Guest viewing is limited

TKR Roger got a new left knee

Before things too far off topic here... I managed to snag images from the CDs I got when I left the hospital. I had Xrays, MRI and CT scans. But condensed it all down to 14 images. I don't know if this will make anyone squeemish or not. But thought some might enjoy the pics anyway.
 
I was really surprised how much damage had been done! And you can clearly see no screws into T9 since it was so badly damaged.

My helmet saved my life, my friend kept me from hurting myself further. But if you need a Neuro-surgeon, I can reccommend one! She is pretty good, if I say so myself.
 
nice fixation, Roger. Plenty of gas in your gut, though! :th_heehee:
 
Roger,

You kind if look like Mr. Potato Head in drag. The Good Lord must really by your side. Not too many of us would have come out of that in as good of shape as you did. Hope your wife is doing well.

Wishing you and Yours,:mrych: and a Happy, Healthy, Accident Free New Year.
 
Thats not gas, Jo... Thats winter reserves!

Rose, I really have to credit my buddy since he practically sat on me to keep me from getting up. If I had managed to get up, all bets are off whether I'd even be walking by now.
 
That was a good friend who obviously knew his first aid! :thumb:
 
Hoping the New Year is good to us for a change!!! And for all my Bone Smart friends!

I was in the gym yesterday, pushing limits (hey, as the resident nutcase, would you expect less?). In therapy I've graduated from lower body work to strictly back, upper body and neck work. So of course, thats what I was working on. Wanted to do some ab work, and thought I'd hang and do leg raises and such. NOPE!! No hanging, it didn't really HURT, but was horribly uncomfortable. So I guess I'll wait another 4 months. And I tolerated 40 pounds in a couple lifts. Patience, Roger... Patience.

On the upside, I'm covering more distance in less time on the treadmill. Energy is improving. But I sure can't do more than 3 or 4 workouts a week yet. And of course, the gym closed early yesterday, so I didn't get to the jacuzzi. Bummer.

Some like resolutions, I prefer goals. Didn't QUITE get where I wanted last year, but the bike crash is only partially responsible. Again, my first is to heal. Second is to eat better, smarter. And third, to get stronger, faster. I've lost some weight already, more is better, but thats not as important this year.

While I can't help but think of how things could have been, I'm thankful for the second chances I got after my crash. And for the people that helped get me here.
 
Well, all things considered, I am amazed you are as far along as you are. There doesn't seem to be much that keeps you down. But th:thud:e accident did take you back a month or two with the knee so hardly surprising you feel like you have some catching up to do.

However, this was a bit :skeptical:
I sure can't do more than 3 or 4 workouts a week yet.
:thud:
 
Josephine, I'm including PT in the mix as workouts too. Everything related to this has taken me so much longer to get back than the knee did. I can wait, the knee did teach me SOME patience.

I really can't explain my progress. I'm no superhuman, I can't even chalk it up to clean living. I'm just healing.

Interestingly, I've asked my family to write down some of the things I said and did that I don't recall in those first days after the crash. Apparently I was always showing my knee scar and reminding everyone that I didn't hurt it...

Time for neck exercises. Gotta work on getting ROM back.
 
It is funny to hear stories like that after the crisis is over :th_heehee:. My dad years ago was having minor test that required him to be sedated. A friend from the church took him and the nurse thought she was his wife. The nurse told him to tell his wife good-bye...in a really weird accent he said "she's not my wife". He has just watched the pink panther movies and he was copying the part where they ask if the dog bites and he say "he's not my dog." My dad is usually really serious so it was really funny.

Anyway, don't overdo...you know the drill.
Happy 2012!
Greda
 
I lost count of the times when I took my sister (9 years my senior) to clinics and such and was asked if I wanted to come in with 'my mother'! :hysterical:
 
PT today was good. Doing different stuff (taking less time though) and having my neck manipulated. Therapist can feel whats stiff and tight and is working to soften them up. My shoulder and neck posture is all messed up and I MUST work on that. New exercise. On my stomach. Arms out in front above my head. Lift opposite leg and arm. 5 times each. Feeling it tonight, but admit, I kinda like it.

I have a small confession. I wanted to have a beer on Christmas. So I took meds on Friday normally, but none Christmas Eve at all, or Christmas day. Had my beer, actually, it was big enough for 2 mugs and 9%. Beer is GOOD!!!! Next day I felt pretty good and decided to not have any more Roxycodone. If I could tolerate it. And now, 2 weeks later, still none. Its only been 6 weeks since I was off the OxyContin as well. I can easily make things hurt but its not enough for even Ibuprofin even. Yes, its sore. But you know what? At least I can FEEL!! And that isn't something I take for granted.
 
Roger....that's wonderful progress about your meds. Sometimes you just have to take a deep breath and go for it.....and you DID IT!!!!
 
I bought that beer the day before my crash, to share with my friend after that bike ride. My friend INSISTED I have his share. I do have meds if I need them, but I doubt I will.
 
I'm going to add I'm becoming a bit concerned with the IT Band issue in my left knee. It still doesn't hurt, but the stretches aren't helping yet. Next step is using a foam roller and body weight, but I can't "plank" yet to do it properly. I can get the roller for less than $30. Yippee, I hope this doesn't get any worse before I can roll it out.
 
Back
Top Bottom