Guest viewing is limited

TKR Roger got a new left knee

In PT we have been using heat on my neck which is tight and very stiff. I'm not sure its getting any better though. We'll keep working on it though. Still stretching the IT Band. Sure isn't easy or fun.

In the gym, feeling good and getting stronger, slowly. Adding reps not weight. Back extensions with a twist to work more muscle. I can't tell you how good that feels. Really. Added in crunches on the balance ball and other core work. And have managed to get my mile on the treadmill down to less than 19 minutes. But I can't walk much farther than that mile before my back reminds me I've done enough. Time and Patience, right? I can't tell you how easy it would be to go past that point either. I don't mind the stiffness and soreness from the worked muscles, because its nothing compared the pain I've been through. And I've already said, that feels good.

You'll like this Bonnie... Side planks today. And stretching the ITB on the foam roller. Does that ever hurt!!!! (why do I have to weigh so MUCH!!!) Front planks aren't painful, but I'll work a bit more before doing them. Just like hanging for dips. Lots of time ahead to do those things.

I needed to work on my Jeep yesterday. Its been stalling and being hard to start. Classic symptoms for a crank sensor. I actually bought the replacement in June when it first started acting up. And then it ran fine again. This past week its been tough to start and died on my a few times in traffic. Time to do it. I'm glad I bought a creeper years ago, even if I hadn't used it till recently. Beats laying on the ground. Got the part replaced, but my friend stopped by to manage the wiring harness. The new sensor is in a spot thats too hard for me to stretch for currently. Jeep is back to normal. And WILDLY therapeutic to be back under the Jeep, getting things done.

Making plans to finally finish my camping trailer project, an old 1972 Starcraft tent trailer. I figure its turning 40 and needs the exercise. But have some minor and major repairs. Bought it 3 years ago for $80. The roof was a mess, rebuilt it, but didn't do it right. So I need to do it again. And get new cables for the lift and a new axle and bigger tires. I figure that with our injuries this past year, camping on the ground isn't going to be any fun anymore. This trailer isn't fancy, barely more than a tent on wheels. But that suits us fine. And some friend of ours want us to come visit in the California central Valley and use their cabin for a few days. I know we could really use a trip and a real getaway...

I realized the other day, its been a bit over 5 months ago since my world was shattered and given back to me. While it would be a shame to waste the new opportunities presented me, I'm not forcing anything. I realize how brutally fragile I still am. And don't shy away from whatever it takes to keep moving forward every day. I won't be jumping off any ATVs for a very long time, if ever. But the attitude it took to do that is front and center.:yes 4:

Y'all have a great week, I will!
 
Way to go Roger, so glad to hear that your progressing at such a steady pace. Both you & Bonnie are motivating me to do more strength training.

Happy Birthday Rager!:yahoo:
 
Sad day yesterday... Might have been my last day in PT. Therapist is consulting both my rehab doc (ordered the PT to begin with) and my neurosurgeon for further instruction. At issue more than anything while *I* am doing pretty good overall, my neck muscles aren't relaxing. Between the PT manipulating my neck, icing, heating, stimulation, ultrasound and LOTS of different stretching it is still tight and hard. It may be too early to consider injected muscle relaxers, don't know if they will interfere with bone healing. I have an appointment with the rehab doc on the 23rd, an appointment THEY called me to make yesterday. After PT. Interesting coincidence.

Like I said, I feel I'm doing pretty good. It is tough NOT pushing things. But so much rides on this. Some exercises and weights are at my limits and some I can do without issue. Time and patience, right? Even the ones I do easy, I won't push higher weights because I don't want to develop some areas more than others.

My OLD knee is bugging me a bit more. Hope its just the weather but pretty sure its time to think about seeing my OS. If it needs replacing, I need ot push it as far down the road as I can since I've had so much time from work this past 15 months. So hope I can make it another year.

I'm going to miss PT...
 
Funny how we get addicted to the routine of PT. I am almost looking forward to starting again after my second TKR in March.
 
I love PT also and if I could not go, I would be so sad. We do knee stuff and lots of strengthening two days a week, even still. I have great insurance it just keeps paying! One day though I will come to the end of the line for PT but the good thing is, that I can still work out there and the workout will take into consideration my TKR. Since they are sports performance training and sports med, I don't have to leave I can stay as long as I want. They are all my good friends now! Good luck Roger...you've had more than your share! :doggieshmooze:
 
Roger, even with the neck problems you're still experiencing, you are doing so very, very well. I continue to be amazed at your progress.
 
Roger,

I don't mean to be a downer, but I have had 3 cervical fusion surgeries. The last one was about 5 years ago it was C4-C5. Dr. said it was a mess and the two above it were not in very good shape either. Many,Many bone spurs beside the ruptured disc. It took the best of 2 years for me to come back from it and many,many trips to the Pain Management Dr. with injections and epidurals to get it to come around right and the muscles just did not want to co-operate, but finally I am doing pretty well from it. I started with a fusion at C6-C7, then that one crumbled wnet back in and did C-5-C6 and repaired C-6C7 so was fused with plate from 5 thru 7. Then #3 removed plate at 5 thru 7 and replated 4-5. So my end solution is I am fused from C4 thru C7. If I am not extremely careful from C2-c4 could blow and then I will have a real mess.

In my case because of there being so much fused there are very few exercises PT can do with me.

Never fear and don't give up it is like the knee recovery slow and easy and patience and it will finally get there.
 
