wife into going to the ER to be checked out, called me. Sometimes I HATE being in my vanpool. My wife had been exhibiting behaviors we have come to associate with a pending infection. And we were right. She was admitted to the hospital for malnourishment, dehydration and MRSA infection. And she has a bed sore though she isn't bed bound. Its serious enough to require a plastic surgeon's attention.

I have a real fear of MRSA, as many of us here do. I don't know how she picked it up. The malnourishment is an ongoing issue, she has trouble swallowing, dry mouth, and various digestive issues. Yet I can't get her to use all the supplements she needs. And for some reason after her fall last September, she doesn't get hungry very often. Her dry mouth issues make it harder for her to know she needs to drink as well. So she is on aggressive IV antibiotics and other stuff, and a feeding tube.

Wednesday the 18th, she was moved to an Long Term Acute Care hospital, which is actually in another hospital. At present, we expect her to be there for about 6-8 weeks, and then possibly a nursing home/rehab facility after that. One real upside here, is that on 1 May, thanks to her finally being approved for disability, Medicare kicks in and my current insurance is only too happy to take a back seat as secondary.

It doesn't help ME much that I don't have any vacation time available, but even if I did, we are currently entering our very busy season at work, and we are shorthanded. As well as events with high priority added into our schedule taking away needed prep time. One of the guys stepped in a hole he didn't see in the desert. Has micro-fractures in his hip socket now. I've not commented on fears much, but sometimes, stepping off a curb for me is so fraught with fear I can barely take that step. I am very careful about where my feet are whenever I'm out of my work truck.

And of course, I hate yard work, but it must be done. I am probably going to hire someone this summer to do a lot of it for us. I hate spending the money for that, but I've really let things go in my front yard and don't want my neighbors too much more upset with me.

Whew. That's off my chest. I feel better to let that out. Headed for the gym, then a short visit to my wife. Home for some yard work, and early to bed. Have to be to work at 4AM instead of 7 for the next couple days...
 
:hate-shocked: OH, Roger, what a lot has been piled on your plate and your wife's. I'm sure you must be feeling a bit overwhelmed by all of this considering all the two of you have been through in the past year. Ah, when it rains it does seem to pour and pour and pour.

Please do take care of yourself. Both you and your wife will be in my prayers. Hopefully, you've come to the end of a long line of woes.

Please keep us posted. We care.
 
Oh Roger, I am so sorry to read all of this. You know what I have just gone through and am still going through but yet in a different way...on the other side so to speak and my heart certainly goes out to you. Just like you and so many others have told me to PLEASE take care of yourself so that you can be of help to your wife. Keep smiling! But yet no one knows better than the the heavy burden we carry keeping everything together right down to the yard work being done. Life carries on. I am glad that we can all be here for you just like everyone was for me. You guys really brightened up my day and gave me strength just knowing that there were so many caring people out there, some one to talk to. I am glad that you shared with us because now we can also check in on you!

Take care of your self and we will do our best to take care of you too! xo :doggieshmooze:

p.s. I know the fear of stepping off the curb or into a hole. When I have run, my biggest fear is stumbling and falling forward on my knee. Sometimes I wonder if I should just give it up! But then I guess I could stumble and fall walking to the mailbox huh? :thumb:
 
Roger ~

I'm so sorry to hear about the problems you and your wife have been dealing with in the past year. It sounds pretty overwhelming. I'm amazed that you are still able to do what you do - working, visiting, yard work, etc.


Please listen to Bonnie and take care of yourself, so you can continue to care for your wife! When you're used to being the caregiver, you sometimes don't stop doing things, even when you are the one who needs care. Just make sure you take time to rest and "take care".

Keeping you and your wife in my prayers...
 
Roger,
I will keep you and your wife in my prayers. Take care!
Greda
 
Roger, glad you were able to get all that off your chest. Good to know we can share other problems here, even if they're remotely connected to TKR.

Hope thing get a little better.
 
Roger:
You are my hero. I am just dealing with two recovering knees. You on the other hand are dealing with knees, back, your wife and other things and you STILL have a very positive attitude!
Hang I there, my friend. Things will start to turn in your direction.
 
Jim, I say it frequently here, but you humble me... Hero? Just a man doing what I have to do. And thanks all...

I noticed a couple milestones have passed. 1000 posts. How did I manage that? And I missed that I have been here a year now. Well, I have been busy.

I will be at 18 months post TKR in a bit over a week. I have to admit that I really don't think much about my knee. Seriously. Its in there, but its me... Yeah, I have other things occupying my mind, other injuries and just getting older. My other knee creaks and makes noise, continuing issues with my heels (right one is getting better, the left one isn't and I still have that bone spur that isn't bothering me right now.) and the ITB issue that came up after my back injuries. The ITB is getting better and less trouble, just happy I got on it before it became painful.

My back, is getting better and stronger. I still am a ways from being normal. I can do about 75% of what I used to do. Strength and stamina are still a lot lower than before. I really think the TKR put my head in a better frame of reference for recovery. Yes, my TKR recovery was above normal, but my buddy Neil's is AMAZING!!! Day by day.

Day by day is how we are dealing with my wife's issues. We are planning on 6-8 more weeks of hospital and skilled nursing facility. Maybe more, maybe less. Regardless, day by day is all we can do.

Thanks again everyone...
 
Wow, wow, wow... Busiest work schedule is over, still some big stuff over the next couple weeks, but not HUGE stuff every day for a while... I'm tired and sore, getting up at 2:30 everyday for the last 2 weeks (well, 4 days a week) and putting in 12-14 hour days, and really bad chairs, and lots of miles in my work truck have taken their toll. But I don't HURT! And that is good. (Hot tub at the gym every few days helps!) I destroyed one of my boots today, so I need to get some new ones this weekend. Yea.

My wife had a minor surgery 2 weeks ago today to further clean the wound, and we expect a "flap revision" in the next couple weeks. Then she will spend a bit over a week, in the hospital, then 4 weeks in the acute care facility and then some rehab, physical therapy... She has seen Mother's Day in the hospital, and will have her birthday, Memorial Day, our 29th anniversary, Father's Day, and possibly Independence Day. And somehow, she is still a bit more upbeat than I expected. She has a feeding tube, but still eats. Her nutritional levels are improving, which is good. They do have her doing physical therapy, and is actually walking pretty good. But then the 4 weeks on bed rest only will undo what she is working on now. But if she doesn't do this now, it will only be harder.

My frustration is this could have been avoided. But thats my issue, not yours...

Sooooo, I felt I needed a gift for myself. And, I felt the need for broken link removed: https://www.utkilts.com/ut-deluxe-olive-green-utility-modern-kilt/.
[Bonesmart.org] Roger got a new left knee


Ordered it Saturday and it showed up yesterday, so of course, I wore it to work today!!!

[Bonesmart.org] Roger got a new left knee

Well received, not something I would do everyday, but it was the end of a major project and I felt compelled to do something different. I'd been threatening this for sometime, and today was the day.:snork:

I don't take myself too seriously. I believe it keeps me sane.:loll:
 
:hysterical: I'm betting it's never a dull moment for your coworkers!!!! You've definitely got the right attitude to get you through anything!!!

Hope things go well with your wife. You guys have certainly had your challenges.....
 
Whether crafty or crazy, none of the others in my shop would have dared. After what I went through last year, they offer me a lot of leeway, we are allowed shorts for work, and I am almost always the first one each season. Even if it snows or rains. A kilt at work is new for everyone. And, I was covered for the protection of others... Afterall, I love my job and would hate to seriously offend anyone.
 
We NEED a picture of that, Roger! So man up and put it in your next post!
 
The first pic above by my Jeep is right after pulling the kilt from my mailbox. The second is where I work. The desert. Not raining or snowing right now... I have shoveled snow a few times in shorts. Really iritates the neighbors.
 
Yes, my TKR recovery was above normal, but my buddy Neil's is AMAZING!!! Day by day.
.

"... some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness surgically implanted along with a joint replacement."
 
Roger, just found those pics! LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT! I agree--taking yourself too seriously is just a pain. Nothing beats a really good sense of humor----and you've definitely got that.
 
Back
Top Bottom