Guest viewing is limited

TKR Roger got a new left knee

I'm quite guilty of going to the gym just for the jacuzzi. I like to flex the knee in the hot water. And now, it feels really good on my back!
 
I have gone to the gym for the jacuzzi and sauna. I do ROM while there.:th_heehee:
 
Those jacuzzis are addicting. I also like the dry heat of a sauna---I can really get good stretches done there, too.

When I was in college I used to head to the sauna at the gym whenever I had a head cold. Then afterwards I would get an order of hot and sour soup to really open up the sinuses. :th_heehee:
 
Yesterday my back was finally feeling better. Took things as easy as I could. Today at PT I felt good enough to do all my exercises again. I felt like such baby Friday. So it was good to be back where I had been.

Saturday, my wife decided she just HAD to go to the mall. On the weekend? Two weeks before Christmas? She must be insane! We had troubles parking, lots of small spaces my 4 door pickup won't fit in, and idiots that can't park straight. MY frustration level spiked high on the scale and I decided not to mess with the mall. Well, we went this afternoon. Parked with ease. My wife walked the length of the mall and we had a snack at the food court before going back through, shopping and then on to the truck. She even managed to carry a couple of her own bags, taking a load off me. Its been a couple months since she was in this mall, and longer for me as I truly loathe crowds. Bright spots, she did well. Slow, but well. There is a new and wonderful TEA store in the mall. I LOVE tea as much as I loathe crowds. The last bright spot, folks here in the States are familiar with "HotDog On A Stick" shops at mall food courts. I tried their Vegetarian HotDog on a Stick, and was surprised it tasted OK. It is an odd color though.

I was very humbled though when we first got to the mall. A lady getting out of the car next to us was helping her husband from the car to his wheelchair. While the thoughts of how everything could be different are with me daily, I truly appreciated this fact for maybe the first time since getting my collar off two weeks ago. Humbling.

New thing I've noticed while stretching and doing lunges and squats. A "popping" feel in my knee. PT concurs my IT band needs stretching. No pain, but will ice daily anyway for awhile. Funny how my recent lack of activities presents me with an issue I managed to avoid post-op with the knee.

My wife is doing pretty good in PT. She is still quite weak, but improving slowly. She isn't very fond of getting comfortable with an exercise, and having more added. Progress is progress. Now, to help with her diet. While I'm trying to lose weight, she needs to GAIN weight. Eating better ought to give her more energy and help her continue to improve.

After the flare up last week from driving that truck, I hated calling my son and cancelling driving to his place for Christmas. I couldn't imagine 5 hours in a car each way, even spending the night to break up the drive. Well, their schedules changed, his wife will be doing a photo shoot on XMas eve which more than covers their cost to drive, so they can split XMas between her folks and us.

My daughter has her room painted. Lavender. And she painted a tree in white in one corner. I didn't think I would like it, but its kind of charming. More important, she says it doesn't smell like ME anymore... She will be moving her stuff back in tomorrow. At least something is getting back to normal...

And last for tonight, I still hate sneezing. Most times its not TOO bad. But now and again, I get one that nearly has me in tears. One today was like that. I know things will continue to get better, but sure wish I wouldn't sneeze until then!
 
I was very humbled though when we first got to the mall. A lady getting out of the car next to us was helping her husband from the car to his wheelchair. While the thoughts of how everything could be different are with me daily, I truly appreciated this fact for maybe the first time since getting my collar off two weeks ago. Humbling.

We have a lot to be thankful for despite the difficulties we encounter on the road to recovery. Bless you for taking your wife to the mall and being supportive while doing so. There are so many beautiful things to see and experience at Christmas.
 
Roger....this is such a beautiful post! It is always great to witness a miracle. God bless you....you're a real treasure!!!
 
Thursday, my wife saw her neuro doc and was allowed to remove her brace and collar. She is weak enough, though, she was given a soft collar for support as needed. Her attitude has improved drastically, as can be imagined.

Of course, I now need to keep my distance from her. I seem to have caught cold. Last thing she needs! Mine will pass, but the first sign of a cough from her, she goes to the doctor! Worst right now for me is I'm sneezing a lot. Can't stop it. I'll take all the other symptoms of a cold with a smile if I could stop sneezing.

I'm currently waiting to hear back from another neck injury patient. All I know of him is his was in June and more severe, but he is walking too. The go between is a sponsor he rode for. Turns out they had heard of my accident, but nobody knew my name. Weird.

My big Christmas present was delivered the other day. I'll wait to open and assemble it though. I have more tools than my two (too small) rolling tool boxes can fit. My wife and daughter got me a much larger box. It weighs over 300 pounds empty! Of course I have all winter to get the three boxes organized. My wife is concerned that if I have more room for tools, I'll need more tools. Silly woman, of COURSE I'll need more tools! I'll use the tools more than she uses the closet full of shoes, jackets and handbags she has. (Roger, you are being a tad bit insensitive... Yes, I know!). Well I will once its warm and I feel like working on stuff. I have an old minibike that needs a new motor, and I saw photo once of a minibike with a snowplow...
 
Like this???

[Bonesmart.org] Roger got a new left knee
 
Speaking of tools, I just treated myself to a powered staple/nail gun! Small variety for doing handicraft jobs but natty never the less! :yes 4:
 
"You never can have too many tools" that's what my husband says and of course you always need the correct tool for the job. I agree with him. Have fun organizing your new tool box zjrog.:xmastree:
 
Don't forget, vacuum cleaners, food processors, and electric knives are all tools!
 
My friend did some front end work on my Jeep for me today. Stuff I normally could do on my own. But I could barely carry the parts out of the store on my own. He wouldn't hear of me taking the Jeep to a shop...
 
Since I heat my home with firewood and a woodburning stove, I have an assortment of chainsaws---three gas-powered and even a small electric one for tiny jobs.

I also have a 28-ton pneumatic log splitter,a powerwasher, weed-eater, and lawn tractor,

We have several Tractor Supply stores around here as well as a Rural King, which is like a Tractor Supply on steroids.
 
I have no need of chainsaws, Tim. Though I do use one now and again for trail maintenance projects with my 4x4 club. And my yard is too small for a lawn tractor. The minibike is a 1963 Bonham Tote Gote model 600. Designed to work more than play, marketed towards outdoorsmen and hunters. Bigger than the average minibike, but not as big as real motorcycles.

We don't have Tractor Supply out here in Utah. I've been to a couple while traveling though. The old Kansas farmboy in me approves...
 
Back
Top Bottom