Jim, Tim, I'm happy to reach this point, but sure will miss going to PT.

Bonnie, my wife will still be going and I can stretch and consult when I take her.

Jamie, that's as good as a hug!!!

Wow Rose, that's a lot of work in a very small area!!! I'm a little frustrated of course, but anyone would be. Time will tell of course. I'm fully prepared for this to take a long time. August wasn't that long ago, and next August is a milestone date. In the grand scheme of things, August isn't that far away. I have about 90% ROM in my neck and can turn my upper body enough to get the rest of that when I need to look over my shoulders.

On another note, I had someone I hadn't seen since before the crash ask me how I felt I was doing. I asked him how HE thought I was doing. He said I looked about 65% of my old self. I disagreed. I feel I'm at 30%. Sure I project a strong outward appearance (he also said it looked like I had my swagger back!), but *I* know I'm still fairly fragile. I might just be a little more critical of myself, but better than thinking I'm better off than I really am.

Everyday is a blessing.
 
I forgot to mention. I saw my normal doc the other day, first time I've seen her since just before my TKR. She was pleased to see my blood pressure down, and my weight, until she saw what I'd been through. I'd been concerned with pain in both my heels, thinking arthritis was settling in. She disagrees. Thinking since my gait has changed twice this year, that my heels are bearing the brunt of it. She suggested I try some different insoles in my shoes. So I bought some from a running store after trying on several. Put them in my sneakers and my work shoes. After a week, I think there is some improvement. But more time will tell. Personally, I'd rather go this route than medicate. So we will see. I see her again Friday for a physical. Blood work was done the other day.
 
roger:
We can never forget that the foot bone is connected to the knee bone, and that is connected to the backbone!!!
Insoles are a great start. I needed to get new shoes for my failed TKR. So sad, I am having my revision, which means...more shoes!!!
Give yourself time. You have been through alot. Don't jump of of any ATV's anymore....
Sandy
 
Roger.....you might want to consider some custom orthotics for your foot pain. Many, many people get relief from them.
 
Sandy, no jumping off NOTHIN! Well for a while. It hurts to make elevators bounce.

Jamie, my doc wants me to try these insoles first befor e going to custom orthotics. I'm not averse to them though.
 
Hi Roger You are such an inspiration to me. You have come so far and I pray that you will continue to get stronger and better.
 
I'll let a secret out. I have inspiration of my own, my brothers and sisters in uniform that may never be able to do what I can today. Seeing how some of them come through so much worse than I went through IS inspiring. Attitude is everything. Sounds a bit trite but its very true.

Thanks! And good luck with your upcoming TKR!
 
roger:
We can never forget that the foot bone is connected to the knee bone, and that is connected to the backbone!!!
Or to put it another way "everything is connected to everything else"! :thumb:
 
I have inspiration of my own, my brothers and sisters in uniform that may never be able to do what I can today.

In the February '12 issue of Road Bike magazine, an article is dedicated to men and women in uniform who are riding bikes outfitted for their prosthetics. It is truly humbling and inspiring to read of their fortitude. My new mantra is...Marines don't quit!
 
Sandy, no jumping off NOTHIN! Well for a while. It hurts to make elevators bounce.

Jamie, my doc wants me to try these insoles first befor e going to custom orthotics. I'm not averse to them though.

My wife tried quite a few varieties of orthotics before going to an ortho specializing in foot issues. What a difference!

My best to you---I hope you get these issues taken care of!
 
Been a little bit since my last post... Not real sure the insoles are helping. But giving them time. At least a month.

Went back to my doc for a full physical after having bloodwork done. Other than my back hardware, or despite it, I'm in good overall shape. My Doc went over the bloodwork with me, and was pleased. Liver and kidney function was right down the middle of the range, blood glucose was 88. Triglycerides were 100, overall cholesterol was 206, bad was 127 (under 130 is OK), good was 59. She suggested MORE fiber to help bring the bad down. I had low testosterone when I left the hospital, and she said it was 3. Now I'm at 153, and we'll retest in May. BUT, as my rehab doc said the other day, his number at 3 is FREE testosterone and my TOTAL being at 153 isn't a good indictator, since they aren't the same thing. So I am going to look into what the difference is.

Rehab doc says I'm doing OK, looking at the nerve/numbness in my shoulder and seeing if Gabapentin will help, I was on low doses before, we're doubling that. And, he gave me some muscle relaxers for when I over do things.

News on my wife, she was allowed to remove her collar and brace at the end of December, but she was placed back in it at the end of January. Now they want to get her in a TLSO brace like I was in for the next 5-6 weeks. Her T5 is the issue and they are trying to avoid surgery. But it looks like she will have it if this doesn't help, and will be fused from T2-7. It just isn't healing as they had hoped. So, more fun.

On my third week without going to PT. So weird. I feel good. I'm doing good. Going to the gym is good. Eating decent. Trying to stay active. I can't complain too much about my own situation and issues. Overall.

Thanks folks, for letting me vent and giving me an outlet for all the rest of my life issues... OH!!! Love my new toolbox. I've been taking my time and getting it loaded and organized. But its worth the time and trouble. And very therapeutic.
 
Hi Roger,
I just caught up with all your posts from the beginning. I think you are amazing! With all that you have been through there is not a hint of negativity in any of your posts. Thank you for being an amazing role model to all of us for staying positive. I hope your recovery keeps going well. Good luck to you!
Cheers,
Helen
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom