Guest viewing is limited

TKR Roger got a new left knee

Roger....IT bands can be notoriously stubborn once they become tight and painful. I have heard good results from the foam roller, though. So it will be good for you once you can do that exercise. Don't give up!! (But then I know you won't.....:wink1:)
 
I use my knuckles - just as effective! In fact, these last few weeks, I've realised I've been having some pain all down the outside of my right thigh. Hip to knee - really painful. When I finally twigged that it was the ITB rearing its ugly head again, I've started driving my knuckles down my thigh. Lord, it really hurts while I am doing it but immediately after, it feels really really comfortable! I highly recommend it.
 
It just irritates me a bit that the ITB wasn't a problem through the knee recovery. At least it isn't painful at this time. I just don't like the feeling of it "twanging" every time I go down for squats and such. (Body weight only!!!!)
 
great report, Roger. :yay:
 
Fun day in the gym today. Nothing I didn't approve through my PT. I had given him a list of stuff I THOUGHT I could do. He crossed off 2/3 of that list. HA!!! Anyway, a couple things I can do include short crunches and back extensions. Both I used to love. The short crunches I can do, but can't do the full crunches yet. Or maybe never. Back extensions on the other hand, I felt pretty good about. We'll see how I feel tomorrow!
 
It is great that you that you are doing so well after such a terrible accident. Just don't overdo -- it is easy to do too much when you are feeling good. I am impressed you were able to stop meds completely. I'm jealous. I was wondering how your wife was doing? I hope she is doing okay...you both have had such a hard time in 2001...hopefully 2012 will be a terrific year for your family.
Greda
 
Had my friend that does Home Health PT stretch and massage my legs. She had me do some other stretches since my hamstrings are TIGHT! If I don't have bruises tomorrow, I'll be surprised. She hasn't worked with my knee since last spring and was very happy with my flex and extension. She also expected me to be quite a bit more "fragile" than I feel. And asked if I had any limitations or precautions before she started. And she showed me some other good stretches I can do myself that will help both the IT Band and the hammies. I'm very lucky to have friends like this.

I just realized today, my drivers license expires next week with my birthday. Good thing they have an app for that for my iPad to study!!! I'm losing my mind and I'm not even 50 yet! and while it makes some nervous, I can joke about my accident. I can blame all sorts of things on my head injury...

Just remember, its better to feel, than not.
 
I am gonna try this again Roger! I typed a reply here this morning and before I could finish, BAM, the browser just closed and so gone was the reply! I hate it when that happens.

I am glad that you are starting to get back to your active self again. Being that I think that you and I are a lot alike...in being active, over doing it, and paying for it later, I was going to tell you that I also have had troubles with a thighs IT Band and Hamstrings. In the past 5 days, I've had my hamstrings worked on twice by my PT and they are crackling with scar tissue. We've concentrated so much on the knee and quads that the hamstrings almost were forgotten. He used that tool that I had described in my original thread and boy or boy did it help! The Hamstring and the Calve soft tissue work loosened me up so much that the tight band feeling around my knee almost completely disappeared. That is why I had such a great, natural feeling 6 mile run on Saturday. As for the IT Band, I use a foam roller for that all the time. At PT, I have one at home, and since we sell them at the store where I work, sometimes when there are no customers in the store I just get down on the floor an foam roll my IT Band. Really, really helps!

Keep up the good work you are always an inspiration to others here on Bone Smart! :thumb:
 
Bonnie, I look forward to the day I can do the roller laying down sideways. The IT is certainly stubborn! And no bruising. My PT was out today so we had a "guest" PT. while he was left with very general instructions for other patients, he had been left very specific instructions for me and my buddy recovering from shoulder surgery. He was a lot more "strenuous" on my neck than I cared for and let him know it.

I hope your run goes smooth!
 
Roger, you are truly Amazing!!!! If anyone reads your posts & doesn't believe in miracles, they're the one's losing their minds.:wacko:
The nasty ITB is frustrating, mine flares up frequently & continues to be problematic since my BTKR on the right leg.....uggh , but life is so much better, I can live with it.
You should win the Award for Determination!
 
Thanks Darlene! You humble me... I'm just glad the IT Band isn't causing me pain. Just an annoyance now, but hoping to get it stretched before it becomes an issue... Though it is loud enough to hear as it snaps.
 
One thing that helped me with my IT band issues was to use an ice cup directly on it in an ice massage. I froze water in paper cups and, as the ice melted, I peeled the paper away. I iced the affected area with this "ice massage" and it helped out a great deal--especially after stretching or exercising.

Stretching those IT Bands is not easy nor fun---but I have no doubt that you will be successful in loosening them up! I never liked doing the IT Band stgretches---very difficult to get a good stretch without an thera-band---but both of mine eventually loosened up.
 
Still stretching. I think its going to take a while though to get the ITB stretched out. Guys in general aren't very good at stretching throughout life, and it gets harder to stretch as we get older. At least this is how I see it. Can't believe I'm actually considering a Yoga class at the gym... I do alternate ice and heat across the side of the knee where the ITB snaps. Ice before a workout and heat after. Jacuzzi at the gym is broken, again. Hope it is repaired soon.

A few weeks back we dropped lower body exercises in PT, and we've been slowly adding new upper body work. Trying to get some neck and shoulder posture corrected. Some of my poor posture is from the accident and recovery. But a lot of it is years of carrying myself poorly. Sitting at my desk isn't that great for me either.

Overall, I feel pretty good. I feel strong, but know I need to keep my steady and slow progress. I can certainly tell when I"ve been on my feet too long, or been in one spot too long. I pushed snow yesterday with my shovel instead of scooping and tossing. Took my time, and when I was half done, a neighbor came along with his snowblower and finished it for me. He did everyone's driveway in the cul-de-sac. He was just happy to be able to run his expensive machine for the first time this season.

And, speaking of snow. And posture... I must look pretty funny watching where I step when its slippery. I have really good shoes that barely move on ice. But I am SO leery of falling, more so than with my knee, at times I'm nearly immobilized.

Saturday night we went out with some friends (shared party for a couple of us with birthdays!), and I felt good, stood and chatted at length. Sat as I needed to. Its good to feel "normal". Good to BE normal.
 
Great report, yes ITB is stubborn, with time and stretching it will improve.
Walked one ice yesterday with the same apprehension you have.
I like the idea of yoga, just go easy.
 
Its good to feel "normal". Good to BE normal.

How true!! :yes 4: I love following your story and I have no doubts that you can do anything you set your mind to! To say you are an inspiration is an understatement. :thumb:
 
I do my own massage on my ITB. Make a fist and dig your knuckles in deep and draw them up and down the length of your thigh. Takes your breath away at first but after a few passes, it gets better. I've been doing this for about a fortnight, though not every night, and it's so much better than it was.
 
Roger, have you tried the reverse with the heat and ice with your ITB? I only ask because it is hard to stretch out something cold and easy to stretch something warm. Each day when I arrive at PT, they put the heat packs on my knee, even now after all this time. That starts the loosening process then I go hop on the stationary bike and the peddling continues to stretch and loosen things up. When I am done working my knee, we end with ice. My PT really, really likes heat for working soft tissues, and icing to calm it all down once the workout is done! It seems to be working great for me this way! Good luck, I know you will get to where ever you want to be, you are just that way...like me! :yes 4:
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom